EVSE - a couple of questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldcowboy

Sorry in advance if these questions are in the forum already - i scanned a couple of pages but didn't come across them:

1. I'm looking at two EVSEs - at this point price will be the determining factor. Either a Bosch 30 amp with 25' cable or the ClipperCreek with the same specs. Does anyone have any comments good or bad for either?

2. For that matter, are there any features of the various EVSEs that are desirable? Do they all more or less start charging when you plug them in and auto-stop when the battery is full? In looking at the documentation of the various manufacturers I don't see anything advertised other than "long cable!" or "able to withstand baseball bat!"

3. Finally, what is preferable - hard wired or plug? Some come with plugs some not. I assume it would be trivial to convert one to the other in any case. Other than ease of removal, are there any other considerations?

thanks

ColdCowboy

I own a Leviton and Schneider but if purchasing today I would choose Clipper Creek over Bosch as I have a perception the CC is better quality and I prefer the CC look.
I believe exterior install requires hardwire to meet NEC. Inside is your choice. Unless you already have a plug I would tend to hardwire.

coldcowboy said:
Sorry in advance if these questions are in the forum already - i scanned a couple of pages but didn't come across them:

1. I'm looking at two EVSEs - at this point price will be the determining factor. Either a Bosch 30 amp with 25' cable or the ClipperCreek with the same specs. Does anyone have any comments good or bad for either?

2. For that matter, are there any features of the various EVSEs that are desirable? Do they all more or less start charging when you plug them in and auto-stop when the battery is full? In looking at the documentation of the various manufacturers I don't see anything advertised other than "long cable!" or "able to withstand baseball bat!"

3. Finally, what is preferable - hard wired or plug? Some come with plugs some not. I assume it would be trivial to convert one to the other in any case. Other than ease of removal, are there any other considerations?

thanks

ColdCowboy

I have the CC HCS-40 and it has been super reliable. It took the electrician more time to run the wire to it then to actually install it. It's made in the USA, support staff is super friendly and knowledgeable and comes with a three year warranty.

Charging is based on when you tell it to start or end. I use the start timer, some use the end timer, and it also depends on the model - I think the base S does not support the end-timer, but I am not sure since I have the SL. I tell mine to start after 11 PM because we have TOU rates here in the Bay Area.
You can charge anytime using a number of options - push the button in the car, use the Nissan owners web portal, or a phone app (both IOS and Android).

I have mine hard wired, but check with a local electrician on the requirements. Here in San Jose, I had to pull a work permit and have it inspected by the city.

Charging is based on when you tell it to start or end. I use the start timer, some use the end timer, and it also depends on the model - I think the base S does not support the end-timer, but I am not sure since I have the SL.

Just so the original poster understands, this poster is talking about Leafs, not EVSEs. Most EVSEs rely on whatever timer the car has, otherwise they just start immediately. Some more expensive ones (and some home-assembled kits) do have their own timers.

LeftieBiker said:
Charging is based on when you tell it to start or end. I use the start timer, some use the end timer, and it also depends on the model - I think the base S does not support the end-timer, but I am not sure since I have the SL.

Just so the original poster understands, this poster is talking about Leafs, not EVSEs. Most EVSEs rely on whatever timer the car has, otherwise they just start immediately. Some more expensive ones (and some home-assembled kits) do have their own timers.

Thanks for the clarification. To further refine that point, are timers for anything other than regulating time of use?

coldcowboy said:
I picked the Clipper Creek HCS-40. Have nothing but positive comments to make about the quality of the product or delivery from the company. The cord is made by Delphi and appears to be a durable construction. Recommend picking a mounting location that supports multiple parking choices. In my case, able to park the car in either direction inside or nose up to the garage door outside. But, could not locate as close to the garage door as wanted so unlikely have enough cord to reach a fender-mounted port like on a Volt.
coldcowboy said:
Personally view the lack of complexity of the Clipper Creek as a positive attribute. It's about as idiot-proof as they come. Clipper Creek will also reset & resume charging on it's own after a power interruption which is a plus.
coldcowboy said:
Check your local building codes beforehand. Some locations require hardwired, permits/inspections, or repeating the process if you ever want to move it if hardwired. Sometimes having a wall outlet installed is easier to deal with code compliance than having hardwired. Make sure the wiring supports the electrical load (30 amp continuous load, usually #8 minimum) and some way to disconnect power if breaker panel is not near the EVSE. Clipper Creek hardwired model comes pre-wired with a 3' outdoor flexible conduit so their box was not opened during install.

Thanks for the clarification. To further refine that point, are timers for anything other than regulating time of use?

Not unless you consider using off-peak metering as another issue. Having a timer on the EVSE as well can simplify charging in that case, I suppose, as you can just leave the car's timer off and use the one on the EVSE. The Leaf's charge timer is ridiculously complicated, and not just newbies but more experienced drivers will find the car hasn't charged on occasion because they got some aspect of programming it "wrong."

coldcowboy said:
LeftieBiker said:
To further refine that point, are timers for anything other than regulating time of use?

The only thing I use the Leaf timers for is to charge to 100% on weekends. I set an end timer only, so it just completes shortly before I leave. Sitting too long at 100% charge degrades the battery. Every other day of the week I have it set to start charging anytime I plug in, but only to 80%, as I work from home and rarely need more weekdays.

keydiver said:
coldcowboy said:
LeftieBiker said:
To further refine that point, are timers for anything other than regulating time of use?

The only thing I use the Leaf timers for is to charge to 100% on weekends. I set an end timer only, so it just completes shortly before I leave. Sitting too long at 100% charge degrades the battery. Every other day of the week I have it set to start charging anytime I plug in, but only to 80%, as I work from home and rarely need more weekdays.

So is there a benefit/difference to charging to 80% vs 100% (other than time)?

coldcowboy said:
Starting with 2014 models (LEAF) you can only charge to 100% unless you get creative with the timers or manually keep track to charge.

I have heard sitting too long at 100% degrades battery life, but w/o any real facts to back it up. There are posts here to say charge to 80% only - all the time - others says only leaving the battery at 100% for days has any effect on the battery chemistry. I don't have to charge every night so I wait till I get down to around 20 miles on the GOM and charge it to 100% (I have no choice since I have the 2014). It finishes charging in about 3 hours (approx 2 AM) and drive to work around 8 AM. But I do think outside temp will trump any charging techniques as seen by cars in very hot climates like AZ, FL and TX, NM, etc.. Just my musings ... :)

coldcowboy said:

If you live in a hilly area, not charging to 100% means you will have regen braking available to you immediately. If the battery is full, you won't get any regen braking until some capacity is freed, during which time you are 100% reliant on friction braking.

My previous experience with Nissans (I've owned several of them over the years) is that their brake rotors tend to warp relatively easily, and become detectable as early as 30k miles. So anything to minimize friction brake usage would help.

I have a 2014 and I charge to 100% every night. I drive in the carpool lane at 80 MPH to my office. Live life and don't worry about it. Your Leaf is deigned to accept a 100% charge. Nissan can verify this.

FWIW: The Schneider EVSE has a "delay" timer built in. You hit the Delay button up to 8 times to delay the start of charge for up to 8 hours. I use it fairly often, have never used the Leaf's built-in timer.

Bought my Schneider from Home Depot's web site, it was on sale at the time. It's been flawless in operation, but the insides are a bit tight when connecting the wiring.

jdunmyer said:
FWIW: The Schneider EVSE has a "delay" timer built in. You hit the Delay button up to 8 times to delay the start of charge for up to 8 hours. I use it fairly often, have never used the Leaf's built-in timer.

Bought my Schneider from Home Depot's web site, it was on sale at the time. It's been flawless in operation, but the insides are a bit tight when connecting the wiring.

Can anyone else comment on this? I'm wondering if the '14 Leaf S has the delay timer, if so, how useful/easy to use is it?

It seems the ClipperCreek HCS & Bosch are budget friendly (Very similar specs) and the Schneider is a bit more but has built in delay feature.

None of the Leaf S models (either 2013 or 2014) has a start delay timer...only an end timer. So if the car thinks it needs 5 hours to charge, and you set it to end at 7 AM, it will start charging at 2 AM.

If you want a start delay timer, you have to step up to the SV or SL, or else as mentioned above buy an EVSE with its own timer system.

DisturbedAle said:
jdunmyer said:

Can anyone else comment on this? I'm wondering if the '14 Leaf S has the delay timer, if so, how useful/easy to use is it?

It seems the ClipperCreek HCS & Bosch are budget friendly (Very similar specs) and the Schneider is a bit more but has built in delay feature.
I have a Schneider with delay timer. It works fine. Just push the button to delay up to 8hrs in 1hr increments. Vehicle timer must be completely off or it will not charge.
I think you will find the LEAF departure timer works just fine and less hassle. I never really used the EVSE timer except to test it out.

Back