EVSE Lock | Under $20 and 30 minutes | My First LEAF Mod

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebill3 said:
Ingineer said:
LOL! For that matter; you could simply park on the EVSE box itself, It's that rugged! Then at least if they cut the cord, all they get is a useless bit of cord!
But, isn't that what they want? The copper wire? That would be the case in these parts, wire theft. ;)
Well the portable EVSE is quite salable and worth more as a complete unit than as copper. Anyway, I see no effective way to protect the cable itself, short of adding some sort of cut resistant sheath or something.

Since most thefts are opportunity driven, The best way to reduce theft is to hide it from view as much as possible. Close the charge door part way so it's resting on the handle, this will somewhat hide both the open door and the handle. Put the cord and EVSE unit as out of sight as possible. Running the cord in the grass is one of my tricks, so from the street you don't see it.

Be sure to put the EVSE unit in a position so it's LED's are not acting like beacons. Face down or cover it with Leaves (the tree kind). Obviously if you can put the unit inside a garage and run just the cord outside, this is the best.

-Phil

I'm sure everyone has already seen this. But just incase....

IMG_1750.JPG

Ingineer said:
LOL! For that matter; you could simply park on the EVSE box itself, It's that rugged! Then at least if they cut the cord, all they get is a useless bit of cord!

Although I would imagine your EVSE will be pretty scuffed up after a few parking operations.

-Phil
ISTM it should be possible to build or hollow out a block of wood so that the EVSE could fit down inside it, with holes on either side to allow the cords to enter/exit,and then drive onto the block. Maybe a piece of 2 x 10 or 2 x 12, with a couple 2 x 4s nailed or screwed on top to give it the necessary depth and provide a surface for the tire,
i.e. something like
_ _
___

and a small ramp at one end if you want to get fancy. A minor PITA to have to position and retrieve it every time you park, but it should make it virtually impossible (without using a jack) for someone to steal the EVSE itself. Of course, this is all a stopgap until owners make it clear to the manufacturers that the portable EVSE needs to be designed so it's capable of being put inside the car somewhere behind a locked entry, without leaving a window open etc. Combine that with a lock on the handle and all any thief can get would be a length of cord.

For owners of our 2013 LEAF Upgrade, we have introduced a new theft-lock feature that will render the EVSE useless if stolen. That doesn't help you if someone snatches your unit, but at least you can take satisfaction in the fact they won't be able to use it! This feature will automatically act as a deterrent (once word gets out) and help reduce thefts. Also, it provides you with a possible recovery mechanism, as if someone steals your unit and calls us trying to figure out why it's not working, we'll know it's been stolen, and it can possibly help Police recover it for you.

-Phil

Back