"EVSEs" built with Open EVSE boards

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1howell

This thread is to show and discuss EVSEs built with the Open EVSE board. If you built an EVSE please post pictures and tell your story. Are you charging a Leaf, Tesla, Volt or something else?

This is my EVSE:
Built in June 2011
Lancaster California.
I use as my primary EVSE for my Leaf.

2012-02-11_15-14-59_153 by chris1howell, on Flickr

2012-02-11_15-11-29_103 by chris1howell, on Flickr

gbarry42 said:
I want that 'scope! :ugeek: Tell me that's not a phone.

Here is one that runs in the iPod, iPhone, and iPad

http://www.oscium.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oscium.com/products/mixed-signal-oscilloscope-imso-104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Correct, the scope is a DSO Quad... I also really like mine, it is really small and great for general hobby use. Perfect for Open EVSE development and testing.

Very nice toy but the bandwith is lacking. I think I will keep using my upgraded Rigol DS1052E.

The nice thing about the Open EVSE project is everything is standard.

The main expense is the J1772 cable (292 shipped and the open EVSE board from Chris (85). I added a relay (23) and a GFI transformer (12) and fuses for my fuseholders(*Ebay 12 shipped and some flex connectors) (5).

Everything else was in my junk box. I had all of the electrical parts from a previous project. The power supply was from an old cd burner and the housing was left over. Its not spiffy but it is fully functional.

Chris and his co-designers are to be commended for a fully functional basic EVSE,

Hi glenn..cool use of recycled parts...pretty hefty contactors and power supply looks big also...do you have part # of descriptions...great job..kpc

I am not super pleased with the case. It is left over from some previous projects. The Hammond cast metal case fits all of the parts and it is very safe but it is ugly. All of my other choices were over $50 in my Mouser catalog.

I have a Federal Pacific breaker panel so fuses are important to me. Years ago I found a bunch of Bussman HEB fuse holders for $0.85 each. They are rated for $480V so I just needed to order fuses for them.

The 12V power supply is rated at 2.1A so it is overkill for this project. But it was on hand.

I ordered a contactor on Ebay with only a photo shown. When it arrived it was huge! I went to my local electronic supply house (Ford Electronics) and said i needed a 12V dpst relay good for at least 30A at 240V. They came up with the relay I used and it was perfect. I was shocked when it came in a NTE box since i think over priced barely working semiconductorrs when I think of NTE.

The EVSE board I used is a non GFCI board since I had a mishap with the original and Chris sent me this this to get me up and running.

When I get the proper board i will either use a light pipe or remote the LED to the front panel. I really want to see the status LED.

I see Chris is working on a new power supply board with stuck relay contact testing. With the relay I used I doubt that sticking is a problem.

you got that right!!..If your contactors ever weld or short ..you are going to take out Disneyland!,All those disappointed kids...all you fault ha ha..Ive got two esve going...one for the aircraft hanger 6 mi north of me and of course my garage.I ended up running a 10 guage from the house 200 amp main bus to the garage...I talked the gardeners into doing the actual crawl space run the 120 ft to the garage...I donot like spiders!Than a 30 amp sub panel w breaker powers up the evse...k

Since Disneyland is two miles away from me that would be some short!

I am lucky since my breaker panel is on the other side of the covering drywall.

Here is an EVSE from MNL member thinwing. He built his own DIY using board files from the Open EVSE site. He is also building a second unit with an Open EVSE board.

lincomatic recently posted a blog about his Open EVSE...
http://blog.lincomatic.com/?p=464

j1772.jpg

j1772lcd.jpg

I like lincomatics version the best!!Get the code!!I see adafruit has a new product out...a two line lcd display on its own backpack with three actve backlites....red,green and blue....know what I am thinking?kpc

chris1howell said:
Yes, I know what you are thinking... I ordered that board last week, should be here today... :D

mine came in yesterday, have to get out the soldering iron now, forgot it was a kit.

Back