Filing 2012 Federal Taxes - Form 8936

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ksnogas2112 said:
I efiled this morning, typoed an ssn so it was rejected. Fixed and it was accepted. We'll see how it all shakes out.
Oh, Tom, were you trying to give your refund to someone else's SSN? :lol:

I finally efiled my Federal return March 10th. It's been accepted; supposed to receive it 21 days from 3/10.; we shall see.

eclecticflower said:
ksnogas2112 said:
I efiled this morning, typoed an ssn so it was rejected. Fixed and it was accepted. We'll see how it all shakes out.
Oh, Tom, were you trying to give your refund to someone else's SSN? :lol:

I finally efiled my Federal return March 10th. It's been accepted; supposed to receive it 21 days from 3/10.; we shall see.

Pulled my son's ssn off his W-2. They entered it wrong for his pay at summer camp this year. So I need to figure out what we need to do to fix that so his $17 of social security get deposited in his correct account.

newownermnl
Computerizer said:
My refund has been approved as is on its way, according to the IRS. It took a couple weeks, but I never heard anything from them about having questions or anything.
Good to hear, let's hope that was the end of it. Was any supporting documentation needed for the EV tax credit? Given what transpired last year, one cannot be careful enough.

surfingslovak said:
Was any supporting documentation needed for the EV tax credit? Given what transpired last year, one cannot be careful enough.

I did not include any supporting documentation with the return, just the 8936 and the EVSE one themselves. I have printed copies of things though (my sales contract and the IRS page stating the LEAF rebate) in case I get audited, filed away with a printed copy of my return and everything else that goes with it.

garsh said:
This year I discovered that anybody can efile for free.
I tried that two years ago and gave up in disgust. Not only is their Java implementation of the forms kludgy, but when I got to the end they insisted that I manually type in all fields from all 1099 forms we got. Since we had five of those, with some very long names, addresses, and account numbers, I threw up my arms, typed in the basic data on the fillable PDF forms I downloaded from the IRS, printed, attached the 1099s, and mailed it in. If they allowed me to turn in a scanned PDF of the forms I'd be willing to try it again.

Ray

planet4ever said:
garsh said:
This year I discovered that anybody can efile for free.
I tried that two years ago and gave up in disgust. Not only is their Java implementation of the forms kludgy, but when I got to the end they insisted that I manually type in all fields from all 1099 forms we got. Since we had five of those, with some very long names, addresses, and account numbers, I threw up my arms, typed in the basic data on the fillable PDF forms I downloaded from the IRS, printed, attached the 1099s, and mailed it in. If they allowed me to turn in a scanned PDF of the forms I'd be willing to try it again.
This is the first year I heard about it. I had to type in my W-2, but they only required typing in a 1099 if it included a non-$0 federal withholding, which usually doesn't happen. Perhaps they tweaked it this year?

The forms implementation wasn't too bad. The tab ordering (hitting TAB to go to the next field) was wonky on some of them, but that was pretty minor. The main problem I had was that once you submit it, they delete your login! So be sure to print out everything before you hit submit.

garsh said:
This is the first year I heard about it. I had to type in my W-2, but they only required typing in a 1099 if it included a non-$0 federal withholding, which usually doesn't happen. Perhaps they tweaked it this year?
Well, OK, I'll have to admit our situation may be unusual. We are both retired, and virtually all of our income, apart from SS, comes from IRAs and pensions. Those five 1099-Rs include the only income tax payments we make during the year.

Ray

Got it! I'm doing the Tax Refund dance! :p
It's only been 12 days since e-filing and my Federal refund was deposited into my checking account this morning.
Now that's how I like to start the weekend! :D

Todays question: What will you do with your refund?

A.) Apply it to your car loan (not saving any interest there)
B.) Apply it to your home loan (saves interest/reduces 2013 tax return's interest deduction)
C.) Pay off your credit card(s)
D.) Buy accessories for your LEAF ...OR...
D.) Spend it wildly, like there's no tomorrow! :lol:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger...and paying down the house loan. I'm so looking forward to being done with that in 2 years (freedom!).

eclecticflower said:
Todays question: What will you do with your refund?

I put $8,000 down on the car knowing that I would be getting the $7,500 credit. I'd taken that $8,000 out of savings, so I put that much of my refund back into savings, and the rest I'm investing.

Computerizer said:
I put $8,000 down on the car knowing that I would be getting the $7,500 credit. I'd taken that $8,000 out of savings, so I put that much of my refund back into savings, and the rest I'm investing.
I had only enough tax liability to get back $5,675. :|

I had pulled $2,000 from savings to add to the $4,500 received for my previous vehicle and put $6500 down on the LEAF. Replenishing my savings account isn't the best use of the money, since it's only earning 0.75% APY (pathetic). My mortgage interest rate is 4.625%, but I've reduced my 15 year term down to 3 remaining years by doubling the payment each month & designating the extra amount toward the principal (no, at this point, refinancing that "big" rate wouldn't benefit me, I've checked...it would lock me into the higher payment for 3 years and only save me $700).

I have no credit card debt to speak of (pay it off each month, avoiding interest). :D

So, for me, the best use of the money is to pay down the mortgage (how incredibly sensible :roll: ), but it would be much more fun to buy LEAF accessories (cargo organizer, Tony's climate control fix, window tint) or celebrate with fellow KC LEAFers (party time)! Hmmm...maybe all of the above? :) :lol:

Now that the 2012 tax season has settled down, I started looking at 2013. The 8936 is not out yet so I went back to the 2012 version. I was shocked to see that there is a per car limit of $2,500 (Part III, line 17). This was not the case in 2011 and before. I can only imagine that the Feds finally got around to publishing 2012 very late in the game and added a game changer.

Did anyone manage to get the oft quoted $7,500 credit in 2012?

Ooops (and thank God), my tax accountant read over the form a bit too quickly. The Leaf is, of course, a 4 wheel vehicle. The third (last) line of Line 15 (Part III of 8936) states that purchasers of 4 wheeled vehicles
are to skip lines 16 and 17 (avoiding the $2,500 maximum).

Yes, but you have to have that much tax liability to get that refund amount. The one way you can get the full amount is by leasing, where the $7,500 is pulled off the price up front. If you buy instead of lease, you're eligible for the credit on your next tax return (thus far). I bought and (since I don't make enough money and have enough tax liability); my refund was considerably less @ $5675.

Back