Finally got the go ahead...keep me out of trouble!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

Leaf pals:

I am now officially in the market for a Leaf SV with QC here in Sonoma County. When I pick up the car I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes. So, I assume I have to make sure they set up the car with CarWings. Also, do I need to become a Blink and Chargepoint member ASAP? What other things should I make sure of?

The biggest thing is what is your daily commute like? How many miles and how much highway vs. city? Will you be able to charge at your destination(s)?

cwerdna said:
The biggest thing is what is your daily commute like? How many miles and how much highway vs. city? Will you be able to charge at your destination(s)?

Oh, none of that will be a problem. This car is just for fun. My wife is making me keep my Honda too!

I don't drive more than 20 miles a day. A big day is 35. I will have plenty of range. I live about 60 miles from San Francisco, and imagine I will take the car there for fun sometimes. Plenty of L2 chargers there. No, I suspect I am one of the guys who can get away with the trickle charger alone, but I just ordered the Aeronvironment EVSE for my house. I have a good spot for that. The electrician has already scoped it out, and it will be an easy install in my garage with the dedicated 40 amp line.

The climate control and navigation system were both non-intuitive to me. Spend some time getting familiar with them. The user guides are actually pretty good.

Yes, get the Blink, ChargePoint, and AeroVironment RFID cards. Never know when you might find them handy and it is much easier than calling to get a charging station turned on.

ebill3 said:
Yes, get the Blink, ChargePoint, and AeroVironment RFID cards. Never know when you might find them handy and it is much easier than calling to get a charging station turned on.

Do I arrange that through the dealership, or do I just go online and do it now before getting the car?

dndrich said:
Do I arrange that through the dealership, or do I just go online and do it now before getting the car?

You will have to get them online but you want to do it as soon as possible since it takes a while to arrive. You can get the chargepoint card free if you don't want to hold a balance on the card from here: http://www.chargepoint.com/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you would only be allowed to use free chargepoint stations).

Sign up for blinks plus since it provides the best discount ($1/hr) and they waive the annual fee for 2013. I would switch plans after that unless they extend the promo.

I don't think you will get an aerovironment rfid yet since they are not in CA....(i tried and got denied :( )

I would make sure you check everything on the car for any issues....I had a paint blemish on the hood and a rear bumper bracket missing. I lost trust in the new assembly plant.

vsiev said:
dndrich said:

You will have to get them online but you want to do it as soon as possible since it takes a while to arrive. You can get the chargepoint card free if you don't want to hold a balance on the card from here: http://www.chargepoint.com/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you would only be allowed to use free chargepoint stations).

Sign up for blinks plus since it provides the best discount ($1/hr) and they waive the annual fee for 2013. I would switch plans after that unless they extend the promo.

I don't think you will get an aerovironment rfid yet since they are not in CA....(i tried and got denied :( )

I would make sure you check everything on the car for any issues....I had a paint blemish on the hood and a rear bumper bracket missing. I lost trust in the new assembly plant.

OK, all good advice. I am so unlikely to need charging away from home right now, but I will get on it anyway.

Congratulations! In 9 months I have only used public charging on 2 occasions. It was certainly nice to have the plugshare app and the ChargePoint app already on my cell as well as a ChargePoint card loaded with $25 in the glove compartment. One charging was free and one cost $2.00. Both times I could probably have made it home, but the peace of mind was well worth the stop.

Back