First EV Electric bill mi/kWh $/mi numbers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How far was your drive home from the dealership and what was the state of charge when you picked it up and got home? This could lower your figures somewhat.

As of last night, my CarWings was showing:

Distance Traveled 497.2
Average Energy Economy 5.1 miles/kWh
Electricity Consumption 97.8 kWh

However, my TOU meter (EVSE only) was reading 205 kWh consumed (all LADWP base rate - so the Low Season rate of 12.7 cents/kWh minus the 2.5 cent discount for a net of 10.2 cents/kWh). Doing the math yields $20.91 for 497.2 miles = 4.2 cents/mile. Not great, not terrible.

HFTobeason said:
As of last night, my CarWings was showing:

Distance Traveled 497.2
Average Energy Economy 5.1 miles/kWh
Electricity Consumption 97.8 kWh

However, my TOU meter (EVSE only) was reading 205 kWh consumed (all LADWP base rate - so the Low Season rate of 12.7 cents/kWh minus the 2.5 cent discount). Doing the math yields $20.91 for 497.2 miles = .042 cents/mile. Not great, not terrible.

u getting about same as me. check my sig. i am getting 3.18 MPK

my rates are lower so averaging about 10.2 Cents /KWH so my current cost is 3.21 cents per mile

The plot becomes more viscous...

Turns out the odometer in my Leaf is reporting 637 miles driven. 12 of those were prior to my receiving the car. And I charged about 40% once out in Irwindale. So, roughly, lets say I have about 600 miles on the car for which my home EVSE is responsible. That adjusts my calculations somewhat: 200kWh, 600 miles, approx 3.5 cents/mi. Better.

Of course, this does not explain the mileage discrepancy.

HFTobeason said:
Of course, this does not explain the mileage discrepancy.

If you ever fail to click "OK" when the car boots up, that drive won't show up in Carwings. Further, several folks, me included, have experienced short periods of carwings inoperability at the server end - those days don't show up. You might be able to spot the missing data if you look at the day by day mileage totals and trip counts in carwings and compare to your recollection or typical daily pattern.

We never fail (as far as I can tell) to hit "OK". However, right now, CarWings is about 4 days behind in tracking our mileage. Maybe 50-60 miles. That does get closer to matching the odometer...

ever do a refresh from the website? that seems to make numbers more accurate, but still not consistently so. at times i will be less than a day behind, other times, 2 days behind.

i have actually had it accurate in the afternoon up to my morning drive

Got my first bill from GWP. They installed a meter just for the car and it says I used: (it has 2 entries for the month for some reason)

399 kWh / 55 billing days
3807 kWh or 3.81 kWh / 55 billing days

So that's an average of 76.472727272727273 kWh per day. That doesn't make much sense. Or does it? That doesn't make sense to me as I only drive 30 miles a day and never charge it from empty and usually charge it to 80%. I'm confused.

Either way... my bill went up about 70 bucks or 35$ a month which is much less than driving my Focus.

Carwings is saying I used 197 kWh in June. Maybe that # is for my whole house? But the meter # matches the smart meter attached to my charger. I'm confused... but the bill didn't go up by that much.

ya 197 is about right. i use more than that. figure 3-3.5 miles per KWH makes about 700 miles. i think i used around 250 kwh last month. cost me about 10.2 cents per kwh so about $26. that is less than a single fillup ($38.00 last week for 536 miles) on my 50+ mpg Prius. so ya, that is about right and trust me, there is no gas car in the world that can touch that transportation cost

cdub said:
3807 kWh or 3.81 kWh / 55 billing days
What does that even mean ? Did you mean to say 3807 wh or 3.81 kwh ?

If you drive 30 miles a day (or 1,000 miles a month) I expect you to be spending about 300 kwh per month.

Ok called GWP and got it explained.

The 399 kWh is what the car is using and that's what I'm being billed which is more in line which what I was expecting. (7.254545454545455 kWh/day)

The 3.81 kW is the demand since this meter is a demand meter. It is non-billable and it's just so they can track how much pull my EV is taking from the system.

That makes more sense. The first # is the one I need to keep track of.

We got a second meter installed in April. Haven't seen a bill since. I think we're on a special program where we don't pay for electricity anymore :lol:

Back