First EV Electric bill mi/kWh $/mi numbers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gbarry42 said:
We got a second meter installed in April. Haven't seen a bill since. I think we're on a special program where we don't pay for electricity anymore :lol:
I had the same thing. It took SDG&E over two months to start sending me bills again after my second meter went in.

gbarry42 said:
We got a second meter installed in April. Haven't seen a bill since. I think we're on a special program where we don't pay for electricity anymore :lol:
Still waiting here, too. My 2nd meter went was installed in June.

mogur said:
An interesting article on the dollar cost and carbon cost of driving for an EV, Hybrid, and conventional ICE car.

http://homepower.com/article/?file=HP141_pg16_OnTheRoad
Why is it that so many "authors", writing about "differences" between EV and hydrocarbon vehicles focus on CO2? Why not list the carcinogins benzine, nitric oxides, sulfur compounds, nitric oxides etc, much less the general breathing difficulties, like asthma, and or the loss of quality of life? It's as though CO2 gets focused on because it's the most benign component of the "down side" ... and "god forbid" ... hydrocarbons COST more
(shaking head)
Seldom do authors run up the flag, the BIG issues:
national security
peak oil
national debt
giant military budget
Ratio of EV'rs using solar, versus the average electricity consumer that are stuck using 50% coal.

"Argonne National Laboratory’s well to- wheels factor of 23.7 pounds of CO2 for each gallon burned" is even skewed CO2 wise, because it doesn't count many of the colateral CO2 sources ... like running a percentage of the military, to set up/support/sponsor (what ever you call it) dictators in countries (or, some call it "protecting freedom") where we get hydrocarbon fuels. Bahhh . . . I'll quit before I get my shorts bunched up even farther.
:D

Hmmm… we just got our first "real" SDGE bill with the TOU and a second meter. According to Carwings from June 2- July 4 (the bill dates) we drove 1072 miles. Carwings also shows 183.4 kWh for the same time period. The SDGE bill for the second (Leaf) meter shows 298 kWh.

Is Carwings just useless when it comes to measuring the kWh? I still don't get how those two numbers can be so dramatically different. Could the Blink be such a GIANT vampire?? :eek: Even if you subtract the regen and add the accessories, those numbers seem crazy.

I guess the good news is even using the 298kWh number from SDGE, we had 10kWh on-peak; 26 off-peak and 262 super off-peak, for a total cost including all fees and taxes of $29.49. That's 2.8 cents per mile - we're still :p

JCBNJB said:
According to Carwings from June 2- July 4 (the bill dates) we drove 1072 miles. Carwings also shows 183.4 kWh for the same time period. The SDGE bill for the second (Leaf) meter shows 298 kWh.

Is Carwings just useless when it comes to measuring the kWh?
In a word, Yes. It may not even be accurate in measuring the miles! But on the kWh, it is generally believed that Carwings in effect subtracts the regen twice. Depending on how you drive, you probably produce a lot af regen. The other factor you seem to have overlooked is the charger in the car. When you include the cooling system used for it, the total charging efficiency is probably not above 85%, meaning no more than 250 kWh ever even got to the battery.

Now think about the fact that regen can pump up to 30 kW into the battery. If we were to guess 15 kW as an average, four hours of regen could produce 60 kWh. For 1072 miles that would be an average of one minute slowing down for every 5 miles driven. Depending, again, on how and where you drive that may be a bit high, but it doesn't seem out of the question. And of course 250 kWh to the battery minus a 60 kWh double-counting error would take you down very close to what Carwings is reporting.

Note also that I said "probably not above 85%". A number of people on this board believe the efficiency is closer to 82% or 83%. If you regularly charge to 100%, your cooling cost is going to go up, since filling that last 20% of the battery goes more slowly. And that means your efficiency will go down.

Ray

Got my first full SDGE EV bill, too. Bill read 257 kWh - 253 kWh Super-Off-Peak, 1 kWh Off-Peak, 3 kWh On-Peak for a total of $36.13 for an average cost of $0.1406 / kWh. I'm on the low-ratio EV TOU rate. I drove about 980* miles for a wall to wheels of 3.8 mi / kWh and 3.7 c / mi.

* I haven't been recording odometer readings and Carwings appears to only get about 90% of my miles so I took the Carwings odometer reading and adjusted the value to match overall error. Spot checking numbers from Blink and Carwings where they appear to be accurate seems to confirm the wall to wheels of 3.75-3.80 mi / kWh. Typical driving gets me around 4.3 mi / kWh on the dash. Charging to 80% nearly all the time.

i also installed a 2nd meter.
2011-07-28_06-38-53_644.jpg

as you can see, i have 160 KWH used so far. nothing but the Car can be plugged in. installed July 8th so on pace to use about 240 KWH for a month. that should get me around 1100 miles or so

cdub said:
Got my first bill from GWP. They installed a meter just for the car and it says I used: (it has 2 entries for the month for some reason). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snip . . .
"They" ??
Who are 'they'. Did, 'they' do a free 2nd meter (socket) install? If yes, what was their motive for being so generous? We got quotes from 3 contractors, and average cost to install a 2nd meter socket (for tou EV) was $1,300. So when SCE asked why we didn't want to "save money" by installing a 2nd meter ... we politely told them we had 1,300 reasons. I helped them understand, that my unborn grandkids will be out of college by the time a 2nd meter (socket install cost) would pay off. Why do they ask such questions ... do utility companies think we don't own calculators?

DaveinOlyWA said:
i also installed a 2nd meter. as you can see, i have 160 KWH used so far. nothing but the Car can be plugged in. installed July 8th so on pace to use about 240 KWH for a month. that should get me around 1100 miles or so
Dave, since this is a mechanical meter, how does your utility assure you charge off peak? Does the meter only activate 'after-hours'?

hill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i also installed a 2nd meter. as you can see, i have 160 KWH used so far. nothing but the Car can be plugged in. installed July 8th so on pace to use about 240 KWH for a month. that should get me around 1100 miles or so
Dave, since this is a mechanical meter, how does your utility assure you charge off peak? Does the meter only activate 'after-hours'?

i in WA. we have hydro, more than we know what to do with. that is why WA is so EV friendly. we need to increase our night time base load and a million EVs should be a great start towards that end.

we dont have TOU here. i plug in whenever i want and the 2nd meter is simply because I want to know how much its costing me to charge my Leaf and i could not do that on 240. so i installed the meter to keep track. i did it because it was about $1250 less than your meter option

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/blog.php?u=291&b=92

Back