First Roadtrip... 112 Miles each way was a success!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipscoggins

Went to visit my dad for Christmas this weekend and gave my LEAF it's first real road test.

It's 112 miles from Tullahoma, TN to Cleveland, TN. Trip includes going over Monteagle mountain, which was my only real worry.
I will have to brag that as far as charging goes, I'm pretty much covered with DC quick chargers. If you count on ramp at start of trip and off ramp at destination, there are 5 :D

I started out conservatively and took the HWY instead of the interstate, but at the top of the mountain I transferred to the interstate to make use of regenerative braking (it was cool to watch the miles shoot up on the GOM). I quick charged from 4 bars to 10 bars at Cracker Barrel (57 miles into trip), decided to try the interstate to Chattanooga, since it was only 37 miles, made it with 4 bars left. Quick charged to 8 bars and drove 24 miles to my destination with 4 bars left. Didn't use heater, 40 deg whole trip, over half at night. On HWY I drove speed limit of 45 & 55 and on interstate I cruised at 60mph. I averaged 3.9m/kw on interstate & seemed to get about 6 miles/bar. Trickle charged overnight to 100% before heading home.

On the drive home today (about 50deg and sunny for whole trip) I took the interstate the whole way and other than losing 3 bars going up the mountain (in 6 miles) I averaged a little better than 6m/kw. I also skipped the Chattanooga quick charging station and arrived at my Cracker Barrel quick charger (halfway point) with 2 bars remaining. So I would estimate close to 75 miles on a full charge at 60mpg on the interstate, that's better than I expected in the Tennessee hills (not counting the mountain, it peaks at around 1900ft, don't laugh all you people with "real" mountains). I had to do some running around after getting back to town, so I QC's to 60% at my exit in about 10 minutes and went on with my regular day.

The battery started at 5 bars, rose to 6 at first quick charge and never moved from there.

Only problem was being iced on my way home at the Cracker Barrel. Manager was very helpful, but they had no way to page in the dining room. He check with employees & one girl came out to move her car, but it was at the level 2 charger :( While I was trying to see if the Blink DC would reach to the space beside it (it wouldn't) the owners of one of the icer cars came out and left. I was polite as I explained how he was blocking the only EV charging station for 40 miles. He apologized and said he didn't even notice it and was sorry. The big screen was dead, so maybe he was being honest. There were plenty of open spaces. While standing around speaking with the manager, he started asking about cost of car & fueling, he spends $600/month commuting 50 miles each way to work. I pointed out that he could charge to 80% at home and QC (for free currently) in the afternoon before going home and save at least $500/month. Think he might go for it :cool:

I'm friends with a TN state rep, I'll start working on a $50 fine for blocking charging stations. After all we've got LEAF being made in TN, seems like they might want to appear to care....

All in all, the LEAF passed with flying colors. I was content to take highways and cruise beside the interstate, but with abundant QC stations and 6 miles/bar I made it just fine. I did make the kids wear warm clothes, but 4 warm bodies in a car does wonders for bringing up the temp. I did kick the heater on while charging to help take the edge off, but made it fine without it while cruising.

Total trip, about 225 miles, total cost approx $1.90, if you count electricity at my dad's it would go up to about $3.80 and all the quick chargers were free :D

Philip

No problems. At the half way point (first QC) I told the Blink to take me to 100%, but that gets it to between 85 & 90% (10 bars) my later QC only went to 8 & 6 bars, which didn't have any effect on battery temp.

This was a test for taking my LEAF to the vacationing mountains in TN (Gatlinburg) which is about 240 miles. Definitely have to take it easy on the level of the QC for that trip, but found the LEAF to do it with no anxiety. :)

Philip

Nice !

tullahomatntoclevelandt.jpg

( Created at http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/profile_input" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with the LINK from Google Maps )

Great Post!! and just a hint at what is possible when the proper support is available. quick charging, parking regulations, etc. it all helps.

I long for the day when there are so many EVs on the road that quick charging will be by appointment ONLY!!

I see you found the value of short charging sessions. It does not take long to realize you gain more range in the first 12 minutes of charging than the next 30 minutes combined. with the next station being 20-30 miles down the road, you will have enough to get to the next station. eliminate the ICE'ing and you have it made!

Ditto on Daves comment! I think I will link to this post and send it to my local EV infrastructure team here in KC. Thanks!

mhigley said:
Ditto on Daves comment! I think I will link to this post and send it to my local EV infrastructure team here in KC. Thanks!

while you are at it, starting lobbying for higher taxes!!

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/12/government-assistance-it-aint-always.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just a bit of trivia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monteagle_Mountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monteagle Mountain is the local name given to a stretch of Interstate 24 near Monteagle, Tennessee that passes over the Cumberland Plateau. Being part of the plateau, it is not technically a mountain, but appears that way to motorists crossing over it. It is frequently referenced as one of the most treacherous stretches of interstate in the United States, especially in inclement weather.

I don't have QC on my leaf, but even if I did I think 112 miles one direction would be about the most I'd ever want to do.

As it is with mine, I could easily see making 50 mile trips (100 miles round-trip) if there was always a reliable L2 at the destination. But as there is not, I keep my trips to destinations no more than 30 miles away.

dhanson865 said:
It is frequently referenced as one of the most treacherous stretches of interstate in the United States, especially in inclement weather.

Having grown up in REAL inclement weather in the state of Montana (and with real mountains), I've got to imagine that this is a bit of poetic license.

I'll bet it's "really bad" for Tennessee, but not the whole USA.

TonyWilliams said:
dhanson865 said:
It is frequently referenced as one of the most treacherous stretches of interstate in the United States, especially in inclement weather.

Having grown up in REAL inclement weather in the state of Montana (and with real mountains), I've got to imagine that this is a bit of poetic license.

I'll bet it's "really bad" for Tennessee, but not the whole USA.

About 15 years ago they reworked the interstate over Monteagle (took a couple of years) but as a kid we would travel it about 6 times a year and at least one of those times there would be a crew cleaning up where a semi went off the end of the run-away truck ramp. It was very dangerous. Part of the fixing of the road was to go from 2 lanes to 3 and move the run-away truck ramps to the inside instead of just launching the trucks off the side. It wasn't the height, but the extended downgrade and bad truck ramp design. MANY truck drivers died on that mountain.

And I know, I've been to Colorado and played in the snow in July. It's not the same, but it's a nice place :)

Since I took my roadtrip, it's been rainy, windy & cold here. I've been amazed at the range reduction running defog in the rain at night! I'll definitely plan my long trips to go along with the weather.

@ LEARer, Very cool gpsvisualizer, I'd never seen that before. I tried to use the carwings trip planner site for it's data, but it had no info. I'll help that over the next few years.

Philip

philipscoggins said:
@ LEARer, Very cool gpsvisualizer, I'd never seen that before. I tried to use the carwings trip planner site for it's data, but it had no info. I'll help that over the next few years.

Have you tried the "LEAF Energy" app for iPhone/iPad? It uses Google maps with elevation and temperature to calculate range. Based on my range chart.

philipscoggins said:
About 15 years ago they reworked the interstate over Monteagle (took a couple of years) but as a kid we would travel it about 6 times a year and at least one of those times there would be a crew cleaning up where a semi went off the end of the run-away truck ramp. It was very dangerous. Part of the fixing of the road was to go from 2 lanes to 3 and move the run-away truck ramps to the inside instead of just launching the trucks off the side. It wasn't the height, but the extended downgrade and bad truck ramp design. MANY truck drivers died on that mountain.

"The one on I-24 in Tennessee use to be a 9% years ago, but due to some many accidents, they rearranged the highway around Monteagle in order to bring it down to a 6%. Going up is about three miles, and coming down is four. They added an extra mile coming down so that they could cut into the deadly grade."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/travel/923577-what-us-interstate-highway-has-steepest.html#ixzz2G27St4gM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in California, we have higher and longer grades on the various freeways, and yes, many of these have truck "run away" exits. Even in San Diego, which most easterners wouldn't think of as "mountainous", the grade from the east starts below sea level and rises to over 4000 feet (the highest peak in the county is 6500 ft):

Interstate8profile_zps1e059230.jpg

Here's your not very high, but VERY steep hill !!!!

Interstate24profile_zpsf6fcd33e.jpg

I really like the GPS Visualizer, didn't know that existed.

The Y-axis on Tony's maps are not the same scale, so it makes the Tennessee route look much steeper than the grade from Imperial Valley towards San Diego. I've tried correcting for that below to see the difference and thought I would post it.

Tennessee
TN.png

IV to SD

CA.png

Tennessee route is still a steeper, particularly around the 23 mile mark.

No offence Phillip, you do have a few miles of very steep grade there, but that's not a hill...

="philip"I really like the GPS Visualizer, didn't know that existed.

Tennessee
TN.png

This is a hill...

1357252213-20508_zps484af40a.png

This round trip from my home to the Lassen Peak trailhead, totalling over 10k feet (including a few off-profile side trips for some L2) is the most ascent and descent I've done in one day.

TonyWilliams said:
philipscoggins said:

"The one on I-24 in Tennessee use to be a 9% years ago, but due to some many accidents, they rearranged the highway around Monteagle in order to bring it down to a 6%. Going up is about three miles, and coming down is four. They added an extra mile coming down so that they could cut into the deadly grade."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/travel/923577-what-us-interstate-highway-has-steepest.html#ixzz2G27St4gM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in California, we have higher and longer grades on the various freeways, and yes, many of these have truck "run away" exits. Even in San Diego, which most easterners wouldn't think of as "mountainous", the grade from the east starts below sea level and rises to over 4000 feet (the highest peak in the county is 6500 ft):

Interstate8profile_zps1e059230.jpg

Here's your not very high, but VERY steep hill !!!!

Interstate24profile_zpsf6fcd33e.jpg

Yep, it has to be at least 2000ft. above sea level to be a mountain.

Back