Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weatherman said:
Overall, a pretty good deal. If you can get your dealer to itemize the tag/title/registration fees for you to see if it really comes out to $460, you should be in good shape.
Weatherman, thanks again for the detailed analysis. A lot of us here are new to leasing and it helps to have a voice of reason that understands what all these figures mean. It's very easy to get confused and for the dealer to take full advantage.

I looked at the spreadsheet you sent me and I see how the numbers line up; nice job! There is a problem with a circular reference involving cell E28. Because of it, modifying the down payment does not have an effect. I would like to try different permutations of the down payment since I have a quote from the dealer for $2,500 and $3,500 down payment options. In any case, I'll try to fix the circular reference and see if I can make it work.

BrainDonor said:
I looked at the spreadsheet you sent me and I see how the numbers line up; nice job! There is a problem with a circular reference involving cell E28.

On MS Office 2003 to enable iterative calculations (which prevents the circular references) you need to do "Tools"->"Options", then on the "Calculation" tab enable the checkbox in the middle called "Iteration".

The same appreciation here Weatherman :)

It is a huge deal having someone that can put the numbers that the dealer throws at us into terms that the less gifted can understand.
It may not help us get a better deal but at least we know how we are getting shafted

Look forward to meeting you in person at our first meet up

Weatherman said:
BrainDonor said:
I looked at the spreadsheet you sent me and I see how the numbers line up; nice job! There is a problem with a circular reference involving cell E28.

On MS Office 2003 to enable iterative calculations (which prevents the circular references) you need to do "Tools"->"Options", then on the "Calculation" tab enable the checkbox in the middle called "Iteration".
Thanks, that worked. I was able to plug in different down payments and came within a dollar of the dealer's lease numbers!

BTW, in Excel 2007 the iterative calculation function is trickier to find. It is under Office Button (top left) -> Excel Options -> Formulas -> Enable iterative calculation.

Looking forward to meeting you as well...

BrainDonor said:
Thanks, that worked. I was able to plug in different down payments and came within a dollar of the dealer's lease numbers!

Yeah, I'm not sure what’s going on there. There's nothing in the equations that would allow the monthly payment to be exact when you put $1,500 down, but be $1.11-$1.12 off when you put $2,500 and $3,500 down. It's like they are charging you an extra $34.50 if you dare to put more than $1,500 down.

But, in any case, the numbers are close enough that if they dare to fiddle around with things before you finally sign, you can plug in the new numbers to see what you're getting yourself into. I plan to bring my laptop computer with me on delivery day, so I can perform that final check.

I've decided that I'm tired of waiting around for another week... or two... or three... or four to finalize the deal on my LEAF, so I'm going to meet with Larry Hering on Sunday.

If we can't hammer out a deal, in writing, tomorrow, I'm going to cancel my order and either wait until later next year for a better deal on a 2012, or see if the 2013s have some more useful features (like a 6 kW charger), and drop the useless ones (like the cold weather package).

Based on the history of my dealings with Weston Nissan, I'd say there’s a 50-50 chance there will be an orphaned Glacier Perl SV as of tomorrow afternoon.

Weatherman said:
I've decided that I'm tired of waiting around for another week... or two... or three... or four to finalize the deal on my LEAF, so I'm going to meet with Larry Hering on Sunday.

If we can't hammer out a deal, in writing, tomorrow, I'm going to cancel my order and either wait until later next year for a better deal on a 2012, or see if the 2013s have some more useful features (like a 6 kW charger), and drop the useless ones (like the cold weather package).

Based on the history of my dealings with Weston Nissan, I'd say there’s a 50-50 chance there will be an orphaned Glacier Perl SV as of tomorrow afternoon.
Good luck tomorrow. What are you looking for, MSRP but no dealer service fee?

Two things, actually.

A price match with CarMax on my trade-in. I'd like to get the sales tax benefit of having one transaction, since I've decided to pay cash rather than go with the lease. Even if they come within 3%, that will be enough to take care of the "convenience" factor. If they aren't even willing to come within 3%, however, it won't be a deal killer.

What will be a deal killer is them insisting on keeping any part of the nearly $700 dealer service fee. There are about ten Nissan dealers within 40 miles of where I live. It isn't like they are the only game in town. That means there's no reason why I should pay a premium to Weston Nissan, especially given the poor service they've provided.

Weatherman
Is your car at the dealership?
I tried to get a contract signed on Friday to get the free ipad and was told by Larry that they cannot sign a lease unless they have the car.

He did mention that Eddie Sosa is the one who has the authority to negotiate the dealer fee.

I don't know where the car is. It might still be stuck up in Jacksonville.

In any case, I'm not going to do anything more than what I should have done three months ago; try to get a commitment, in writing, that they will match the Carmax appraisal for my trade in, and only charge me MSRP + Destination for the LEAF.

If Larry insists on not making any commitment until the car is sitting on their lot, then we're done. It’s not like the dealership is closed today, and they can't sell any cars unless Eddie Sosa is around.

I'm tired of excuses. That's all I've been given for the past three months.

Listen mate we are all frustrated at this whole Leaf experience, I think about the car and my excitement is off the scale then I think about the grief of getting the car with the delays and the dealing with the dealership that excitement is wiped out.

This is where we as a community need to help each other in posting what we can get in the way of concessions from the dealerships here in Florida, so we can move past the crap part of the Leaf experience and get to actually drive our cars.

And... I'm out.

The meeting lasted about five minutes and Larry refused to compromise, at all, on either their quote for my trade-in or the dealer service fee. It was as if he just didn't care, and was happy to see me go.

So much for that.

Well, it, certainly, has been an interesting and very educational experience. But, armed with all the knowledge I've gained over the past few months, I can wait until a better deal comes along.

Weatherman said:
Well, it, certainly, has been an interesting and very educational experience. But, armed with all the knowledge I've gained over the past few months, I can wait until a better deal comes along.

Sorry to hear that! How about the fontana deal for $2000 less than msrp? I just sent a car to Gainesville FL to my mum for $650.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've sent a note off to Danny asking for more information about what's involved for a Florida resident to purchase a car in California (things like sales tax, shipping costs, etc.).

There are closer options I am assuming that maybe Florida dealers may have a couple of extra cars so call the others. I know it is a sour taste but to come this far and give in is not your best move
You always have options there are a multitude of Nissan dealerships it just takes a bit of an effort to get this sorted, I sincerely hope you do not walk away from the Leaf

Fontana Nissan has $2k of MSRP even with the shipping you can save $3k over the 2012

Brightonuk said:
Fontana Nissan has $2k of MSRP even with the shipping you can save $3k over the 2012

No, I'm not walking away from buying a LEAF.

I've already been in contact with Danny at Fontana Nissan. If shipping the car from California to South Florida ends up costing less than any of the discounts they provide, it will be a good deal. I'll pay Florida sales tax on the purchase (6% is better than 9.25%), and the only minor extra expense I wouldn't deal with on a Florida purchase is transferring the title from California to Florida.

I, really, should have done this a long time ago.

By the way... for anyone considering trying this. It's a cash deal. No leases.

Weatherman said:
Brightonuk said:

No, I'm not walking away from buying a LEAF.

I've already been in contact with Danny at Fontana Nissan. If shipping the car from California to South Florida ends up costing less than any of the discounts they provide, it will be a good deal. I'll pay Florida sales tax on the purchase (6% is better than 9.25%), and the only minor extra expense I wouldn't deal with on a Florida purchase is transferring the title from California to Florida.

I, really, should have done this a long time ago.

By the way... for anyone considering trying this. It's a cash deal. No leases.

Carrage Nissan in Gainsville GA they did a quote at 1k under MSRP and 399 Dealer Charge Look in the Ga postings last set.
I got mine from Gwinett Place Nissian Duluth Ga at all MSRP for car and options, 850 delivery, 599 dealer, 13 title, 3 lemon law. Cash no trade in 41k drive out total including tax, tag and title as they say. ordered Aug 5, delivered 11/25

Leaftogo1 said:
Carrage Nissan in Gainsville GA they did a quote at 1k under MSRP and 399 Dealer Charge Look in the Ga postings last set.

The main problem with trying to work with a Tier 2 state dealer is that I'll, probably, have to stand in line again.

There is no way I am going to do that.

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

The other possibility is to try to snag an orphan at a discount. Pretty unlikely, there. If anything, Tier 2 state dealers would hike their offering price for an orphan, because the local demand is still high and they are no longer constrained by the quote provided to the original person who ordered the car.

Bottom line is that if I act now, I really need to wrap up the purchase within the next month to quickly take full advantage of the $7,500 tax credit on my 2011 tax return. Since I'm not going to lease, if things slip into January, I might just as well wait until the end of 2012 to buy.

Searching the forum I found out that the average time from port to dealer is 4 weeks!

I also found out that the average "order date to delivery" wait is 180 days. So much for the 3 to 4 months we were told when we ordered. Only around 20% are that lucky.

spike09 said:
Searching the forum I found out that the average time from port to dealer is 4 weeks!

I also found out that the average "order date to delivery" wait is 180 days. So much for the 3 to 4 months we were told when we ordered. Only around 20% are that lucky.

My date hasn't move since the 4-day later change to 12/17. Since they keep pushing yours, I wonder when they are going to start pushing mine. I want the car TODAY just like everyone else does but with some holiday travel and looking at our tax credits from all the solar we put on our home this year....we are thinking January looks better after all.

BTW - just checked with Nissan CS. Here's what I found out...NOTHING. LOL

"Jessica: As of right now Eve, the only information that I was able to find is that your vehicle will be delivered the week of December the 17th."

Back