Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this doesn't sound like much to California ,but we have a second charge station within 12 miles of the House..For this area, its a big deal... They are clipper creek chargers located in a new garage in Sarasota .. The breakers are on ,but im not sure if they have power.. I don't see any pilot lights....

evseatparkinggaragesara.jpg

I'm scheduled for the event at Sawgrass Mills next Saturday. Can anyone who has been to one of these events comment about how early should I arrive before my time slot... do they have exhibits and cars you can sit in?

mikee322 said:
They are clipper creek chargers located in a new garage in Sarasota .. The breakers are on ,but im not sure if they have power.. I don't see any pilot lights....
The pilot light is inside, so you can't see if it's on or not without opening the cover (#4 Torx and a hidden latch on the bottom). Make sure to take the bubble wrap off the plug before using ;)

What, no one here went to the Leaf Drive Event? Though somemone besides me would and comment :D

Anyway it was fun. Although seeing a little fleet of Leafs that I can't take home with me was a little disheartening. All was as expected though and the car drove great. Got there early and there wasn't hardly anyone there so we got to drive the car more then once. But given that Nissan only delivered about a hundred Leafs so far seems like it's going to be a while till I take another ride. Oh well, give me a chance to see what else is coming out.

I was there - I posted my video in the video thread. I drove around 11:00, and there was a decent crowd, but still practically no waiting. Yeah, it was pretty cool; glad I finally had a chance to see and drive the car - though I would have bought one without that if they'd let us! :roll:

In fact, I asked the obligatory question about the ordering timeline change and got the expected answer ("they want to make sure the infrastructure is ready") which is not the whole story, but anyway I just said I'd appreciate if they could filter up to their management that people are not happy about the delay.

I noticed there were no pedestrian sounds and asked our "co-pilot" if they were turned off, but she said these were pre-production cars that didn't have the sounds implemented. Maybe that's common knowledge? I wasn't aware of that.

The drive was as expected; the only thing that stuck out for me was the touchiness of the brakes. Not sure if that's something to do with the regen or maybe my 11-year-old 4Runner has mushy brakes and I've just gotten used to that?

Nice, thanks for the video.

Yeah I asked the same question and got the same answer, to which I replied I already have the infrastructure I need in my garage. Anyway still not getting the car any time soon it seems given that they have only imported a little over a hundred and seem to be giving preference to rental companies in Japan.

You know I noticed the brakes were grabby to me to, although my wife had didn't. So it might be a driving style issue, especially given that any my wife seems to think of the break pedal as a binary device. Meaning it not used or is on all the way. :shock:

The Co-polites were fun. One told me she had a chance to use the emergency break when on guy driving the car decided that he wanted to see if the Leaf could reach it's top speed. Said it worked great.

Just got back from the "ride" in Orlando. Loved it!
I wanted to see the red... which I did BUTT it was foggy
and overcast so I never saw it shine. The weather broke
on my way back to the coast.

I knew that it was going to be quiet but the silence was
deafening.... what a quality ride. The coasting was what
I had expected and with eco on the regen did a great job.

All in all I will order one when we are allowed to unless we
lose the 7.5k fed credit.

5416076281_8ef93cd262.jpg

5416688172_93e0381435.jpg

5416076313_c6f37a6c0a.jpg

:mrgreen:

Anybody else going tomorrow morning? I'll be there with my silver leaf, so hopefully I can get a few side by sides with production vs preproduction.

Any news from the drive tour in Tampa?? My sister lives in Brandon and I tried to get her to go for a test drive this weekend. I searched Tampa newspapers and television news channels for stories about the drive tour, but found nothing. I'd like to send her some links to stories.

Wife and I went to the Tampa drive event on Saturday, we are on vacation in FL. Between 1pm and 2pm there was a steady flow of drivers, but no serious backup. Test Drive was very short (maybe 5 min), wife managed to get it up to 50mph for a few seconds, most of the driving was on the mall access roads.
The guy taking us through the displays and stationary part was upbeat and personable, but it was clearly a sales pitch. Glossed over any downsides (but what do you expect, he's getting paid by Nissan). Example - Said DC port was industry standard, I said not in USA, he said SAE approval was just a formality. He did joke about the valve cover on top of the electric motor.

I went there fairly committed to the Leaf purchase( or Lease), but felt the need for some hands on to firm up my decision.
1. Interior is not going to win any design awards, but I didn't consider it chintzy. As good as my Altima.
2. I'm 6'2", 220lb, driver seat was comfy, better than my Altima. Head room was good. With the driver seat all the way back, my knees where right into the back of it when I sat behind. With my wife and me in the back seat, the third passenger would need to be a small child. Strangely, I didn't feel the high floor in the back seat was the problem.
3. Car drove like a normal family car. Found the brakes to be a little quick to fully engage, but maybe that's because both cars we own now have over 100,000 miles. Was getting use to it by the end of the drive.
4. steering was OK, at the low speeds we where driving.
5. Loved the "jet turbine" whine of the electric motor when my wife floored it to get up to 50 mph over the short stretch of highway road.
6. This was decision time for exterior color, red hands down!
So I came way feeling good about the car, just have to wait my turn in the forgotten 36, and hope those 100,000+ cars hold together until then.

mikee322 said:
I know this doesn't sound like much to California ,but we have a second charge station within 12 miles of the House..For this area, its a big deal... They are clipper creek chargers located in a new garage in Sarasota .. The breakers are on ,but im not sure if they have power.. I don't see any pilot lights....

evseatparkinggaragesara.jpg

You are doing way better than I am in San Diego! :) I have a Costco 2 miles away with ancient incompatible EVSE. The state has agreed to come in and update the connectors to J1772, but no real timeline on when that will happen. And certainly the EV Project will start placing equipment soon. But, at the moment, it sounds like you are ahead of me regarding publicly available charging! :)

Just a quick note about those charge stations in Sarasota's New garage... First, there are four charge stations.. Second, the day i went up to check them out, all four parking positions had ICE vehicles in them.. I can see this being a issue ... Just because there are chargers ,doesn't mean you will be able to get to them..

Tampa had the Leaf drive tour this past weekend.. I was impressed with the vehicle for the few mins i had with it.. I'm a pretty big guy.. The fact that i fit in it with a few inches of head space was nice surprise... Also, to those who i spoke to about the St.Peterburg charging station.. I need to apologize ! Chargepoint shows a charge location in St Peterburg Near Tropicana stadium .. I checked this out after the event and discovered that its not accessible to the Public.. Actually, i seen no charger at all and must assume its inside the building..

Some local media ..
http://www.tampabay.com/features/co...-leaf-appeal-grows-as-gas-prices-rise/1151082

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/gallery/news/local/hillsborough/nissan-leaf-its-electric-021111

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/scitech/nissan-dispels-electric-car-myths-021111

Just bumping this up to see if anyone else in Florida is still waiting patiently and checking here for updates.

With the recent delays and the situation in Japan, anyone have any inside info or semi-educated predictions as to when we second tier state reservation holders will get our chance to order?

Given the delays from the earthquake, most tier 1 states will finish out their orders by end of summer (Late August/Sept). So probably you can order by Oct./Sept. at the earliest with delivery sneaking in just before the end of the year.

And that's best case scenario given that Oppama doesn't resume operations until the 14th (I think) and that's working with limited inventory. With all the aftershocks they keep having, who knows if supply will continue as normal.

So for someone like me, that missed the original reservations by a day, I've sorta given up hope on getting a Leaf in 2011. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....please? :)

That's not a bad guess Hank. Think it might be a best case scenario. I'm kind of assuming at this point that we in Florida will most like not see a leaf in in our driveway in 2011. If you haven't gotten in your reservation then you will most like be waiting till the US factory starts cranking out leafs. But since Nissan Marketing and Production division seems to live on different planets on a galaxy far far away from it future customers, it's all speculation at this point with a lot of variables unknown.

Long wait yes but I'm trying to put a good spin on it since my pre-order deposit about a year ago. Guess we will let the others discover the bugs and we get to see what else is coming out that might be better. The Ford Focus EV certainly looks like a good contender. Should be an exciting couple of years in the EV market so in some ways it is nice to know that I still have a choice. Bad for Nissan though because if they had stuck with there schedule from late last year or at least had better communication with me, I would be Leaf all the way. But now the competition is heating up.

HankHillNeedsALeaf said:

So for someone like me, that missed the original reservations by a day, I've sorta given up hope on getting a Leaf in 2011. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong....please? :)

Thanks for the predictions Hank! Regarding reservations, I also missed the 4/20/2010 day due to an email problem; I reserved on the 23rd. Have to admit I haven't been following whether the exact date and time of reservation has conclusively made a difference for the tier 1 orders.

Anyway I'm thinking there are fewer of us in the queue than in the tier 1 states so a few days difference in reserving shouldn't have much timing impact. So maybe there's still hope for us in 2011 (though I wonder if they will be 2012 models by then?)

I wish we would get an update soon. I know it will be quite a while. At least the deposit is small. I noticed that the Nissan dealer added a couple charging stations.

I'm not very patient. :geek:

LTLFTcomposite said:
Still seems like FL would be a good target for the Leaf. No hills and heat is rarely needed. I went with the white for the sake of A/C load, although it isn't clear how much difference that makes.

Mythbusters took this on:

SPINOFF MYTH: A black car heats up faster than an identical white car. (From Pilot 2)

confirmed

A fan wrote in and asked a follow up question: "Does the color of a car affect the way it heats up?". The MythBusters used two identical cars, one black the other white and left them both out in the summer heat with thermometers in both. By mid-afternoon the black car had heated up to a temperature of 135 °F [inside] while the white car topped off at 126 °F, almost 10 degrees cooler.

Well, one good thing about waiting is that others get to deal
with the "new Tech" glitches. Also things like roof racks, seat
covers, floor mats & windshield reflectors will be available.

Bad part.... loosing the 7500K fed refund.

Back