Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone wants to attend the car show on Friday I will be at the Whole Foods at University and Peters in Plantation at around 5.30 then I was planning on heading over to the show at 5.45 with anyone else that turns up

It might be a good idea to get phone numbers so PM me if you like

Brightonuk said:

We tried to get a group "contact list" going and I offered to adminster it. I only have info for you, Spike and Roy. If anyone else wants to be included, the offer is still open.

LTLFTcomposite said:
GCEAA mtg on Saturday 2/11 @ 10am - I will be there

If you can remember: remind Charlie? (the younger Volt owner) that he needs to upgrade that old AVCOM unit on Military Trail in Jupiter to J1772. ;) I plan on going down to the Leftovers restaurant sometime soon, and it would be neat to get a free charge while we eat.

evenoelle said:
Interesting that they are now $2.49 per hour instead of the original $3.00 per hour....still ridiculously high in my opinion.

If I did the math right the charging station in my garage is costing me $1.71 an hour over the course of two years. So $2.49 an hour for a public station doesn't leave much room for obscene profits, particularly when you factor in repairs, vandalism, and drug addicts stealing the cord.

365*24*2*1.71 = $29,959.20 if I did that right. How many hours per day did you use in your calculation and what was your cost?
LTLFTcomposite said:
If I did the math right the charging station in my garage is costing me $1.71 an hour over the course of two years. So $2.49 an hour for a public station doesn't leave much room for obscene profits, particularly when you factor in repairs, vandalism, and drug addicts stealing the cord.

EdmondLeaf said:
365*24*2*1.71 = $29,959.20 if I did that right. How many hours per day did you use in your calculation and what was your cost?
LTLFTcomposite said:
LTL, the EVSE should be pulling about 3.8 kW per hour, so at $0.11 per kWh, it should cost you about $0.42 per hour of L2 charging. :D

BrainDonor said:
EdmondLeaf said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
LTL, the EVSE should be pulling about 3.8 kW per hour, so at $0.11 per kWh, it should cost you about $0.42 per hour of L2 charging. :D
don't forget the cost of the charger and installation.

I missed a divide by 4 in the equipment cost...

$1000 / 730 days in two years / 4 hrs per day = 34 cents / hr cost for the equipment

plus 36 cents / hr for the electricity = 70 cents/hr

That said I still think it's going to be a tough road to money on public charging stations.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I missed a divide by 4 in the equipment cost...

$1000 / 730 days in two years / 4 hrs per day = 34 cents / hr cost for the equipment

plus 36 cents / hr for the electricity = 70 cents/hr

That said I still think it's going to be a tough road to money on public charging stations.
Hard to predict what will happen but a lot of big name companies are jumping at the chance to install chargers (mostly because Ecotality is giving them away for free in select markets). Ecotality was awarded the DOE grant to deploy charging stations across the nation http://www.theevproject.com. Even without public funding the minimal cost to install and run a charger is justifiable for a businesses that wants to attract Green employees and customers.

The cost of public charging could be paid solely by advertising if the EV market truly flourishes. On a more realistic note, companies like CarCharging.com are figuring out a good business model. They are the ones responsible for most of the Charge Point stations in South Florida. They own the chargers and set the rates. They realize it needs to be well under $2/hour for us to use them on a regular basis.

Who knows how relevant public chargers will be once EV batteries get 500 miles on a charge. The technology is there. The first one thousand 2012 Tesla Model S sedans will have a 300 mile range! They plan to roll out their own charging infrastructure which explains why they don't use the industry standard J1772 Connector. I guess Tesla owners can afford an adapter!

Brightonuk said:
If anyone wants to attend the car show on Friday I will be at the Whole Foods at University and Peters in Plantation at around 5.30 then I was planning on heading over to the show at 5.45 with anyone else that turns up

Sorry mate I am definitely not going to make it this Friday since I am under the weather. Let us know how it goes. Maybe the next weekend is better as it is Presidents Day on Monday.

spike09 said:
Brightonuk said:

Sorry mate I am definitely not going to make it this Friday since I am under the weather. Let us know how it goes. Maybe the next weekend is better as it is Presidents Day on Monday.

I'd love to do this, but can't make it today... if you're rescheduling or going again I'm in.

Brightonuk said:
Ok as the weather is so bad and it looks like a poor showing anyway how bout next week same time same place?

Sounds good. I don't take the Leaf out of the garage on rainy days because I don't want to get shocked.

Another interesting GCEAA meeting today in Delray. About 15 people in attendance but I was the only Leaf guy today. David Kerzel presented design alternatives for open source fast L2 chargers for conversions, followed by general discussion of EV issues including public charging. I asked Charles about upgrading the avcon unit in Jupiter to J1772 and he said that is planned to be updated; I think he said by the end of next month. Charles also said he is working on plans to get additional charging stations installed in the Old School Square parking garage.

There are some upcoming events that will provide opportunities for EVangelism that I will post specifics on here. I also mentioned the Home Depot car show, so if I have BrightonUK confirmation that is going down the afternoon of 2/17 I can have them blast that out as well.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I asked Charles about upgrading the avcon unit in Jupiter to J1772 and he said that is planned to be updated; I think he said by the end of next month. Charles also said he is working on plans to get additional charging stations installed in the Old School Square parking garage.

Thank you! :D I figure it can't hurt to keep reminding him.

Back