Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked carstations.com and found several new charging stations in South Florida!

Fontainebleau Hotel - Miami Beach
Element Hotel (Westin) Miami International Airport
Walgreens 1680 SE 17TH ST, Ft. Lauderdale
Walgreens 4600 Coconut Creek Pkwy, Coconut Creek
FAU Alt Vehicle PlugIn – Boca Raton (120V)
Bermudiana Shopping Center – Jupiter

My goal this summer it to post photos of all the L2 chargers in town!

Thanks for the information. Have you tried to update your stations on Carwings to see if they show up? I just responded to a guy on another thread (I don't think he was from Fla.) who was complaining that his Carwings does not accurately show the location of charging stations. I told him that my Carwings showed the charging stations that I have used in South Florida, but I have not tried to update the stations recently and wonder if the ones you located will show up.

My wife just reported from the Nordstrom garage at the Aventura Mall that she spotted a black LEAF charging! She was excited that it was her first sighting, even though it doesn't qualify as a full sighting because the other car was charging.

In any case, there are two LEAFs in the Nordstrom garage right now, probably a first... ;-)

The obvious question is, who is the black one? N1ghtrider? Brightnuk? Evenoelle? Anyone else?

BrainDonor said:
My wife just reported from the Nordstrom garage at the Aventura Mall that she spotted a black LEAF charging! She was excited that it was her first sighting, even though it doesn't qualify as a full sighting because the other car was charging.

In any case, there are two LEAFs in the Nordstrom garage right now, probably a first... ;-)

The obvious question is, who is the black one? N1ghtrider? Brightnuk? Evenoelle? Anyone else?
We were at the Aventura Mall on Sunday as well, but mine is silver. We were at the Bloomingdale Parking lot and saw a White Leaf with the "No Oil" License plate. Was that yours?

Did anyone else check out the Fiskar Karma on display inside the mall?

N1ghtrider said:
Thanks for the information. Have you tried to update your stations on Carwings to see if they show up? I just responded to a guy on another thread (I don't think he was from Fla.) who was complaining that his Carwings does not accurately show the location of charging stations. I told him that my Carwings showed the charging stations that I have used in South Florida, but I have not tried to update the stations recently and wonder if the ones you located will show up.

I update the CarWings charging stations all the time but I don't use the Nav System that much. I have never been in a situation where I need a public charger, that said I would like to know where all the L2 chargers in town are. There are so few I practically have them memorized!

For now I have all the locations printed out on a few sheets of paper stored in my glove box. I cross referenced several sources (CarStations.com, ChargePoint,.afdc.energy.gov) but have at least four more I need to check (PlugShare, Google Maps, CarWings, Recargo). And of course my goal is to see them in person. So far I have seen the Banker's Row Parking Lot and the Aventura Bloomingdale Parking Lot.

As far a CarWings accuracy, I know it is very easy to accidentally flag your travel destination as a charging location. It has happened to me three times already and you have to go through several menus to delete it.

spike09 said:
We were at the Bloomingdale Parking lot and saw a White Leaf with the "No Oil" License plate. Was that yours?
Yes, that is our car! My wife wound up parking in the Bloomingdales parking lot because the Nordstrom one was full. So in the end there were (at least) 3 LEAFs at Aventura Mall on Sunday... ;-)

P.S.: Was this your first sighting?

BrainDonor said:
spike09 said:
We were at the Bloomingdale Parking lot and saw a White Leaf with the "No Oil" License plate. Was that yours?
Yes, that is our car! My wife wound up parking in the Bloomingdales parking lot because the Nordstrom one was full. So in the end there were (at least) 3 LEAFs at Aventura Mall on Sunday... ;-)

P.S.: Was this your first sighting?
Yes but it was parked!

I was driving down I-75 around Pines Blvd this morning. I looked a couple of cars ahead of me and said, "No. It can’t be." I sped up and to my amazement it was a powder blue Chevy Volt. I have yet to see a LEAF in the wild, but it appears at least one person in western, metropolitan Broward County owns a Volt.

Weatherman said:
I was driving down I-75 around Pines Blvd this morning. I looked a couple of cars ahead of me and said, "No. It can’t be." I sped up and to my amazement it was a powder blue Chevy Volt. I have yet to see a LEAF in the wild, but it appears at least one person in western, metropolitan Broward County owns a Volt.

I'm seeing Volts almost daily now (not counting the guy here at work who just got one). People are getting some attractive lease deals. Imagine that, you cut the price and sales increase. Looks like they are inflating the residuals and hoping for the best when "later" rolls around.

We've seen 5 new Volts at the Town Center EVSE in Jacksonville. 3 (IIRC) with new car tags. Still haven't seen a Volt or Leaf "in the wild".
LTLFTcomposite said:
I'm seeing Volts almost daily now (not counting the guy here at work who just got one). People are getting some attractive lease deals. Imagine that, you cut the price and sales increase. Looks like they are inflating the residuals and hoping for the best when "later" rolls around.
The Leaf's lease rate was brought way down too. It's so good, I'm really reconsidering waiting for the 2013 Leaf 6.6 or the FFE with the 6.6. But, you're right, they're both inflating the residual and dropping the money factor.

Are all the LEAF lessees here in Florida feeling good about their decision, in light of the battery capacity fade seen out in Arizona?

After reading through all the modeling studies and hearing over and over that the battery is expected to only lose 20-30% capacity over five to ten years (which, not coincidentally, is what the models show), 15% loss is one year is ridiculously fast. Florida isn’t super toasty like the lower elevations in Arizona, but our summers last a long time and it can get pretty hot inside a car on afternoons when the sun is out.

I am feeling good about leasing not only because of battery degradation (and mine will be worse as I charge to 100%), but I expect that battery capacity will be much greater when I have had my Leaf for 3 years and I don't want to be locked-in to a car that is obsolete.

Weatherman said:
Are all the LEAF lessees here in Florida feeling good about their decision, in light of the battery capacity fade seen out in Arizona?

Leesee or not, I am slightly worried, for Nissan's sake. We have ZERO data history for LEAFs in Florida. If anything, I would suspect the Orlando folks would see it first, as the summer temps of inland Florida can get pretty high. Time will tell, but I'm not overly concerned. I work from home, and have a PHEV Prius for backup, so slightly less range wouldn't affect me much.

Tonight on my way home I saw a Fisker Karma at Clint Moore and Jog in Boca. I couldn't believe it! It looked very nice. I also spotted a Volt in the parking lot at lunch, also in Boca. So today was a good day for EV spotting.

I have had more court cases than usual in the Broward County Circuit Courthouse recently, which is 36 miles from my house, so I have been parking a block from the courthouse at the Publix on Andrews Avenue, which has a L2 charger on the upper level of the parking garage. Some of my court cases have taken several hours, and I really can make the round trip even without recharging at Publix, but I am taking advantage of the free charger while I am there anyway. If any of our Florida LEAF owners ever see my silver LEAF plugged-in up there, feel free to unplug me and use the charger yourself.

N1ghtrider said:
If any of our Florida LEAF owners ever see my silver LEAF plugged-in up there, feel free to unplug me and use the charger yourself.
Do you have a Charge Protocol card? You could indicate your request with it.
http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weatherman said:

After reading through all the modeling studies and hearing over and over that the battery is expected to only lose 20-30% capacity over five to ten years (which, not coincidentally, is what the models show), 15% loss is one year is ridiculously fast. Florida isn’t super toasty like the lower elevations in Arizona, but our summers last a long time and it can get pretty hot inside a car on afternoons when the sun is out.

It's hard not to feel good about that decision no matter what. As near as I could tell from crunching the numbers the only downside to leasing is if you decide to buy out the car at the end it costs you $1500-2000 more than if you had just bought it outright to begin with. So I'll have to get back to you in 2 1/2 years whether it was a good decision or not, although I'm feeling pretty good about it anyway because when I had my taxes done it looked like my $7500 credit would have been reduced... so I may have come out ahead anyway.

I don't expect the batteries will be particularly affected by heat here in southeast FL; our summer temps here usually aren't as bad as lots of other places much further north. Humidity is higher but I haven't heard where that's an issue with the batteries. Maybe it will be with the lithium air batteries on the 2020 models.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I don't expect the batteries will be particularly affected by heat here in southeast FL; our summer temps here usually aren't as bad as lots of other places much further north. Humidity is higher but I haven't heard where that's an issue with the batteries. Maybe it will be with the lithium air batteries on the 2020 models.

A few things to consider with South Florida summer weather...

First, the bad...

Although daytime high temperatures don't get very high, it gets warm and stays warm for a much longer than locations further north. Summer temperatures start earlier in the year (April or May) and end later in the year (late October) and temperatures stay warm overnight. We think nothing of having the temperature stay in the 80s all night. The National Weather Service would be issuing heat advisories for just about anywhere else in the country if the temps were in the 90s during the day and stayed above 80 all night. My guess is a South Florida LEAF's battery temperature would hover around the 30C (86F) mark for six months out of the year.

The sun is almost directly overhead from mid May through early August. If you have to leave your car outside during the day and don't have some form of heatshield on the windshield, interior temperatures can easily climb to over 150F. Even with a heatshield, temperatures can get up to 110F. Fortunately, the battery is in the shade, under the car, but I don't know how well the battery is insulated from the car's cabin temperatures. In any case, it would be a good idea to park in the shade or use a heatshield to keep the temperatures in the car's cabin under control.

Now, the good...

We, usually, get a lot of clouds and rain during the summer. This has several effects: it cools the air off, it blocks out the sun, and if rain water splashes on the undercarriage of the car while you're driving, it should cool the battery off by direct contact and by evaporative cooling. Might even drop that 30C (86F) temperature down to 25C (77F), or so, with a long enough exposure.

There is a reason why Nissan LEAF leases have such low residual values (I recall it was somewhere around 45% for a 12,000 mile/36 month lease). I'm sure they wanted to hedge their bets in case the battery degrades faster than their models and preliminary tests indicate. I would hope my car is worth more than 45% of its original value two and a half years from now, even with one or two of the battery capacity bars gone. I had the misfortune of starting out with a little less than normal capacity on my battery from the start, so I expect to see the first bar drop before just about everyone else. But, fortunately, my modest, daily driving requirements give me to option of babying the battery, if I want to.

Back