Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N1ghtrider said:
As we learned at the Miami Beach event recently, FPL is offering free Level 2 chargers to EV owners so they can conduct a pilot project studying electric use. Even though I already have my AV charger, the program has agreed to install another free one in my garage. The electrician did the home inspection yesterday. I will be able to sell my AV unit or install it at a friend or family member's home, far enough away to increase my range in that direction.

Here is the info for those of you who would like to do the same thing:

Teresa Hosler
SPX EV Support Customer Service
Phone: 1-877-805-3873
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 1-866-259-1241

I assume they are installing a Blink EVSE?

N1ghtrider said:
As we learned at the Miami Beach event recently, FPL is offering free Level 2 chargers to EV owners so they can conduct a pilot project studying electric use. Even though I already have my AV charger, the program has agreed to install another free one in my garage. The electrician did the home inspection yesterday. I will be able to sell my AV unit or install it at a friend or family member's home, far enough away to increase my range in that direction.

Teresa Hosler

We just called and she indicated we needed to fill out the survey at https://www.homecharging.spx.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - choose "Chevy Volt" because they do not have an option there for the LEAF. Within minutes they called and are planning to come out to do the inspection. Thanks for the info Roy!

N1ghtrider said:

Teresa Hosler

Thank N1ghtrider
Called SPX and although it seems Chevy orientated the rep said the Leaf should be OK.

I signed up for one at the office/wharehouse I also offered to make it available to anyone who needs to charge during our office hours.
Called Teresa should be calling me back to go over if I am a candidate, I would hope so as I am offering to add a free charge point

Guys no one else for the Friday night meet?

It is a perfect venue to further the EV cause, EV LTLFTcomposite has reached out to Volt owners so we may see a few of those guys as well.

Brightonuk said:
Guys no one else for the Friday night meet?

It is a perfect venue to further the EV cause, EV LTLFTcomposite has reached out to Volt owners so we may see a few of those guys as well.

I'm still planning to be there... hope to see a few more folks.

List me as a "probable" attendee on Friday (that is, if I can get enough charge after my third 200+ km drive on a single charge). I coasted onto the swale in front of my house and have 3 extension cords stretched out to get the Level 1 charger going.

2029km.jpg

N1ghtrider said:
List me as a "probable" attendee on Friday (that is, if I can get enough charge after my third 200+ km drive on a single charge). I coasted onto the swale in front of my house and have 3 extension cords stretched out to get the Level 1 charger going.

Great, it would be good to have a stronger EV/Leaf showing. I haven't heard any responses from the GCEAA email blast but who knows, some of them may just show up.

So I don't see the turtle in your pic. Did you kill the little bugger?

N1ghtrider I really do not know how you do it mate :eek:
How many miles this time?

I have only hit turtle once in my neighborhood and that was done on purpose to check the GID meter reading

Interesting time tonight at the car show in Davie with N1ghtrider and Brightonuk. Lots of folks interested in hearing about the Leaf. I talked myself hoarse, although 90% of it answering the same four questions:

How far does it go on a charge?
How long does it take to charge?
How much does it cost?
What do you do if you are out driving and you run low?

Steve's right about the same questions next time we discussed putting an info sheet on the window but lots of interest I took four people out for a test drive and N1ghtrider and LTLFTcomposite took a few as well.

People were genuinely interested in this car even the gearheads.

Even if you do not show your car it is a great show to go to. at least 200 cars and some gorgeous classics 1950 on, a good family orientated show for any Friday night

Brightonuk said:
Steve's right about the same questions next time we discussed putting an info sheet on the window but lots of interest I took four people out for a test drive and N1ghtrider and LTLFTcomposite took a few as well.

Even if you do not show your car it is a great show to go to. at least 200 cars and some gorgeous classics 1950 on, a good family orientated show for any Friday night
Sorry I could not make it down there last night. Sounds like you guys did a great job showing off the LEAFs. I would be interested in a more local show.

The leaflets (pun intended) are a great idea to disseminate information. I believe keydiver has adapted an information sheet to our local area which includes information on FP&L programs for electric cars as well as PV installations. That would be a great start for the leaflets....

Has everyone signed up for the free charger offer from FPL?
I got approved on Friday and N1ghtrider is also approved.
You get ether a Blink or a Clipper Creek (I was told you do not get to chose but a free charger is fine with me)
They will only consider a residential install I tried to get on at my office and told them I would allow anyone to charge but it got rejected so I am gonna move my Blink to the office and have them install the new one at my house.

As a side note I added my office location to a free charge point that now shows up on the Car stations app (If you do not have this app it is great for finding stations not on carwings)

http://carstations.com/

and would encourage anyone else that would like to offer their commercial location as a "free charge point" to add it.

Sorry we missed everyone on Friday. There was terrible traffic going to Aventura because of a car accident and the usual rush hour traffic and by the time we would have made it out to you all, it would have been too late.

My husband has been talking to the people about the free charger - they had to call FPL to insure that we are eligible and then they were going to call us back to make an appointment to come out and assess our home. If we are approved, we will move one of the chargers to my mom's house in Wilton Manors.

In the meantime, my LEAF is currently at BS Nissan getting the software update. I really like that the only person able to deal with the service on the car is the Manager (Ariel) - I am guessing that he is the only one they have trained. He did tell me that the lower apron fix is only for cold weather states and that my car would not be receiving it. He said it purely has to do with temperature and we will never see those temperatures here. (If you guys hear different when you bring yours in at the other dealers, please let us know!) He said that they are allotted 1-2 cars each month to sell and that they have plenty of reservations already - I thought that was good to know.

(SPIKE - They do not have the updated manuals yet - they will let us know when they come in.)

They gave me a loaner car in the meantime, I'm not sure what would have been worse - driving this loaner car or sitting in the waiting room there for 2 hours.

N1ghtrider said:
I think I am cured of the hig mileage efforts for awhile. It drives my wife crazy to drive so slowly with the windows open.
:lol: I had just been thinking that I bet your wife isn't pleased....and then you posted this. Funny.

BrainDonor said:
Brightonuk said:

Sorry I could not make it down there last night. Sounds like you guys did a great job showing off the LEAFs. I would be interested in a more local show.

The leaflets (pun intended) are a great idea to disseminate information. I believe keydiver has adapted an information sheet to our local area which includes information on FP&L programs for electric cars as well as PV installations. That would be a great start for the leaflets....
Sounds like a good time was had by all. I will try and make it next time.

Brightonuk said:
Has everyone signed up for the free charger offer from FPL?
I got approved on Friday and N1ghtrider is also approved.
You get ether a Blink or a Clipper Creek (I was told you do not get to chose but a free charger is fine with me)
They will only consider a residential install I tried to get on at my office and told them I would allow anyone to charge but it got rejected so I am gonna move my Blink to the office and have them install the new one at my house.

As a side note I added my office location to a free charge point that now shows up on the Car stations app (If you do not have this app it is great for finding stations not on carwings)

http://carstations.com/

and would encourage anyone else that would like to offer their commercial location as a "free charge point" to add it.

I am waiting back to hear from FPL to see if I am approved. Taking up an offer for a free charger would be an easy decision if I did not already have one! I researched all the units before deciding on the AV EVSE. It is a reliable, compact and unobtrusive unit. It was also the only one with a 25ft cable. After having used it I really like the front panel LED design that make it very clear to see the charging status even from a distance.

From what I read in the forums, some people are still having problems with their Blink units even with the 2.0 software upgrade. I can not imagine having to double check every time just to make sure my car is charging! The fact is the complexity of adding networking, logging and timers to the EVSE unit itself is better suited for commercial installations. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of replacing a perfectly good unit with one that I might not like as much. I have yet to find somewhere practical, that is between 40 to 80 miles away from my home, to install my existing unit. I guess I could hold on to my existing unit until I am sure my new unit is worth keeping.

spike09 said:
I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of replacing a perfectly good unit with one that I might not like as much.

+1

I don't want to take something I don't need just because it is free. Perhaps FPL can find someone else who can use it.

What't the point of this program anyway? Collect some data? I don't mind helping them out, can they get what they need with the EVSE I already have? (Schneider)

LTLFTcomposite said:
spike09 said:
I don't know if I want to go through the hassle of replacing a perfectly good unit with one that I might not like as much.

+1

I don't want to take something I don't need just because it is free. Perhaps FPL can find someone else who can use it.

What't the point of this program anyway? Collect some data? I don't mind helping them out, can they get what they need with the EVSE I already have? (Schneider)
Only if your model has built-in networking (mine does not). FPL needs an EVSE with built-in networking so the unit can transmit data via your wireless home network which is collected by ChargePoint America and then relayed to FPL. I suppose this is easier than having FPL install a separate wireless electrical meter just for the EVSE.

EVSE with built-in networking are essential for public charging stations. It is very important to know the status of a specific public charging station when you are looking for a charge. Right now the two major players are the Blink Network (ECOtality, Inc) and ChargePoint (Coulomb Technologies).

I sure hope Florida gets at least a few of the 800 Nissan DC Rapid Charging Stations http://www.greencarreports.com/news...2000-dc-quick-charging-target-for-u-s-by-2014 eTec (Ecotality) plans to install in the next two months.

Back