Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Met up with the GCEAA guys this morning. Interesting discussion as always.

They have an evangelism support request to the Leaf community to bring a car the to the Delray Earth Day festival next Saturday morning. I would do it but I'm OOT next w/e. This is a minimal commitment; be there about 8:30am and you'll be done by noon. No cost other than getting yourself and your Leaf there. Andrew will have his GT-40 there which always attracts a lot of attention but it's important to have a Volt and a Leaf there to help get the message out that you don't have to build your own EV! Anyway feel free to PM me, or get in touch with the GCEAA guys if you can help out. There is charging at Banker's row if anyone needs it.

I forgot to tell you to please thank Charlie for the J1772 upgrade in Jupiter. I've been using it! :D We had lunch one day at CG Burgers, and lunch another day at Carmine's Wood Fired Pizza. Got lots of interest from people seeing my LEAF plugged in charging. Its a shame more of the chargers aren't at such public places, to attract attention to the fact the car is electric.

Note from Charles Whalen re the event on Saturday. Support from S FL Leaf owners would be appreciated. PM me or email Charles at [email protected], or just show up.

Just a reminder to everyone about Delray Beach's Earth Day event this
Saturday, April 21st, from 9am to noon at Old School Square Park in downtown
Delray Beach, on the west side of NE 2nd Avenue a half block north of
Atlantic Avenue. Anyone with an electric car is invited to display it at
this event in the park. It was a great event last year, and we're hoping
for another good turnout this year. We've got some good-natured competition
this year from our friends in the CNG community, who will be displaying
their CNG vehicles. So let's put on a good showing and let everyone see how
popular electric cars have become, and also turn out to show our gratitude
to Delray Beach for being the first city in Palm Beach County to install
public charging stations and also for hosting our monthly meetings of South
Florida electric car drivers at the city's Community Center.

Charles Whalen

Has anyone used the public chargers in Melbourne and/or Palm Bay? There's supposed to be an L2 at the Kohl's on Palm Bay Rd & I95 and another at the Comfort Suites on Malabar & I95.

I'll be making a trip from Orlando to Vero Beach and will need to stop at one of those changers.

Thanks!

mcochris said:
Has anyone used the public chargers in Melbourne and/or Palm Bay? There's supposed to be an L2 at the Kohl's on Palm Bay Rd & I95 and another at the Comfort Suites on Malabar & I95.

I'll be making a trip from Orlando to Vero Beach and will need to stop at one of those changers.

Thanks!
The Kohl's chargers are free to use and are part of the ChargePoint Network.

Are you going to the Gables EarthFest celebration on Sun?
[/quote]
Went to the Coral Gables Earth Day Festivities today. It started to pour right during the opening ceremony but it cleared up pretty quick. The EV/Hybrid Alley had a Tesla Roadster and an FPL Leaf. The Volt was there along with a few other hybrids. Afterwards we went to the Barnacle in Coconut Grove for their Earth Day celebration. No EV's but they did have their three GEM runabouts in action and visible. Had a nice chat about EV's and Solar with the Sierra Club people. Overall I had a much better day than I expected.

Are they going to have another National Plug-In Day? I would participate in a EV parade!

Went to the one in Delray me a couple of DIY EVs, LTLFTcomposite's Leaf and a Volt

It was OK not much going on except for the woman chanting about mother earth and the snake and the Jaguar while shaking a morraca thing (You had to be there) and the mayor thinking what the f*** am I doing here? as the local press took photos.

That was the high point :roll:

Brightonuk said:
Went to the one in Delray me a couple of DIY EVs, LTLFTcomposite's Leaf and a Volt

It was OK not much going on except for the woman chanting about mother earth and the snake and the Jaguar while shaking a morraca thing (You had to be there) and the mayor thinking what the f*** am I doing here? as the local press took photos.

Did it rain?

Hey folks,
Anyone here from north Florida? We're outside of Jacksonville and haven't seen any Leaf's yet and only a few Volts. I'm just wondering when we'll start seeing a charging infrastructure up here. I know I don't need it because of the range extending generator, but the less gas I buy the happier I am. Obviously Leaf folks will need the infrastructure more, so I figured I'd stop in and say hi and see if there's anything we can do to help. I see there's one ChargePoint at the airport, but that's so far away from everything it's kind of pointless. I also wonder what they're charging, because if it's the $3/hour I heard about earlier there's no point since the Volt can get 40 MPG using the gas generator.

FWIW, we've called the zoo as well as the Town Center and Avenues Malls. The malls are both owned by Simon and they only have plans for the Town Center getting a charging station (too bad because I prefer the Avenues because it's indoors). The Jax zoo has no plans at this point. Funny since they have a lot of conservation themes :roll:

Wow @ the maracas thing :shock:

Brightonuk said:

Oh you made it after all? Andrew said it quiet but he did meet with the Delray mayor which he though was important for the sake of promoting more public charging in Delray. Also some press interviews. I couldn't make it but I had Andrew take my car, as he wasn't keen on taking the GT-40 out with rain in the forecast. Too bad, the GT-40 always attracts attention, but having production cars is good so people know this isn't just a nerd convention.

spike09 said:
Brightonuk said:

Did it rain?

Na Mother Earth with the chanting and shaking the Maracas took care of that.
It was like a flash back to the 60's (Minus the hallucinogens) :shock:

spike09 said:
mcochris said:

Thanks!
I would call the Kohls to confirm since I think the charger is actually installed in a different Palm Bay in Greater Los Angeles. I would check on the status of the Comfort Suite on carstations.com as well. Also try Plug-share.

Recently checked for public charging stations along I-95 myself since I'm thinking about making my first "long-distance" LEAF trip from Jupiter to St. Augustine. According to carstations.com, there's one at Kohl's (I-95 exit 176 / 205 Palm Bay Rd W., Melbourne) and one at Comfort Suites (I-95 exit 173 / 1175 Malabar Rd, Palm Bay). Unsure whether latter is available to non-guests; was planning to call just before the trip.

JupiterLEAF said:
spike09 said:
mcochris said:

Thanks!
I would call the Kohls to confirm since I think the charger is actually installed in a different Palm Bay in Greater Los Angeles. I would check on the status of the Comfort Suite on carstations.com as well. Also try Plug-share.

Recently checked for public charging stations along I-95 myself since I'm thinking about making my first "long-distance" LEAF trip from Jupiter to St. Augustine. According to carstations.com, there's one at Kohl's (I-95 exit 176 / 205 Palm Bay Rd W., Melbourne) and one at Comfort Suites (I-95 exit 173 / 1175 Malabar Rd, Palm Bay). Unsure whether latter is available to non-guests; was planning to call just before the trip.

I have confirmed via ChargePoint and a Kohl's press release the chargers at the Kohl's in Melbourne is operational.

Additionally there are two more at Central Florida Kohl's.

Lady Lake
492 N. Hwy. 27/441
Lady Lake, FL 32159

Lakeland
1401 Town Center Dr.
Lakeland, FL 33803

Had my longest one-way drive a few days ago, from Coral Gables to West Palm on I-95. 83 miles to free charge point chargers at Clematis Street garage. Then I drove all around town until this (Friday) morning, when I went back to the garage to get a second charge while I was in trial at the courthouse nearby.

Note that I registered for (and received) my Chargepoint membership card, but could not find it this week. There is a toll-free number on the charging stations and you can call to request that the unit be activated even without the card.

I returned this evening (so far, 76 miles to my office) on that single charge, doing 60 mph on I-95 with the air conditioning on.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Charge-car-as-you-shop-at-St-Johns-Town-Center/-/475880/11777976/-/b31rpjz/-/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I see the replies to the story on the site from the locals is typical EV trashing :?

I'm excited that Jacksonville finally has a public charger. Ok, we have a chargepoint at the airport, but it's in a private parking garage so you have to pay to use it and I'm sure pay to get into the lot. The airport is also really far away from everything so I doubt it sees a lot of use. The other "public" chargers are all at Chevy & Nissan dealers and are behind gates that lock at night :( The charger at the Town Center is free - for now. I guess it JUST went live.

Anyway, I'm glad Jax finally has one in a good location. I'd like to see more at the other malls we shop at, at the zoos and museums and the restaurants we visit. But, it's a start! I'm hoping to find some Leaf owners in the Jax area that can help me put some more pressure on these business. I spoke to the zoo again and they still have no plans but will put it in front of their Green Team so it's possible.

Back