Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mirko said:
Is there a Gold Coast EAA meeting tomorrow which is the second Saturday of the month? If so when/where? There was no information on the site about this months meeting.
Apparently Andrew is falling down on the job. I don't know what we're paying him for :)

Email from David Kerzel:
There will be a Gold Coast EAA Meeting on Saturday July 14, 2012 at 10 AM.

We will meet at the Delray Beach Community Center, at 50 NW 1st Ave., 33444,

continuing our same tradition and routine of meeting for 2 hours, from 10am to noon.

The Banker's Row Parking Lot charging stations are on the northwest corner of the intersection of NE 1st Ave. & NE 2nd St.

I hope we can discuss the charger project http://osevproject.com/index.php/forum/5-electrical-components/3-gold-coast-eaa-high-power-charger-project" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the beginning of the meeting. Andrew is going to show his driver interface. I will bring some parts for discussion. Then there will be time for general discussion for at least the second [hour]

Click here to view the June 26, 2012 edition of SAE Vehicle Electrification.

Just wanted to check in. I have been lurking on these forums for more than a year but now that I have a brand new Leaf in the garage i thought I should say Hi!

2012 Cayenne SV
212 miles so far
We are in Sarasota Florida

jrreno said:
2012 Cayenne SV
212 miles so far
We are in Sarasota Florida
Hello, jrreno! I'm just 30 miles south in Port Charlotte, and also have a 2012 Cayenne SV. I've owned and loved it since early February and have 1600 miles on it. (Most everything I need is close to home. My longest trip to date was, in fact, to Sarasota--66 miles RT.)

FLBoy, likewise with us. I'm hard pressed to put more than about 30 miles on in a day. I have a level 2 charger but I think I could have gotten by most of the time with the level 1. I think someday I'm going to try a trip to Tampa International. They have a level 2 in the parking lot. If we flew out of there I think we'd have enough charge to do the one way trips (69 miles)

So we took some family to the Beach House on Anna Marie Island in the Leaf. When I handed the fob to the Valet parking guy and mentioned the car was electric he said " yea a Leaf, I've driven a few of these".
So there must be a few others besides the ones owned by folks on this forum. My dealer Gettel Nissan only knew of two others.

Just did the paperwork for my new SL this evening here just north of Tampa. Hope to have the charging station installed this week and take possession by the weekend. Went in just window shopping and left with a lease in place. I've owned two Prii and look forward to learning all about my Leaf!

Hello FL Leaf owners.. greetings from La!!!

So... you guys are similar to us as far as summer heat.. have any of you had any of the battery loss problems like the folks in Az???

lolguy said:
Just did the paperwork for my new SL this evening here just north of Tampa. Hope to have the charging station installed this week and take possession by the weekend. Went in just window shopping and left with a lease in place. I've owned two Prii and look forward to learning all about my Leaf!

Welcome lolguy. Maybe you'll have the opportunity to check out the chargers in the Tampa area. I'd like to use the Leaf to go to TPA on occaision but I will need to charge to get back home to Sarasota. I'm considering the AAA in Tampa or the parking garage at the airport but It looks like the parking charger is only avalable to "Valet Service" parking.

coach81 said:

So... you guys are similar to us as far as summer heat.. have any of you had any of the battery loss problems like the folks in Az???
No problems so far but FL Leafers have only had their cars since December, nearly a year less than west coast/AZ folks.

Email from David Kerzel re the monthly GCEAA meeting:
There will be a Gold Coast EAA Meeting on Saturday August 11, 2012 at 10 AM.

We will meet at the Delray Beach Community Center, at 50 NW 1st Ave., 33444,

continuing our same tradition and routine of meeting for 2 hours, from 10am to noon, then looking at the cars for a while.

The Banker's Row Parking Lot charging stations are on the northwest corner of the intersection of NE 1st Ave. & NE 2nd St.

I have been distracted and have no specific topics planned for the month but I am sure we can find some interesting things to talk about, David

Hub motor to add torque to ICE car.
Student hybrid car project could bring millions to Tennessee university

Shared while visiting FoxNews.com:
http://soc.li/oyPZaFL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last month's meeting was pretty interesting, including a rep from FPL.

Also looks like they're planning an EV meet up Saturday evening at Packy's... I did that a couple months ago, it was a nice diversion. I'm planning to go again; it would be good if some other Leafers can make it.

http://goldcoasteaa.org/?p=646

coach81 said:

No. I have one of the first Florida Leafs. I am happy to report no loss of range after 8 months. In Florida we run the car A/C year round.

The reported losses are all in desert climates. South Florida is a sub-tropical climate. There is very little variation in temperature down here. Also it is much more humid and I think that is good for the batteries.

As we say down here "It's not the heat, it's the humidity"!!

spike09 said:
coach81 said:

No. I have one of the first Florida Leafs. I am happy to report no loss of range after 8 months. In Florida we run the car A/C year round.

The reported losses are all in desert climates. South Florida is a sub-tropical climate. There is very little variation in temperature down here. Also it is much more humid and I think that is good for the batteries.

I also have one of the first LEAFs in South Florida. With over 11,000 miles on board we do not see any battery degradation. But then again, the AZ folks did not see any degradation during their first summer (last year).

Unless you started out with some sort of defect (like I did with my first LEAF), no Florida resident, who is in possession of a 2012 model year car, should see any significant capacity loss until sometime next March or April. They need to go through at least one summer, first, and the 2012s didn't start arriving until after things started to cool off last October.

It may be possible that anyone who bought one of the 2011 demos might see some loss by the end of this summer. It just depends on how well the dealer treated the car last summer.

One last thing... for us humans, the Florida humidity makes it feel much warmer than it actually is. But, unlike us, the LEAF doesn't use evaporative cooling to cool the battery, so, as far as the car is concerned, it doesn't matter if the humidity is 30% or 100%, all that matters is the temperature, and there's a big difference between average temps in the lower to mid 80s (Florida), and average temps in the mid to upper 90s (Phoenix).

BrainDonor said:
spike09 said:
coach81 said:

I also have one of the first LEAFs in South Florida. With over 11,000 miles on board we do not see any battery degradation. But then again, the AZ folks did not see any degradation during their first summer (last year).
Actually if you read the Wiki you will see there were two (one in AZ and one in CA) that had to have their batteries replaced after 7 months. And if you read down the list of cars with battery loss there are a few on their first summer.

In fact, one AZ owner got his 2012 about the same time as we did and already lost a bar. But he has been driving it in 110 degree heat all summer. As long as your battery temp stays 6 bars or under you are in good shape. Don't forget there are also reports of cars with over 20K miles without any range loss. And I am certain Nissan would come up with a quick fix (like a thermal blanket battery insulator) if they were forced to issue a recall.

I have a flyer for the upcoming National Plugin Day ( September 23rd) which locally will be "Electrify the Circle" with an EV parade from Sarasota to St. Armands Circle.

Could someone tell me the best way to get it in this forum and where else to post it to let West Coast Floridans be notified?

Since I can't post the flyer here is the information for
The Sarasota event on National Plug In Day

Electrify the Circle
Sunday September 23rd, 2012
10AM - 3:00PM

10am - 10:30am
Proclamation / Awards Ceremony
Selby Five Points Park, Sarasota

10:30am - 11:00am
Electric Vehicle Silent Parade over the Ringling Bridge

11:00am - 3:00pm
EV EXPO "Electrify the Circle" at St. Armands Circle
EVs on Display, Electrifying Entertainment
Public EV ride & drives

For more information or to sign up to put your EV in the parade contact:
[email protected]
or go to
pluginday.org and use the ZIP code 34236 to get to the Sarasota page

Another tidbit I came across regarding Florida law
I did not copy it in it's entirety but here is the key phrase:

(3)(a) It is unlawful for a person to stop, stand, or park a vehicle that is not capable of using an electrical recharging station
within any parking space specifically designated for charging an electric vehicle.

Evidently signage at charging stations will be changing to inform ICE drivers

Back