Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rslatkin said:
It looks like someone has added a CHAdeMO DC Fast Charger on Plugshare at 29200 S. Jones Loop Rd. Lot 133, Punta Gorda, FL. Can someone please verify if that charger exists?
Look here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12460" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think the listing is legit, but I don't know that for sure yet.

Well, I'm sad to report that we've lost another bar. My wife drives the car most of the time. Don't know when it happened as I noticed it tonight - I had to count the capacity bars and there it was, only 10! :-(

We don't baby the car, but we do take good care of it. It's charged to 100% during the week with an end timer so it's topped off around 8am and wife leaves the house within 30 minutes. During the weekend I charge it to 80% on an end timer so it's ready by 10am. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up over the summer.

Anyone else in South Florida with 10 bars?

Still love our LEAF!...

I bet you're not alone. There's a good reason why Ft. Lauderdale sits near the top of the battery aging model city list.

Did you take the car in for the recent software update? At least the drop in range will simply be bad rather than horrendous. Might just as well squeeze whatever we can out of our rapidly dying batteries. I ran a test a couple of days ago and managed to get 48 miles from an 80% charge to LBW. Before the update, I was only able to go 42 miles for the same test. 48 miles is consistent with my one-bar loss.

So there we go. I was thinking we wouldn't have quite as bad as desert sw areas but weatherman called it we may be right on par with az even without the blast furnace temps. Halfway through the lease should be ok for our needs but I think we'll be done with leafs then.

Braindonor, you're halfway through your lease in time but 2/3 in miles. At this rate you'll be 12000 over, will you just pay the $1800 penalty? In a sense that reduces your buyout price, even more if they try to charge you for more stuff like a door ding or spot on the upholstery. You would still have two more years/12000 miles for the battery warranty to possibly kick in and get a replacement.

Anyone up for a North Miami Whole Foods Meetup?

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spike09 said:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=12712" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might be, but every time I've been there the parking lot is packed so that might be a issue. Both the charge stations work well, and unlike the W-F in Miami Beach they put cones in the EV spots so that the ICE's don't use them (never been able to charge at Miami Beach and the management there couldn't care less).

electricD said:
spike09 said:

Might be, but every time I've been there the parking lot is packed so that might be a issue. Both the charge stations work well, and unlike the W-F in Miami Beach they put cones in the EV spots so that the ICE's don't use them (never been able to charge at Miami Beach and the management there couldn't care less).
The trick to using the South Beach Whole Foods charger is to park in the grassy area ( the one with the no parking sign)

LTLFTcomposite said:
So there we go. I was thinking we wouldn't have quite as bad as desert sw areas but weatherman called it we may be right on par with az even without the blast furnace temps. Halfway through the lease should be ok for our needs but I think we'll be done with leafs then.
A month has gone by and not much impact on being down to 11 capacity bars. I still average 3 round trip work commutes on a single charge and I still can go further than the EPA 73 mile estimate.

What I have lost is the flexibility of running down the battery on a 4th commute when I'm over 65 miles. Attempting a 5th commute is probably out of the question since that requires at least 100 miles. I feel better anyways since not "running on empty" improves battery life. Maybe I should take a hint and start charging to 80% anytime I am below 30% (or is it below 60%?).

Even though we have lost some we too are still able to do what we need to with the car and fairly confident that will hold through the end of the lease. Wouldn't be surprised in nissan made some accommodation if it doesn't, but hopefully don't have to get involved in that discussion.

spike09 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
A month has gone by and not much impact on being down to 11 capacity bars. I still average 3 round trip work commutes on a single charge and I still can go further than the EPA 73 mile estimate.

What I have lost is the flexibility of running down the battery on a 4th commute when I'm over 65 miles. Attempting a 5th commute is probably out of the question since that requires at least 100 miles. I feel better anyways since not "running on empty" improves battery life. Maybe I should take a hint and start charging to 80% anytime I am below 30% (or is it below 60%?).

Did you get the most recent software update for you LEAF from Nissan? Some are reporting that there range has been extended a couple of miles and the meter is a little more accurate. If you haven't got a letter about it you might want to contact your local Nissan service to see when you can get your car flashed.

electricD said:
Did you get the most recent software update for you LEAF from Nissan? Some are reporting that there range has been extended a couple of miles and the meter is a little more accurate. If you haven't got a letter about it you might want to contact your local Nissan service to see when you can get your car flashed.
could you elaborate on this software update, when was it available? my car was delivered in april of 13.

apvbguy said:
electricD said:
could you elaborate on this software update, when was it available? my car was delivered in april of 13.

It is the P3227 software update from Nissan for 2011-2012 Leafs. I take it that you have a 2013 and in that case you already have the most resent software. For more info check out this forum link where some people have reported some positive results by having there car flashed.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13273&hilit=June+software+update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given that 2 people here in FL have reported loss of bars I was interested if they had gotten the update and if it made a difference.

electricD said:
apvbguy said:
electricD said:

It is the P3227 software update from Nissan for 2011-2012 Leafs. I take it that you have a 2013 and in that case you already have the most resent software. For more info check out this forum link where some people have reported some positive results by having there car flashed.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=13273&hilit=June+software+update" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Given that 2 people here in FL have reported loss of bars I was interested if they had gotten the update and if it made a difference.

that answered my questions. I didn't know if the fact that I have a 2013 meant I had the latest s/w or if I missed an update
thanks

LTLFTcomposite said:
Braindonor, you're halfway through your lease in time but 2/3 in miles. At this rate you'll be 12000 over, will you just pay the $1800 penalty? In a sense that reduces your buyout price, even more if they try to charge you for more stuff like a door ding or spot on the upholstery. You would still have two more years/12000 miles for the battery warranty to possibly kick in and get a replacement.
Sorry for the delay, I've been away from MNL for a bit. When I got the LEAF I figured the 12K miles/year lease would be plenty since the car it replaced was a 4Runner that we owned and put about 10K miles/year (at a cost of $0.23/mile for gas alone). However, we've been using the LEAF a lot more than anticipated, averaging about 16K miles/year. The car is in very good shape with no dings. The plan was to purchase the car at the end of the lease and not incur the extra mileage penalty. But with the recent drop in prices and with the battery losing capacity at this rate I'm not sure that purchasing is the way to go, even if Nissan replaces the battery under warranty.

We will have a tough decision to make when the lease expires. The $1,800 penalty is actually less than our cost to drive those extra miles with our other car, which also costs $0.23/mile for gasoline only. Putting the extra 12K miles on the other car would have cost $2,760 instead of $360 for the LEAF (at $0.03/mile for electricity), so our net savings are $2,760 - ($1,800 + $360) = $600.

Well, I lost my first capacity bar today (06/28/2013) with 15,642 miles. I got the car on Sunday, April 22, 2012 (Earth Day). The car still gets me where I need to go, and I still love driving it.

mirko said:
Well, I lost my first capacity bar today (06/28/2013) with 15,642 miles. I got the car on Sunday, April 22, 2012 (Earth Day). The car still gets me where I need to go, and I still love driving it.

Just though I'd bring it up again. Did you get the P3227 software update from Nissan for 2011-2012 Leafs?

electricD said:
mirko said:

Just though I'd bring it up again. Did you get the P3227 software update from Nissan for 2011-2012 Leafs?

I did get the P3227 update the week before I lost the capacity bar. I'm not confident that they really installed the update, but there is no way for me to know. I've had problems with the Nissan service department that I took the car to for the update, but that's another story. I have the ELM android app installed, but I didn't notice anything that changed after the update was applied.

Has anyone who lives in SE or SW Florida made a trip between Naples and Miami in their Leaf? Where do you recommend charging?

Its 101 miles from my house to my brother's house via Alligator Alley (or 116 miles via Tamiami Trail); charging is a requirement, but there is a notable lack of EVSE stations along either route. :shock:

With an upgraded EVSE I could use a campground utility drop and there are several campgrounds along Tamiami, but most of them I've seen don't provide electricity.

I'm pretty sure its a non-starter and I'll just have to take an ICE to make this trip, but I thought I'd ask. :(

How about Ochopee campground? Website says they have Electric Hookup. 36 miles from Naples, 72 miles to Miami , drive slow :)
Obviously I'd call and see what their policy would be. You might need 3 hours to top off if you have something older than a 2013.

Back