Fontana Nissan - Quick Charge Available on Sept. 1st and 2nd

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FontanaNissan

Location: Fontana Nissan – 16444 S Highland Avenue, Fontana CA 92336
When: Sept 1st and Sept 2nd
Store Hours: 9 AM to 6 PM

leaf-fn.jpg

Great, I'll be there to try it out!

I thought my first real fast charge would be at the Mitsubishi charger in Cypress last weekend, but it was broken. I had to sit for 4 hours on L2 to make it home.

Very nice! You'll likely see us that weekend. We'll try to take advantage of the opportunity to drive someplace far, and use the QC to enable us to return home without hours of charging. :)

Au contraire. The San Bernardino QC has been hard to count on, and has been limited to a slower rate. Even in the best of times, it's in an iffy neighborhood, and is miles from the freeway. Given the choice, and reasonable pricing, I'd much rather charge at Fontana Nissan. It's freeway close, with free Wifi access and a kids play room.
TomT said:
With the San Bernadino 7-11 QC being so close, I'm not sure it would make a lot of sense for them to do so...

Phoenix said:
Why not make it a permanent DC Fast Charger on-site?

Nissan dealerships would be perfect locations for fast chargers! They are nicely spaced apart, near freeways, and are on our car's charging maps. What a great way to service their EV customers who have patronized them and a great help for the EV movement (by reducing range/charging anxieties).

Kind of like in Europe, huh? :lol:

One of the bigger mistakes Nissan made was not requiring the same thing in the U.S.; QC at every dealer...

GoingGreener said:
Nissan dealerships would be perfect locations for fast chargers! They are nicely spaced apart, near freeways, and are on our car's charging maps. What a great way to service their EV customers who have patronized them and a great help for the EV movement (by reducing range/charging anxieties).

Unfortunately, hard to count on seems to be the mantra of all the QCs in Southern California so far...

abasile said:
Au contraire. The San Bernardino QC has been hard to count on, and has been limited to a slower rate.

TonyWilliams said:
I just got back from my second city council meeting in Fontana to install a DC charger (with a 7-11 store).

We lost. :|

Does that mean the bid for a liquor license at the proposed 7-11 is what lost?

TonyWilliams said:
I just got back from my second city council meeting in Fontana to install a DC charger (with a 7-11 store).
Why on earth would the city council be opposed to a DC charger install ?

Phoenix said:
Why not make it a permanent DC Fast Charger on-site? Down the road, make some money off us LEAFs.

I bought mine from Fontana and wouldn't mind driving for 1hr there for a scheduled service if they had a permanent QC just to show my support. Without QC I won't bother as it is too time consuming.

KJD said:
TonyWilliams said:
Why on earth would the city council be opposed to a DC charger install ?

I wasn't at last night's hearing, looking forward to learning the details from Tony..
But I was at the meeting two weeks ago and it seems the slim majority of the city planning council was against the idea of a 7-11 with an alcohol license (mostly beer) near a local church. The property in question has been shut down with chain link fence around it for a while and is an eyesore.. forget that this new charge site and 7-11 would be a complete redevelopment of the site and bring in new tax revenue to the city as well as EV drivers looking for a QC. At the meeting two weeks ago the council asked the 7-11 rep if it might be possible to limit alcohol sales on Sundays! As if Fontana church goers have less self control than the public at large... either that or they desired big government forcing their ideals on society at large. Either way, the DC quick charger was not enough to sway the council (although they did say for the record that they have nothing against electric cars.)

GregH said:
city planning council was against the idea of a 7-11 with an alcohol license (mostly beer) near a local church. The property in question has been shut down with chain link fence around it for a while and is an eyesore.. forget that this new charge site and 7-11 would be a complete redevelopment of the site and bring in new tax revenue to the city as well as EV drivers looking for a QC.

That's it... It wll be fenced in a year from now, with crack heads selling their wares inside. Maybe a nice meth lab, too.

I would like to thank GregH and TonyWilliams for their advocacy on behalf of that QC near the center of Fontana. I was invited to join in that advocacy, and aside from my schedule being pretty full at the time, I admittedly felt kind of ambivalent about another QC far from the freeway in another iffy neighborhood, and tied to a liquor license to top it off. Yes, it would be much better than no QC, and I'm thankful that the developer wants to promote EV use. I do applaud him and others for trying to do something. But I would find it depressing if that's the only way forward for QCs in this area.

On the other hand, a QC at Fontana Nissan is something I can wholeheartedly say is a great idea! I'd feel good about my wife and kids stopping to charge while I am at work, or being there at 9 PM on a Saturday evening.

Fontana Nissan is actually in a relatively decent location to support all kinds of long LEAF drives, i.e., LA area to Palm Springs, travel over Cajon Pass to the high desert communities, trips up to the San Bernardino Mountains, etc. Personally, on an 80% charge from Fontana Nissan, I can make it home to 6100 feet elevation with a nice, comfortable margin.

And what a great sales tool for Danny and others to be able to take prospective customers on test drives and then demonstrate quick charging! (Drain the battery low enough so that they can see the charge going quickly, though.)

Back