FOX NEWS just said Nissan is moving away from electric cars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhigley

Fox news just said that Nissan is shifting (their word) away from electric cars to hybrids. They said the high cost of the cars and little charging infrastucture is the cause for the move. Has anyone heard this or are they just making this up?

mhigley said:
Fox news just said that Nissan is shifting (their word) away from electric cars to hybrids. They said the high cost of the cars and little charging infrastucture is the cause for the move. Has anyone heard this or are they just making this up?
Fox news making things up? Shocked..

I know but how can they just say something like this? They didn't quote anyone form Nissan or say where they got the information. It was in the "Grapevine" segment about 5 mintues ago.

Well, it has already been said and is known that Nissan is going to move much more aggressively in to hybrids so in that sense I suppose it IS true...

mhigley said:

Believe it or not, FOX News did not mention the price drop for the LEaf to make it more affordable or the 500 new charging stations Nissan announced or that the charging station infrastructure is growing all the time. Maybe they just couldn't fit that into the segment?

To whatever degree it is true/false, I'd suggest that ALL news organizations be looked at with a critical eye.....ALL of them.

mhigley said:
Believe it or not, FOX News did not mention the price drop for the LEaf to make it more affordable or the 500 new charging stations Nissan announced or that the charging station infrastructure is growing all the time.
No way !!! must be an honest mistake/careless omission on Faux News part I'm sure... They are so objective usually, such an omission would lead someone thinking they would have an agenda with special (oil) interests... what a ridiculous thought !

May have started with this reuters article from a couple days ago. I don't believe anything they report either after seeing the distortion in the past couple years.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/04/us-autos-electric-hydrogen-idUSBRE91304Z20130204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Insight: Electric cars head toward another dead end
By Norihiko Shirouzu and Yoko Kubota and Paul Lienert
TOKYO/DETROIT | Mon Feb 4, 2013 1:13am EST

Well of course they are. Didn't you hear? They're teaming up with Daimler and Ford on fuel cell vehicles. They can't do both! :shock: :lol:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If that were true, why would they spend a gazillion $ and all that time and labor on a new battery plant and expand the Smyrna TN plant to make LEAFs in the US?

Just so they can stop making batteries and LEAFs....Yeah, right....

I find it completely plausible that Nissan plans to offer a richer mix of hybrid vehicles in its line, without diminishing their commitment to the LEAF. Doesn't seem like a contradiction to me, but rather a recognition of market realities at this time.

The hybrid models would presumably replace some of their ICE vehicle models. I would welcome this, as I believe plug-in hybrids will be a gateway to pure BEVs for many drivers.

Randy said:
If that were true, why would they spend a gazillion $ and all that time and labor on a new battery plant and expand the Smyrna TN plant to make LEAFs in the US?

I think WE spent most of the gazillion dollars (well, at least $1.4 billion)

It's a version of wagging the dog. They used the technique to attempt to get Romney in the office claiming he was going to get a landslide victory. It looks like they are trying it again - hoping to kill electric cars by claiming they they are dead. It often works (why they do it).

Fox News is just passing along a Reuters report. Reuters is certainly not a "tool of the right". They, along with AP, UPI, CNN, MSNBC, most major newspapers and magazines, the ABC channels and taxpayer supported NPR/PBS all lean left. Fox News slants what is available to them to the right. In other words, they give emphasis on news that serves the right. The rest slant the news to the left. Here is a good example. When the Reverend Wright controversy arose, Fox New covered it extensively. The rest of the media tried to ignore it. PBS on their website, however, decided to laugh it all off saying "many people just don't understand Black Liberation Theology". I don't think anyone has anything to gain by this story of Nissan moving away from electric cars. It is just stupid of Fox to be repeating an uninformed story put out by Rueters.

willk55 said:
I don't think anyone has anything to gain by this story of Nissan moving away from electric cars.
Really? come on, you are smarter than that... Do you really think any EV potential buyer out there would even think twice about such a purchase if they get convinced OEMs are abandonning the EV market ?

It is just stupid of Fox to be repeating an uninformed story put out by Rueters.
they are NOT stupid. Fear tactics work. They know it, and they will use it.

you can tell when we are getting close to a tipping point on an issue by how desperate and outlandish the claims get that Fox makes. My guess is that someone with a whole lot of money in oil is getting very worried... I will never forget that election night when Rove was delusional right down to the end! EV's don't have to take over the planet over night to spell victory for dramatic change, a steady and incremental expansion has taken root, the future for EV's is actually quite bright and that is very worrisome to some!

LakeLeaf said:
Randy said:

I think WE spent most of the gazillion dollars (well, at least $1.4 billion)

"WE" made a loan. Unless you expect Nissan to default, we stand to get our money back, with interest.

Back