free blink charging ends spring 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy said:
Some host businesses will give it away as a promotion or to attract customers, but if their goal is to recover costs, then it will have to be priced higher than $1/hour.
There are a lot of interesting dynamics in charging costs, and I wonder how prices will finally settle out.

The cost of electricity alone is about $0.46/hour. But for quick chargers or large numbers of L2 chargers, demand charges could easily be a hundred times as much. A few public non-profit organizations I've seen are charging something like $2 to $2.50/hour. But for a Volt that's the equivalent of over $5/gallon gasoline, so they'd likely pass up the Blink station in favor of the Arco station. Free or cheap charging should be very popular with PHEV's as well as with BEV's, and they should be very busy. But at some price point (determined by OPEC) public charging makes little sense for a PHEV and stations above that point should have a dramatic drop off in business.

Where parking is not free (i.e. not subsidized) it's usually higher than $2.50/hour, so it seems likely that charging would often be a complementary amenity with paid parking, and sometimes like parking would be free with validation or with retail purchase.

So the most expensive part of a charging business is the demand charges. It costs a huge amount for the first customer of the month and nothing for all other customers, so high volume is crucial to a business. Number two is probably the parking space, and it costs the same while a car is charging, after it's fully charged and just sitting there, or while the space is ICEd. Number three is the EVSE equipment, and it's depreciated over years, so again volume is key. And in last place is the electricity, which is the one part which seems most reasonable to charge money for, from a driver's perspective.

ultimately, i see a charging process like cell service. iow, a variant of Better Place.

you prepay for access at a certain level. say $40 a month for preset amount of charge. if you exceed it, you pay an exorbitant amount like a buck per K, but then again, if copying cell companies, make that $5 per kw.

or you could go prepay for 300-500% over cost purchased in advance in minimal $20 increments or so.

term contracts with early termination fees allows a better rate, etc. you have the option to "port" to Blink if you decide that your current cellular... i mean Charge provider simply does not have a good enough signal... i mean charge location to best fit your needs and so on.

what it boils down to, is the company will need investors to expand and provide the level of service we need. this "parking meter" style of revenue rarely works unless that downtown area is blanketed with them and there is no other place to park...kinda like how parking meters work now...now that i think of it

what companies need is "we have X amount of subscribers on the "lightning" plan at $X per month under a contract and X amount of users last month who accessed our network at the prepay level.

If the card initiates any monthly fee of any kind I will immediately cancel.
If most places charge ANYTHING where I am spending money as a customer I will also cancel.

blink commercial installations are heavily subsidized. Typically, you get the Blink for free and a $2500 payment to cover installation. The costs usually run more than that by about 100%, but if you gang install you get economy of scale, as the highest part of the cost is running the power to the site.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ultimately, i see a charging process like cell service. iow, a variant of Better Place.

you prepay for access at a certain level. say $40 a month for preset amount of charge. if you exceed it, you pay an exorbitant amount like a buck per K, but then again, if copying cell companies, make that $5 per kw. ...
Makes having more than one provider in a geographic area kind of a impossible. I can use both Blink and ChargePoint EVSEs within the range of my LEAF. Am I supposed to subscribe to every company that comes along for $40 bucks each?

davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

you prepay for access at a certain level. say $40 a month for preset amount of charge. if you exceed it, you pay an exorbitant amount like a buck per K, but then again, if copying cell companies, make that $5 per kw. ...
Makes having more than one provider in a geographic area kind of a impossible. I can use both Blink and ChargePoint EVSEs within the range of my LEAF. Am I supposed to subscribe to every company that comes along for $40 bucks each?

you will need to explain this to me.

DaveinOlyWA said:
davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

you will need to explain this to me.
If I have to subscribe for a minimum amount per month (you suggested $40) to access a charging network, I am limited to that company's EVSEs unless I also pony up for the minimum for each the other companies in my region.

all prices mentioned are just scenarios. i would NEVER pay $40 a month for the occasional on the road charging service. my electric bill for the month at home is half that.

but there are people in areas and situations where charging at home is expensive or not possible at all. having an extensive network of L2/L3 chargers i can easily see people being attracted to a possible option of $40 a month to cover what could be more than double that in gas

DaveinOlyWA said:
all prices mentioned are just scenarios. i would NEVER pay $40 a month for the occasional on the road charging service. my electric bill for the month at home is half that.

Wow! I hope you meant your Leaf electric bill! :?:

I would LOVE to be able to drive the Leaf to Las Vegas for a vacation, for instance, but until there is an L3 charging "corridor" on the Interstate 15 route, I am not going to try it.

You might also want Nissan to lift their "1 quick charge per day" requirement for the battery.

thankyouOB said:
blink commercial installations are heavily subsidized. Typically, you get the Blink for free and a $2500 payment to cover installation. The costs usually run more than that by about 100%, but if you gang install you get economy of scale, as the highest part of the cost is running the power to the site.

Good info...The only issue with ganging installs to gain economy of scale and reduce installation costs is that then you have multiple units with the potential of charging at the same time and incurring higher demand charges...There is usually a sweet spot or balance in there that the host needs to figure out...

davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

For me, and I suspect for most current Leaf drivers, it's not often that I'd want to go beyond the Leaf's range, so paying more than $10 a month for access would seem wasteful, though I'd be willing to pay for recharging. Yet someone else could easily depend on a public network for the bulk of their charging, especially if they lived in an apartment or condo with no access to home L2, or had a bad tiered utility rate schedule. Paying less than $50 a month might be unreasonably cheap. It will be tricky to get the starting price, prepaid levels, and extra minute fees right.

Also, as Evgo in Houston realized from the outset, they can't really start charging money to access the recharging network until there is a viable recharging network. That would mean ten to fifty times as many public L2 chargers as now exist, plus all the QC stations originally planned. (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2454815620495&set=o.300101583340346&type=1&theater) It's hard to see all of the public companies getting there even if they all cooperated with some sort of revenue sharing arrangement across all their networks. I can't imagine how Blink, Chargepoint, evGo, and a few other companies might all simultaneously build redundant recharging networks in every region.

I don't see any of the networks charging a monthly rate for remote charging access. If that happens, all EV owners will retreat back to their garage EVSE. It's more likely to end up like ChargePoint has already started - you have an account and you put in what you think you will need....$20, $30, $40...whatever. I seem to get the feeling from what Blink announces, that they will go this direction too.

Besides, as the years go by and battery technology improves, remote charging will be less and less useful. If I could get 200 - 300 miles from a charge, why would I charge anywhere other than Homebase unless on a long trip?

As far as redundant networks - heck yes they will do it....it's the American way. That's why I have 6 drug stores all within a couple miles from each other to choose from in my little town. Besides, Blink and ChargePoint both already have substantial networks (relatively speaking) here in Puget Sound. ChargePoint seems to be ahead, but Blink just took a bunch online the past few weeks - the race is on!!!

walterbays said:
davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

For me, and I suspect for most current Leaf drivers, it's not often that I'd want to go beyond the Leaf's range, so paying more than $10 a month for access would seem wasteful, though I'd be willing to pay for recharging. Yet someone else could easily depend on a public network for the bulk of their charging, especially if they lived in an apartment or condo with no access to home L2, or had a bad tiered utility rate schedule. Paying less than $50 a month might be unreasonably cheap. It will be tricky to get the starting price, prepaid levels, and extra minute fees right.

Also, as Evgo in Houston realized from the outset, they can't really start charging money to access the recharging network until there is a viable recharging network. That would mean ten to fifty times as many public L2 chargers as now exist, plus all the QC stations originally planned. (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2454815620495&set=o.300101583340346&type=1&theater) It's hard to see all of the public companies getting there even if they all cooperated with some sort of revenue sharing arrangement across all their networks. I can't imagine how Blink, Chargepoint, evGo, and a few other companies might all simultaneously build redundant recharging networks in every region.

smkettner said:
If most places charge ANYTHING where I am spending money as a customer I will also cancel.

So, some places can charge, but most can't?

How do you handle your petroleum purchases, if any? If we all adopted your method to gas, EVs would be HUGE!!!!

The deployment of our commercial infrastructure is now well under way, and with every smart charger installed, we learn more about your charging needs, habits and behaviors.

The Blink Network enables you to choose where and when to charge. Blink’s robust network of chargers makes plugging in your EV away from home convenient and easy, with access to your favorite businesses.

We will soon be announcing a wide spectrum of services and support as we expand this network. At this time, we are introducing our new Membership program. By becoming a Blink Network member, you will have the opportunity to charge at special rates and take advantage of exclusive benefits.

Why Pay for Charging?

We introduced free charging in part to encourage EV drivers to explore our growing charging network. We've been taking the valuable data you've contributed as an EV Project participant, and are applying those lessons to the future of our business so that EV chargers can become a regular sight -- no longer a novelty.

As we begin to introduce membership plans and pricing, our goal is to establish a business which can sustain itself so that our EV infrastructure can continue to grow and support EV drivers such as yourself. In doing so, we hope to attract even more business owners who are passionate about this new infrastructure, so you have expanded options when charging up on the go.  

With all this in mind, we are beginning to transition our drivers toward our Membership program.

Membership Plans

Charging at our Blink stations will still be free until Spring of 2012, but we're offering everyone a chance to take a look and decide on a plan now. Our memberships will be offered as three plans to fit the many different needs of all our EV drivers. Whether you drive 5 miles a week or 500, we’ve got a membership plan that’s right for you.

As a Blink member you are instantly given the freedom to use any Blink charger within the nationwide Blink Network, as well as stay on top of current intelligence on your latest EV charges, savings, and environmental impact. From the Blink Mobile app and web portal, you can also map your way to the closest Blink charging stations.

The best part? Signing up for a Blink membership is as easy as plugging in your EV.
Blink Plus 
If you frequently charge your EV, utilize multiple charger locations, or don’t have a home charger, then this is the plan for you! The Blink Plus plan offers the lowest charging fees available, with up to 50% savings for frequent charging. With an annual membership fee, waived for the first year for early subscribers, you get pay-as-you-charge convenience with your Blink InCard.

Blink Basic 
Experience big savings for regular charging use. With no annual or monthly fees, you can enjoy savings at Blink chargers just by registering your credit card on your Blink Network account. Simply pay as you go when you use your Blink InCard.

Blink Guest 
As a Blink Guest, you’re invited to drop by our Blink chargers anytime, with no annual membership fees or minimum card balance. Enjoy the freedom of paying as you charge through our mobile payment system.
Please visit our new Memberships page on the Blink website for more information.

will prices for various memberships be different from area to area? i am guessing a market adjustment would be required in some areas

TonyWilliams said:
smkettner said:

So, some places can charge, but most can't?

How do you handle your petroleum purchases, if any? If we all adopted your method to gas, EVs would be HUGE!!!!

A gasoline station makes no other money from me. So if I get 20 gallons in my truck and the station makes 20 cents per gallon he makes $4 and I can go 300 miles. These stations require huge start up, maintenance, regulatory and operational costs.

If I go into a store and spend $50 they easily make $5. In 30 minutes charging I get 6 or 7 miles range not 300 miles. If it costs even $1 I would be surprised. The total profit is still $4 probably a lot more. Retailers are constantly spending huge money to get us in the store so what is wrong with free electric to do same? If I was driving away with 300 miles additional range I would certainly expect to pay.

You can also see the retail marketing at gas stations where you save 20 cents per gallon if you buy a car wash. When I go to a reatailer I am already buying the product.

People already drive out of their way to save 4 cents a gallon or just 1 % of the price. Why suddenly electricity is accepted at such a mark up I have no idea. $1 per hour, $2 per hour is thrown around like it is all the same. Can you imagine $3 gas vs $6 gas on the same corner?

Back