Frequent Brake Fluid Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
Personally I make a lot of trips of less than 5 miles. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many owners encounter at least one of those conditions.
That looks like a hold-over from the ICE days where < 5 mi trips don't allow sufficient time for engine oil to warm up which leads to excess water accumulating in the engine oil.

I can't think of a single reason why short trips would dictate "severe duty" conditions in an EV. Certainly isn't going to affect brake fluid life.

And why would slow driving speeds going long distances affect the fluid? I rarely use my brakes when driving the city streets while going longer distances. 'Long' is a relative term. I wonder what Nissan considers 'long distances'.

Best thing you can do to preserve your precious fluids is to drive like you had no brakes, also extends your range into Stoaty territory. Its a different mindset.

planet4ever said:
ttweed said:
The 15,000 mile (1 year) recommendation by Nissan is only for "severe duty" conditions, which I don't think many Leafs will experience.
Really? I would think quite the opposite. From the Service and Maintenance Guide:
SCHEDULE 1 (more severe operating conditions)
Use Schedule 1 if you primarily operate your electric vehicle under any of these conditions:
  • Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
  • Stop-and-go traffic in hot weather or low speed driving for long distances
  • Driving in dusty conditions or on rough, muddy, or salt-spread roads
  • Using a car-top carrier
Personally I make a lot of trips of less than 5 miles. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many owners encounter at least one of those conditions.

Ray

I can understand why short trips are bad for an ICE vehicle. Not sure I understand why short trips would tax an EV. The mileage quoted by the EPA is 'upside down' compared to an ICE vehicle, IE you get better mileage around town than on the highway. If anything I'd expect EV's to thrive on short journeys. Battery pack doesn't discharge much and get hot as a result. Mystifys me why short trips would be considered severe for an EV.

Herm said:
Best thing you can do to preserve your precious fluids is to drive like you had no brakes, also extends your range into Stoaty territory.
Hey, I resemble that remark. :)

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids." --Dr. Strangelove

drees said:
planet4ever said:
Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in normal temperatures or less than 10 miles in freezing temperatures
That looks like a hold-over from the ICE days where < 5 mi trips don't allow sufficient time for engine oil to warm up which leads to excess water accumulating in the engine oil.

I can't think of a single reason why short trips would dictate "severe duty" conditions in an EV. Certainly isn't going to affect brake fluid life.
+1. The technical writers for the Leaf manual lifted the Schedule 1 and 2 language directly from the Nissan ICE car manuals, and IMHO, they don't apply to an EV, despite the fact that they inserted "electric vehicle" into the language. Look at the "dusty road driving" spec, too--that definitely applies to an ICE engine where intake air filters can become clogged and oil needs more frequent changing due to ingesting more particulates, but how does it apply to EVs? Same with stop and go driving or car carriers--they can cause engine oil to overheat and break down sooner, but other than killing range, what kind of service interval would need to be increased for the Leaf because of it? OK, maybe driving on salted roads would have the same deleterious effect on body parts and might require more frequent inspections, but the rest? I don't think so.

All Nissan did was take the ICE language and double the interval, which is their tacit admission that the EV is not as vulnerable to these conditions as an ICE. They also deleted the reference to towing, which is prohibited with the Leaf, otherwise they are identical. Here is the same page from the Versa manual:

2011_N_SMG9.jpg

TT

Stoaty said:
Herm said:
Best thing you can do to preserve your precious fluids is to drive like you had no brakes, also extends your range into Stoaty territory.
Hey, I resemble that remark. :)

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids." --Dr. Strangelove

Stoaty: YOU DA MAN!! :lol: :lol:

ttweed said:
All Nissan did was take the ICE language and double the interval, which is their tacit admission that the EV is not as vulnerable to these conditions as an ICE. They also deleted the reference to towing, which is prohibited with the Leaf, otherwise they are identical. Here is the same page from the Versa manual:

TT

Oh Brother. They spend billions developing a truly remarkable and revolutionary car, which we are all thankful for, then they do this. It's almost as if they don't understand the fundamentally different operating characteristics of an EV over an ICE. I suppose there are still plenty of 'petrol heads' at Nissan.

Sounds like schedule 2 should do me just fine. Short trips happen at weekends for me, I travel 15 miles each way to work.

Stoaty said:
Actually, I think General Jack T. Ripper said that, though I know you are referring to the movie.

91040 said:
Stoaty said:
Actually, I think General Jack T. Ripper said that, though I know you are referring to the movie.
Thanks for the added info. I just posted the movie title, as I figured that would have the best name recognition.

Back