Frustrated- pre heat 2013 S (not SV or SL)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gillum said:
stjohnh said:
My usual, which works, is set charge timer to 7AM, Climate timer to 6:50AM. This will charge car and shut off the pre-heat at 6:50 (the manual is NOT correct on pg 4-12 which says the climate control timer sets the start time, it actually sets the end time).
Why does it work this way?

If I generally leave the house at 8am, wouldn't I want to set the climate timer to 7:15am (say) to have the car warm when I leave?

That requires the timer to turn the climate system on.

Isn't that a reasonable usage?

What do I do to pre-warm a charging car with the 2013 S as it actually works (timer turns off climate system)?

Based on testing with my 2013 S today, have the car already charging, then Power on and change the Climate Ctrl Timer(Off) to something less than 30 minutes from now. When you power off, the heat will turn on (for your own testing). If you want your car ready at 8am, set it for 8am. It will pre-heat from 7:30am-8:00am. The Leaf S appears to be pre-set to start 30 minutes before the "To" time.

Works for me too! When going to preheat, if the vehicle is not still charging (set to stop at 80%), I push the charge time override button (no charge timer is set nor climate control timer), and the charge lights come on. If it push the power button twice and set the heat where I want it, it actually does more than blow cold air around. It heats up even! =) Thanks much all!

Protip: set the system to recirculate air while the car has no people in it. You should get minimal fog on the windows without all those moist people around and the car will heat up (or cool down) MUCH faster and use MUCH MUCH less energy to get there and maintain. Of course, you then need to set it to use outside air when you get in, so the windows don't fog up. Your mileage may vary.

Today, I went out after only a few minutes of this trick and found the heat light was off on the dash. I'm sure it was on when I left the car, and it was certainly warmer than ambient temp, so... did it turn off the heat for some reason? We'll see what happens next time.

I hope that Nissan changes this - it should be simple and intuitive. We should just be able to turn on the heat while the car is plugged into the EVSE - and get a preheat.

To have to do back handsprings in order to get it to preheat is quite frustrating.

Nilgiri said:
Today, I went out after only a few minutes of this trick and found the heat light was off on the dash. I'm sure it was on when I left the car, and it was certainly warmer than ambient temp, so... did it turn off the heat for some reason? We'll see what happens next time.

Mystery solved: the heat light turns off when I unplug it. It stays on until it is unplugged as far as I have tested.

Back