Gear oil plug

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't tell from the picture if that was just globs of old gear oil. Chunks of metal would be a bad thing. Do you hear any unusual sounds from the gear box? Do you feel any weird "grabs" or "releases" while driving under power at a steady and slow rate?

I couldn't tell from the picture if that was just globs of old gear oil. Chunks of metal would be a bad thing. Do you hear any unusual sounds from the gear box? Do you feel any weird "grabs" or "releases" while driving under power at a steady and slow rate?
Clunking intermittently when turning the gear oil wasn’t red but black silver looking

Yes grabs and releases definitely
Well, you know where those chunks of metal came from then, damaged gear teeth. 😵‍💫
Can't say as to the cause, but unless you cleaned up that plug before taking a picture? Did about 1.5 L of gear oil come out when you removed the plug?

Well, you know where those chunks of metal came from then, damaged gear teeth. 😵‍💫
Can't say as to the cause, but unless you cleaned up that plug before taking a picture? Did about 1.5 L of gear oil come out when you removed the plug?
Yes oil the oil was drained

Unless you are driving like the Fast and Furious movies, it's possible that a lot of things could have happened but it would be hard to pin down. Wrong gear oil, no gear oil, contaminant in the oil (water, dirt, etc.), manufacturing flaw in the gears itself, vehicle accident, etc.

Unless you are driving like the Fast and Furious movies, it's possible that a lot of things could have happened but it would be hard to pin down. Wrong gear oil, no gear oil, contaminant in the oil (water, dirt, etc.), manufacturing flaw in the gears itself, vehicle accident, etc.
The van is a ex cat d repaired

Will a leaf gearbox 2021 fit a 2016 env200 van
Sort of, kinda, maybe.

As far as I know, the LEAF and e-NV200 gearboxes fit the same motor, drive shaft connections and the fixings for the casing. There is one significant difference, though. The van has lower gearing than the car, by 10% or 15% or so (I don't remember the exact ratios). That gives the heavier van a bit more drive force, at the expense of a lower top speed, compared with the car.

Supposing they do fit -- this isn't something I've ever tried -- a LEAF reduction gear in an e-NV200 would restrict the maximum hill-climbing gradient and reduce the acceleration. An e-NV200 reduction gear in a LEAF would improve acceleration but limit the top speed to 85 mph or so. I've no idea whether the EV control software would object that the motor speed didn't match the road speed if the reduction ratio wasn't what it was set up for.

The reduction gear isn't nearly as complex as a multi-speed gearbox, and it should be possible to rebuild it at a realistic labour/labor cost.

What do people think to this
I've been doing oil changes in various engines for over 50 years and have never seen anything that bad. I replaced the reduction gear oil with synthetic in my 2015 leaf at 50,000 miles and there was just a thin film of particulate on the plug magnet. It's a miracle that your gearbox hasn't seized up. It must be that the gearbox vent somehow sucked in some water. The only other things I can think of would be sabotage or a grossly defective gear.

Back