General PSA: Isolation faults in 40kWh packs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

In short, we've been seeing this many times over the years, and we have a theory on what the root cause is of isolation faults in 40kWh packs. It's this:

IMG_20240424_123914_187.jpg

What you're seeing here is a 40kWh battery module, shell off. All of the cells except for the 4th from the right look fine, and the 4th from the right has a rupture in the seal, with 'gunk' behind it. It's also very slowly leaking electrolyte.

Every single isolation fault we've seen in 40kWh packs except one (water ingress) has been because of a cell doing this. It's mostly in older cars, but we've seen it with cars with as little as 80 000km on the clock (about 50k miles). Since it's practically impossible to replace individual cells, we have to replace half-modules (which solves the issue).

At first we thought this was because of the metal shells around the modules deforming as the packs expand due to aging, and then rubbing or cutting into the cells - but that's not true. It's the cells themselves. There has to be some manufacturing defect or degradation mode that causes cells to develop these blisters and eventually rupturing.

Good catch and thanks for reporting this. Is a blister forming on the first cell on the left also?

Thanks! Here is a pic of the failed cell from my blue 2013 as it was when I opened the pack. If you zoom in on the image, you can clearly see the seal is not straight like the adjacent ones. Although this did not cause an isolation fault, this cell had lost about half its capacity, and caused a >500 mv difference between cell in the pack, and the LBC would not allow the car to start. Last time I checked this cell, it has swollen to about 3 X normal size.

PXL-20230529-214846298-Copy.jpg

This is very valuable info and at the same time it's scary to see, because in this case I can almost smell the fire. At least a severe risk. I found this in one car:

20240314_170303.jpg20240314_170257.jpg

Didn't care to find which one leaked since it had to be replaced as a whole.

I don't have enough data to say anything certain, but it looks like there isn't much difference other then energy density.

Back