Getting Leaf in morning, Q's and range anxiety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wufnu

Hi all!

Going to get a Leaf in the morning. What should I look for during my inspection before signing the paperwork? I know there are some common problems but not sure if I know them all. Not sure what to look for to make sure I don't take home a hassle.

Also, I have a 50 mile stretch during my journey home. I know from my R/C days that lithium batteries fresh from the factory would often need to be cycled a few times before realizing their peak potential. Is the LEAF the same way? I.e. will my range, during the first few drives, be less than average? Should I be concerned about driving 50 miles on the first day?

Thanks!

Assuming new, 50 miles is easy. They should have it fully charged. Look for the manufacture date to see if it has been on the lot all summer. I would get the newest one they have.

Wufnu said:
Hi all!

Going to get a Leaf in the morning. What should I look for during my inspection before signing the paperwork? I know there are some common problems but not sure if I know them all. Not sure what to look for to make sure I don't take home a hassle.

Also, I have a 50 mile stretch during my journey home. I know from my R/C days that lithium batteries fresh from the factory would often need to be cycled a few times before realizing their peak potential. Is the LEAF the same way? I.e. will my range, during the first few drives, be less than average? Should I be concerned about driving 50 miles on the first day?

Thanks!

50 miles is easy peasy on a new Leaf.

You should look to make sure the windshield and all glass is on centered in its opening. There have been a few reports of it being offset. While not a problem with leaks or anything, it just looks weird.

Then check the alignment of the hood vs. the charge door vs. the fenders. Those guys in Tennessee obviously don't know how to align things properly.

Check that all the interior plastic trim on the dash is flat. That is, none of the plastic covers have popped up because someone forgot a plastic weld somewhere.

Check to make sure the EVSE is in the little bag in the back. Sometimes dealers steal from one for another, so make sure yours has it.

Make sure the rear hatch closes securely without having to slam it.

Make sure you have the SD card for the nav. It is NOT as simple as just going to WalMart and buying one.

If you are getting one with Carwings, make sure the dealer activates it for you. Then just standard new car stuff. Don't leave without 2 full smart keys, the owners manual in the glovebox, that sort of thing.

Enjoy the new car!

You might also want to ask them to inflate the tires to 38 - 42psi (cold). The Ecopias that come with the car do better at the higher pressures, and the dealerships tend to inflate to what's on the door plate, which is something like 35psi. That's fine for most cars and tires, but not good with the Ecopias on the heavy little Leaf.

You might also want to check the accessory battery voltage, with the car off. It should be well above 12.5 volts. If it isn't, ask them to charge it for 20 minutes or so.

Thanks for the tips! I've got them all written down and I'll check again via phone once I get there. I appreciate your help!

Take it for a short test drive.
Test the heat and AC, make sure no fluids are dripping down near your feet in the cabin.

You'll make 50 miles on a full charge, even on the highway at 70, but try not to freak out when the GOM plummits.

Made it home safe and sound! Had to travel to another dealer over an hour away from the first dealer (which was already 1.5 hours from my home)! The folks I was speaking with said they'd secured a car from another dealer (I wanted red, which they didn't have), I told them when I'd be in, and the sales person said she looked forward to seeing me. I arrived this morning and the car wasn't there but they sure wanted me to sign the contract. Not going to happen.

Only had to stop to charge at one dealer on the way (in Newnan, great dealership; hot dogs! theater!) and quick charge is just the bee's knees. I went from Autonation in Lithia Springs to the one in Newnan (~50 miles) and went from 83 to 53 on the GoM. Then I went from Newnan to the house (70 miles) and went from 101 to 42 miles on the GoM. Nice!

KQAlcJY.jpg

Congratulations! I think you will be very happy with this car. I've had mine (red like yours) since June 2011, and have been very pleased. My range has degraded about 15%; but it's still an outstanding "local commuter" vehicle.

I just went to my monthly TRW Amateur radio swap meet. At 39 miles both directions I had 4 bars left when I got home. I used the cruise control set to 58(More like 56) both ways. I had 3 bars when I got home. Using the cruise control really helps with extending range since without it I can not drive at 55 without help. I find I can let everyone pass me without anger . I could not drive so slow myself.

I find that so what if all the trucks pass me. At least I will get to my destination and back. When I do not need extend my range I treat the mileage like a ISO car. It is funny that unlike an ICE car the slower the better. I guess need to age a few more years to be happy.

DanCar said:
Wufnu said:
... Then I went from Newnan to the house (70 miles) and went from 101 to 42 miles on the GoM. Nice! ...
What was your average speed?

On that leg, probably about 55. I drove 50 in the 45 areas, 60 in the 55. Either Google maps is wrong or my odometer is off. I had 59 miles on the car when I left Nissan of Newnan and 119 when I arrived at my home in Pine Mountain. I said 70 but it was 60 miles; Google maps says it's 52 miles. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

I wasn't sure what to do about cruise control. Whenever I hit cruise control, my "tree building gauge" took a fairly big hit. I don't know if that's a disincentive to use cruise control or whether it actually reduces your range.

From Marietta to Newnan, I drove around 65-70. I left with 83 miles and arrived with 53 miles on the GoM. I drove 40 miles.

I'm curious whether the GoM is programmed to be like fuel gauge in most cars: barely moves in top half, falls like a rock in bottom half.

I'm curious whether the GoM is programmed to be like fuel gauge in most cars: barely moves in top half, falls like a rock in bottom half.

Neither is the case. It's programmed to estimate range based on recent driving history, so it's usually way off at the start (thus its nickname) and gets closer to accurate near the end of the average trip.

Wufnu said:
I wasn't sure what to do about cruise control. Whenever I hit cruise control, my "tree building gauge" took a fairly big hit. I don't know if that's a disincentive to use cruise control or whether it actually reduces your range.
The tree gauge is not a very good indicator of driving efficiency. It does lots of stupid things.
For most cruise control on interstate is pretty efficient.
Depending on terrain some can beat it with moderate hypermile techniques.
Particularly if you have the right long downgrade coasting in Neutral helps a lot.

Congratulations on the new LEAF!

Consider getting LEAF Spy Pro on Android phone with WIFI ELM327 adapter. Best most helpful LEAF add on. Once you get it you would never be without it.

Nice! It looks just like my '13. I have 18k miles on mine with no battery degradation at all.

I was going to get Leaf Spy but it's not available for iPhone :( Even the apps they do have aren't compatible with my OS (I have a 4S, refuse to upgrade my phone's OS again because I've seen how slow it makes it).

That's too bad. I already have the wifi ELM which I use on my other cars.

Wufnu said:
I was going to get Leaf Spy but it's not available for iPhone :( Even the apps they do have aren't compatible with my OS (I have a 4S, refuse to upgrade my phone's OS again because I've seen how slow it makes it).

Android phone Kyocera Event is about $25 from Walmart or Amazon. No monthly fee if you don't activate it. Works perecrly with Bluetooth OBDII adapter ($10) for LeafSpy app.

Oops. Just checked. Phone price has gone up. Actually about $30.

Wufnu said:

LeafStat is available for iPhone and works with a wifi obdii adapter. It has less function that leafspy pro but covers the essentials. Let me know if you find some essential missing function.

Back