GID Meter and Cooler Weather

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamchemist

Would someone please explain to me what change should be seen on a GID Meter during cool weather? Will a fully charged cool battery (say 50 degrees F) hold fewer GID's than a warm battery? I typically look at the %GID value and assume about 1 mile per %. So, if a cool battery holds fewer GID's, then the meter becomes self-correcting.

iamchemist said:
Would someone please explain to me what change should be seen on a GID Meter during cool weather? Will a fully charged cool battery (say 50 degrees F) hold fewer GID's than a warm battery? I typically look at the %GID value and assume about 1 mile per %. So, if a cool battery holds fewer GID's, then the meter becomes self-correcting.

To my knowledge, that's correct. Fewer GIDs in colder weather. It'll still be a %, but I think the amount of energy those percentages mean are smaller.

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense to me that the battery would hold fewer GID's in cool weather. But are you also saying that the effective value of each GID changes in terms of the battery SOC? I wouldn't have expected that.

Sorry if I mis-spoke. I believe each GID to be the same energy value in all temperatures, so yes the loss of range is reflected by fewe GIDS, but each GID will have the same energy as it did. This is directed at (Will a fully charged cool battery (say 50 degrees F) hold fewer GID's than a warm battery?)

What I was trying to say was % GIDS will vary in usefulness for different temperatures. This is directed at ( %GID value and assume about 1 mile per %. So, if a cool battery holds fewer GID's, then the meter becomes self-correcting.)

Back