GOM is same as ICE guesstimate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padamson1

I've always maintained the GOM isn't any worse than an ICE and today I validated that. I was a putting gas in my son's Audi and decided to only put $10 in it. When I started the car it read 85mi range which seemed realistic given the car gets around 26mpg, my house is uphill about 3mi away, when I reached the house the range was down to 47mi.

I drove the LEAF (with an 80% charge) down to the gas station, the GOM range was 82mi, turned around and went back home. The range when I got back to the house the GOM was down to 52mi. So basically the same.

We all know the GOM is an estimate based on how you're currently driving, the Audi range estimate is using very similar logic with the same large fluctuations that the LEAF has. My theory is as to why nobody freaks out about the GOM in an ICE is they always have more range to start with and are usually in the flat lands (where it doesn't change wildly) when they are low on gas.

I've often maintained that this is true. The main difference, IMHO, is that with only a "3 gallon tank" instead of a more typical 12, any fluctuations are "magnified" by 400%. Nice to see some validation of this theory.

Back