Goodbye Nissan Leaf, hello Kia Soul EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nerys said:
If these batteries actually lose 6% a year under good conditions they are unsustainable without at least a 200 mile range.

I find such degredation hard to believe. Astonishing in fact.

Wow. I just chummed some numbers

6% per year would have you at 73% in 5 years. Holy crap. Now we know where their 5 years 60k came from and why they wont warranty it for 8 years. 61%

Ouch

So after 2 years 88% my car is 2 years old. Battery is at 88%. Double ouch.

I had thought it degraded that much because of how little the PO drove the car (4800 miles)

Now it seems that might be SOP? Ouch

Now i reallt have no idea what to expect as i put 30 or 40k on this car a year.

I guess we will find out ehh :)
I think you now understand the rest of the story :cry:

But the LEAF does what it does.
It is just unfortunate that so many thought it would do so much more.
The OP started off with an unworkable range requirement of 84 miles round trip for the LEAF.
It would not do that well on day one.

The Kia will do it on day one.
And with TMS its capacity degradation MIGHT be slower.
But they all experience capacity degradation based on time at some rate.

It is just how well did they tweak the battery chemistry to minimize that.
Time will tell.

We are all still early adopter testers.
Even those that could afford a Tesla S.
But there is a lot more room for error when you start with a true brand new 200 mile range.

nerys said:
If these batteries actually lose 6% a year under good conditions they are unsustainable without at least a 200 mile range.

I find such degredation hard to believe. Astonishing in fact.

Wow. I just chummed some numbers

6% per year would have you at 73% in 5 years. Holy crap. Now we know where their 5 years 60k came from and why they wont warranty it for 8 years. 61%

Ouch

So after 2 years 88% my car is 2 years old. Battery is at 88%. Double ouch.

I had thought it degraded that much because of how little the PO drove the car (4800 miles)

Now it seems that might be SOP? Ouch

Now i reallt have no idea what to expect as i put 30 or 40k on this car a year.

I guess we will find out ehh :)

You most likely have owned a laptop/laptops over the years and other electronic equipment that uses
batteries, right? So you must have some insight into what happens as the batteries are used and age
over time. Obviously, some battery chemistry is better than others, but batteries have a declining
life span and that's reality.

Wow... Compliance status confirmed:

http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-exclusive-rollout-information-live-images-from-2014-la-auto-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Call it what you will, but it is still a great effort and trumps the Leaf in many areas...

pkulak said:
Wow... Compliance status confirmed: http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-exclusive-rollout-information-live-images-from-2014-la-auto-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes i expect it to degrage. No i do not expect it to degrade that rapidly.

Sure my laptop battery degrades but that is not a valid comparison. My laptop just like my ice has extensive reserve capacity.

I could lose half my laptop battery capacity and still be very functional

30% of my leaf battery turns it into a two season car.

Big difference.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Can I buy a car in CA but register it in Illinois?

Yes. It is only the other way (into ca) that is an issue though even that should be no issue for an ev.

TomT said:
Call it what you will, but it is still a great effort and trumps the Leaf in many areas...

pkulak said:
Wow... Compliance status confirmed: http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-exclusive-rollout-information-live-images-from-2014-la-auto-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did call it what it is, and made no mention about it's quality compared to the Leaf. Except for the multiple times in this thread that I've mentioned the ways it's better than the Leaf...

pkulak said:

http://insideevs.com/kia-soul-ev-exclusive-rollout-information-live-images-from-2014-la-auto-show/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can cross the Soul off my list; at least for a purchase anyway. I would never buy a compliance EV.

nerys said:
For my personal set of circumstances the volt is quite literally one of the most expensive options available.

10 year Real cost is roughly $98,000 NOT counting repairs after the warranty expires 3 years in (100,000 miles) and not counting the 2 very expensive batteries would have to buy in that 10 year span. It is as expensive as a tesla over a 10 year span.

I could buy 3 new leafs 1 every 3 years for that much cash and still have money left over.

The volt is quite literally a non starter. It is not even an option in the equation.

The prius is not far behind it at $78,000 over 10 years

The leaf is $42,000 including 2 batteries plus any maintenance it will need after 3 years.

It is not even a vaguely close comparison.

Hell. When you include maintenance the leaf is comparable in ownership cost to a freaking geo metro. A used one. Which would require $36,000 in fuel alone in that 10 year span.

So yeah. I am willing to goto great lengths to surpass its limitations and make it work for my commute needs.
There are a ton of misconceptions in your calcs, but I'm just going to cover the one concerning the Volt. How on earth do you figure that you're going to need to buy 2 replacement batteries for the Volt in 10 years? So far, unless things have changed recently (I only read gm-volt.com occasionally) no one has noticed any degradation from a Volt battery in four years. That's not saying there isn't any, as there undoubtedly is. But GM took the very conservative and IMO very wise step of withholding a lot of capacity from use initially, using it to replace capacity lost as the battery degrades. For example, the 2011 Volt had 10.3 kWh usable out of 16.5 kWh total (about 62.4%) [Edit: I think I goofed, and that should be 16.0 kWh total (64.4% usable) for the 2011-2012 Volts. IIRR it went up to 10.8/16.5/65.5% with the 2013), and then 17.1 kWh total for the 2014 or maybe 2015 MY], where a car like the LEAF allows a much larger % of the total capacity to be used from the start. Then the Volt gradually allows a greater % of the total capacity to be used as the total capacity degrades, keeping 10.3 kWh usable. Thus, to the customer there is no detectable degradation for years. That means that the battery pack is larger, heavier and more expensive than it could be if the car allowed more of the pack to be used from the start, but as far as the customer is concerned its performance remains the same.

GM took two other steps that make its battery far longer lasting than a LEAF's, despite using the same basic, heat-sensitive chemistry. First, they limited the usable SoC range to about the middle 65% instead of including either the top or bottom end of the range, so that the battery could be neither over or under-discharged by the customer. It's been established that Li-ion batteries last longest when they are kept in this middle range instead of at very low or very high SoC.

Second, they gave the car an active, liquid-cooled and heated Thermal Management System (TMS) and insulated the battery pack, so whenever the car is in use or plugged in, the TMS keeps the battery from permanent rapid degradation due to high temps, and also from temporary cold temperature capacity loss. The insulation and large thermal mass of the pack means that its temp changes fairly slowly, so it takes a long time for the pack to gain or lose enough temperature for the TMS to kick in. The LEAF, virtually alone among first gen BEVs, lacks any kind of battery TMS, active or passive, air or liquid-cooled, and that's why it has suffered such rapid degradation anywhere except a cool, temperate climate like the Pacific Northwest, where it never gets too hot or too cold.

And , of course, once the Volt does show some degradation, it just means that you use more gas than you used to but can still make your trip with no worries.

"Sure my laptop battery degrades but that is not a valid comparison. My laptop just like my ice has extensive reserve capacity."

Yes it is a valid comparison, i.e. laptop 'run' time decreases as the battery degrades.
When the laptop was new you might get 5-6 hrs, and after a few years the laptop
may only provide 2-3 hrs of 'run' time before charging. That's the exact situation
one might expect from any battery powered electronic device including the Leaf.

asimba2 said:
pkulak said:

I can cross the Soul off my list; at least for a purchase anyway. I would never buy a compliance EV.

Damn. I would definitely have seriously considered the Soul EV for my next purchase.

You know, living in Colorado I tend to get a bit annoyed when I read someone on insideevs or greencarreports or plugincars write that "there are now 20 (or whatever) EVs available in the US". While technically correct, in that California is a part of the US, it's not true for the majority of the country.

This is where I really have to give Nissan huge amounts of credit - almost enough to forgive them for the ongoing obfuscation about the first and second generation batteries. From the beginning they rolled out the LEAF everywhere to every dealer. Yes, at first in 2011 I wondered if they'd ever get to Colorado, and I was disappointed when the second set of states didn't include us, but there they were in Broomfield in September 2011 demoing the LEAF - all along they were serious.

I have to give similar credit to GM with the Volt. Yes, I understand that not all dealers embrace the LEAF or the Volt - but they were everywhere. By contrast no other manufacturer (except that very special case Tesla) has done the same. Ford has come closest, with 900 certified plug-in dealers. But after an initial push for the FFE in early 2012 it's almost like the car has dropped off the face of the earth. You'll have a better chance of finding a used RAV4 EV here than an FFE. An Energi plug-in, yes, but not a Focus Electric. Once those early lemon law claims started pouring in Ford acted like they wanted no part of the market.

No it is not a valid comparison.

Even after 10 years i would still have a usable laptop.

After 10 years the leaf will not be a usable car. A not usable $30,000 gadget.

For many after 5 or 6 years it will no longer function well enough to use normally.

That makes your comparison extremely invalid.

There is one more huge issues that invalidates such a comparison. A laptop can and in fact the vast majority of the time does work tethered. The leaf can not work tethered.

A cell phone might seem like a more valid comparison. It is not

A cell phone battery is $8 shipped. To your door. Even if you buy it from the dealer its $50 tops

Not quite the same as a $6000 battery.

Not even close.

nerys said:
No it is not a valid comparison.

Even after 10 years i would still have a usable laptop.

After 10 years the leaf will not be a usable car. A not usable $30,000 gadget.

For many after 5 or 6 years it will no longer function well enough to use normally.

That makes your comparison extremely invalid.

There is one more huge issues that invalidates such a comparison. A laptop can and in fact the vast majority of the time does work tethered. The leaf can not work tethered.

A cell phone might seem like a more valid comparison. It is not

A cell phone battery is $8 shipped. To your door. Even if you buy it from the dealer its $50 tops

Not quite the same as a $6000 battery.

Not even close.

Whatever!

nerys said:
GOT to find a good anti fog solution so I can use the propane heater. so far spit works well but I have to apply it DAILY. it wears off that fast. need a better solution.

Are you seriously trying to run a propane heater inside your Leaf?

cgaydos said:
Damn. I would definitely have seriously considered the Soul EV for my next purchase.
I am disappointed with this news also. Sure seemed as if Kia was serious about EVs. Guess not.
You know, living in Colorado I tend to get a bit annoyed when I read someone on insideevs or greencarreports or plugincars write that "there are now 20 (or whatever) EVs available in the US". While technically correct, in that California is a part of the US, it's not true for the majority of the country.
YES! I get so tired of the assumption that if an EV is available in California is valid to use as a model for the entire country. Screw the compliance cars.
This is where I really have to give Nissan huge amounts of credit - almost enough to forgive them for the ongoing obfuscation about the first and second generation batteries. From the beginning they rolled out the LEAF everywhere to every dealer. Yes, at first in 2011 I wondered if they'd ever get to Colorado, and I was disappointed when the second set of states didn't include us, but there they were in Broomfield in September 2011 demoing the LEAF - all along they were serious...
And I was there for my first ever look at the LEAF, even though I had already ordered one from Oregon sight-unseen. The big news from that event for me was that the Nissan dealer in Durango was going to be LEAF-certified, which meant that I could take my car there for service rather than flatbed it to Denver (300 miles each way). That was a really big deal for me. Three years later, I still have the only LEAF with eighty miles.

muus said:
nerys said:
GOT to find a good anti fog solution so I can use the propane heater. so far spit works well but I have to apply it DAILY. it wears off that fast. need a better solution.

Are you seriously trying to run a propane heater inside your Leaf?

No. I am running a propane heater in my leaf. Works splendidly. Does not do much for your feet though.

Back