Government shutdown could affect LEAF deliveries ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksd1

Just when we think Nissan has resolved the A/C shutdown problems and deliveries might resume, government shutdown might send port authorities home this coming Monday, stalling deliveries once again. Looking to see what might happen in coming days.

Yikes I hope not. I'm so close to my delivery and a lot of others are going to be upset if a shutdown happens!

Though, I know emergency services will still be funded and maybe that might include essential services like ports. After all, if the ports close, that's going to hurt a lot of businesses and shipping companies. But, I could get wrong about this.

sdbmania said:
Yikes I hope not. I'm so close to my delivery and a lot of others are going to be upset if a shutdown happens!

Though, I know emergency services will still be funded and maybe that might include essential services like ports. After all, if the ports close, that's going to hurt a lot of businesses and shipping companies. But, I could get wrong about this.
Port Authority as such won't close (usually a state government backed venture ...) - but customs might.

evnow said:
sdbmania said:
Port Authority as such won't close (usually a state government backed venture ...) - but customs might.
Yes, and the cars have to go through customs. But you and I, evnow, have nothing to worry about on that score if there is any truth at all to our dashboards. Our cars are either on private Nissan property or being transported to our dealers. We're finally getting close!!

Ray

Yep, I'm with the Coast Guard Auxiliary and we have been warned that most-all port customs and Coast Guard activities except for SAR will close down if the government does.

pksd1 said:
Just when we think Nissan has resolved the A/C shutdown problems and deliveries might resume, government shutdown might send port authorities home this coming Monday, stalling deliveries once again. Looking to see what might happen in coming days.

mogur said:
Yep, I'm with the Coast Guard Auxiliary and we have been warned that most-all port customs and Coast Guard activities except for SAR will close down if the government does.

Much to the delight of the mexican drug cartels, I'm sure.

planet4ever said:
Our cars are either on private Nissan property or being transported to our dealers. We're finally getting close!!

Don't want to dash your hopes, but it's entirely possible that Nissan is it's own customs broker and their lot (or a part of it), being secure, could well be a bonded area - those cars may not have cleared customs yet.

Would there be any benefit to NOT processing all arriving cars through customs quickly?

Presumably, there are customs fees to be paid, so I guess lack of funds could be a good reason to keep some vehicles in "limbo"?

garygid said:
Would there be any benefit to NOT processing all arriving cars through customs quickly?

Presumably, there are customs fees to be paid, so I guess lack of funds could be a good reason to keep some vehicles in "limbo"?
I'll post a 'no' vote here. Inventory on the shelf and cars in an impound lot are a business liability. Getting the cars out of 'jail' allows them to be sold. That generates the cash flow that not only pays for duties and fees, but also the cash that flows back to the 'mothership' to pay for the car and labor and paint.

Back