half dozen chargers along 100 mile highway all broken

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawlins02

Soon I'll be living in southern Delaware. Checked plugshare. All along Rt 1, across about 100 miles, are seven fast CHAdeMO chargers, all showing broken. These at franchise locations of Royal Farms, convenience stores. I tend to think that such a business with a functioning charger near the front of store would recoup much (more?) of the expense from people making a purchase. Seems like a lousy PR look with that much dysfunction.

I doubt Royal Farms, convenience stores. actually owns those chargers. They probably have a deal with a 3rd party company to maintain or NOT maintain those chargers. So you should start by asking Royal Farms what their plans/intentions are and go from there. I have had similar issues here where the office building where the chargers are located are not repaired for many months or at all because the landlord of the office building is unwilling to pay for the repair cost.

R1200RT said:
I doubt Royal Farms, convenience stores. actually owns those chargers. They probably have a deal with a 3rd party company to maintain or NOT maintain those chargers. So you should start by asking Royal Farms what their plans/intentions are and go from there. I have had similar issues here where the office building where the chargers are located are not repaired for many months or at all because the landlord of the office building is unwilling to pay for the repair cost.

The locations are Chargepoint, so Royal Farms owns them.

WetEV said:
R1200RT said:

I'm confident that an OpEd or two published in the proper venues will be bring needed awareness to this issue. Looking forward to shining a light on the gross negligence here.

WetEV said:
R1200RT said:

I agree probably Royal Farms owns them. But if they cancel their relationship with Chargepoint they're not going to be fixed. As I stated I have seen this before where the chargers DO NOT get fixed and stay dead. In fact, I just looked at plugshare.com for the charger I tried to use at an office building, and that particular charger is no longer listed on plugshare.com. My point being are these chargers suffering the same demise?

R1200RT said:
I agree probably Royal Farms owns them. But if they cancel their relationship with Chargepoint they're not going to be fixed.

^^ This is my thought as well.
I don't remember figures but the ChargePoint maintenance contract is expensive, and CHAdeMO is dead.
If OP would like to pay for the running costs and repairs, I'm sure something can be worked out.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
and CHAdeMO is dead.
Dual standard stations, both CCS and CHAdeMO.

Which makes the maintenance contract more expensive than CCS alone.

Predictable irony, that. It will self-correct as those dual vendor plugs go away. Perhaps Tesla might be willing to contribute a CHAdeMO to Tesla swap and some repairs although that offer is time limited since all the new Teslas are CCS compatible with an inexpensive adapter.

SageBrush said:
R1200RT said:
I agree probably Royal Farms owns them. But if they cancel their relationship with Chargepoint they're not going to be fixed.

^^ This is my thought as well.
I don't remember figures but the ChargePoint maintenance contract is expensive, and CHAdeMO is dead.
If OP would like to pay for the running costs and repairs, I'm sure something can be worked out.

Sarcasm, eh? Hilarious!

Posted on 12/19 on plugshare:

Thank you for reaching out! I spoke to our team regarding this matter. We are no longer going to be using ChargePoint and have hired two new companies to implement their chargers at our locations. The work on our Delaware locations has already begun and we hope to have these operational very soon. We apologize that they have been down for so long and look forward to offering these again to customers like yourself in the very near future.
Thank you,
Shelby

Uggh.

I hate to say it, but this is why I’m taking delivery of a Bolt in a couple weeks, instead of getting another Leaf. (Not interested in spending Arriya money, once all aspects of the purchase are figured in to the mix).

If the Leaf had CCS, I would have gone with the Leaf, for the larger cargo area and better interior materials, but I’ve had too many headaches related to Chademo availability and reliability over the years.

leafamiga said:
Uggh.

I hate to say it, but this is why I’m taking delivery of a Bolt in a couple weeks, instead of getting another Leaf. (Not interested in spending Arriya money, once all aspects of the purchase are figured in to the mix).

If the Leaf had CCS, I would have gone with the Leaf, for the larger cargo area and better interior materials, but I’ve had too many headaches related to Chademo availability and reliability over the years.

I'm a lot happier with the Bolt storage space (rear seats folded down) than what I had in the 2013 LEAF. The step and wide wheel wells in the LEAF reduced the functional utility a lot. Perhaps it matters what people carry.

And yeah, buying a CHAdeMO EV at anything other than close-out pricing is .... shall we say, not a financially prudent decision.

It’s funny - whenever I compare the cargo area of a Leaf to a Bolt in a forum, people have always come back talking about the cargo area with the seats -down-.

While I completely agree that the cargo area in a Bolt with the seats down is decent for sure, it’s moreso the cargo area with seats -up- that I care about, and that’s what I will miss about the Leaf

Wheel wells or not, there’s just a lot more space back there.

Back