Half Shaft Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SageBrush

My LEAF started making a clicking/clacking noise when I was driving home today. I didn't try to pinpoint what type of driving brought the noise out, although it did seem more pronounced during a braking event.

At home I took the wheels off and checked the boots which looked in fine condition without any sign of grease, and then I shook each part of the suspension and did not find any part loose . The only click I could get out of it was a single click when I rocked the half-shaft from side to side or turned the rotor. There is a good 5 mm of horizontal freedom on each half-shaft on the wheel side.

Not convinced I had found the problem, I left the under-cover off and went for a test ride with my wife -- and the noise was gone. So I'm going to leave the undercover off for a week or two and see if the noise comes back.

In the meantime, is the 5 mm of movement and click in each half shaft expected and normal ?

I've never taken apart an axle on a Leaf but I've re-booted and dis-assembled numerous other axles on FWD cars. Based on those, I'd say 5mm in/out play is pretty normal. The construction of outer joints and inner joints can be quite different but in either case 5mm doesn't seem excessive to me.

So you just took the wheel off and pushed/pulled the axle in and out? Nothing else was removed and re-installed?

goldbrick said:
I've never taken apart an axle on a Leaf but I've re-booted and dis-assembled numerous other axles on FWD cars. Based on those, I'd say 5mm in/out play is pretty normal. The construction of outer joints and inner joints can be quite different but in either case 5mm doesn't seem excessive to me.

So you just took the wheel off and pushed/pulled the axle in and out? Nothing else was removed and re-installed?

Other than the wheels and Aero cover, no other disassembly.

Thanks for relating your experience.

Back