Headlights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saleem145

Hello,

I hope I don't offend anyone but I don't like the headlights ;) Is there a substitute available that I can buy and swap out??? Its the headlight cover that bothers me, the bulbs seem fine.

Saleem

saleem145 said:
Hello,

I hope I don't offend anyone but I don't like the headlights ;) Is there a substitute available that I can buy and swap out??? Its the headlight cover that bothers me, the bulbs seem fine.

Saleem

Each to his own; I absolutely LOVE the design of the headlights--and, they are aerodynamically functional

I hated them for the first year and gave up eventually and learned to tolerate their look. That being said, if anyone develops an aftermarket slim headlight, I will buy it immediately. The Leaf would look really sporty with a flat rear bumper and slim headlights. I wouldn't mind the extra wind noise.

I like that the form is for function, instead of form hindering function. It's purposeful, which to me makes its own beauty.

ksnogas2112 said:
The headlights are designed that way to limit wind noise at highway speed (as I understand it).
Is it really wind noise? I thought the core issue was increased drag due to the turbulence. In other words, that replacing the headlight covers would reduce your range. [By how much, I have no idea.]

Ray

planet4ever said:
ksnogas2112 said:
The headlights are designed that way to limit wind noise at highway speed (as I understand it).
Is it really wind noise?
Yes. Without it, you would get extra noise created by the wind passing around the mirrors. The headlight shape deflects the wind away from the mirrors.

planet4ever said:
ksnogas2112 said:
Is it really wind noise? I thought the core issue was increased drag due to the turbulence. In other words, that replacing the headlight covers would reduce your range. [By how much, I have no idea.]

Ray

Turbulence and noise are closely related. So it might help both ways. On the other hand, it does take some energy to separate and divert the flow.

Here's a picture from a wind-tunnel test:
4623330019_2a751d5498_o.jpg

The only thing wrong with the headlights is you have to run the high beams for a few minutes to defrost them in winter. :D

Back