heated steering wheel question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dman2509

So I noticed that when I first turn on the heated steering wheel it gets VERY hot. But then after 5-10 minutes, it doesn't even really feel like it's on. Anyone else notice this? I have a 2015 SV model.

I use my steering wheel heat every morning. And yes, it heats up fast...then goes away after a few min. But it does cycle on and off as you drive. I have noticed at times it will automatically shut off after a certain amount of time.

yes, it turns on and off (Cyclic) rather than keep a consistent temperature.
It is discussed in length on the forums... a subsequent search will provide much more info on the topic.

Yes, unfortunately this seems to be the way it works. Looks like once it gets too hot, a thermal switch opens and only resets once it gets cold.

I've gotten into the habit of turning off the heated steering wheel once it gets hot (before it cuts out on it's own), and turn it back on once it starts to cool.

I can't understand why they couldn't integrate a thermostat that would keep the steering wheel at a more uniform comfortable temperature.

I find the seat heater does the same thing on "high" setting, but on low it stays on and warm. I wish the steering wheel had a low setting so it stayed on all the time as well. I have been tempted to hack it and feed it 9 vdc to see if it would stay on constantly then.

I have noticed the same issue. and it is really irritating because it feels SOOOO good for a few minutes, then it cools down. The only way I've been able to get more heat from it is to turn it off and back on.

dman2509 said:
Anyone else notice this? I have a 2015 SV model.

Well, it certainly is nice to see Nissan doesn't give two ****s about this deficiency and are still incorporating it into their latest model.

Yes, I have a 2012 and have the same problem. It irks me to no end. Aside from the battery, this is my biggest complaint about the LEAF. It's a huge tease. It is the best and worst feature of the car when it's -15F outside.

kubel said:
dman2509 said:
Anyone else notice this? I have a 2015 SV model.

Well, it certainly is nice to see Nissan doesn't give two ****s about this deficiency and are still incorporating it into their latest model.

Yes, I have a 2012 and have the same problem. It irks me to no end. Aside from the battery, this is my biggest complaint about the LEAF. It's a huge tease. It is the best and worst feature of the car when it's -15F outside.

Other cars with heated steering wheels have had problems with the glue holding the leather start to come off. So you may call it a deficiency but I'd much rather have a wheel that lasts than one that stays hot and gets ruined. It would have been nice if they had a high/low setting and the low would stay on but there still may be a risk there of long term damage.

Seat heaters have actually caused fires, so if you're unhappy that the seat won't stay on high don't blame Nissan, blame the lets sue everyone North American way.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...er-terrified-by-burning-seat-warmer-1.1354602

"Burning seat warmers, in various makes of vehicles, have reportedly caused 287 injuries and 500 fires in the U.S. in the last 20 years. They are a particularly serious problem for paraplegics, who get injured because they can’t feel the seat getting hot.

In one U.S. lawsuit, Marshall Hicks, a 30-year-old disabled man, claims he was severely burned in his Chevrolet Silverado pickup in December. Hicks’s truck was specially equipped for the disabled through GM’s "mobility" program.

In another American case, paraplegic Peggy Stephenson claims she suffered third-degree burns after travelling in a rental car for two hours, unaware the seat warmer was on. The device didn’t malfunction, instead she claims it was just too hot.

In the U.S., regulators and industry are looking at new safety standards, such as maximum temperature limits and automatic shut-off features."

minispeed said:
Other cars with heated steering wheels have had problems with the glue holding the leather start to come off. So you may call it a deficiency but I'd much rather have a wheel that lasts than one that stays hot and gets ruined. It would have been nice if they had a high/low setting and the low would stay on but there still may be a risk there of long term damage. ...

I'd much rather have one that simply works. Other cars manage this so I think there are better solutions than having brief periods of too-hot followed by extended periods of no-heat-at-all, followed by turning itself off completely. I think this piece was designed on Amateur Night at the Design Center.

Latest posts

Back