Help with this IPLC.com outlet

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkarza

Living in Canada with a Leaf is a little more challenging, these days. Most employers get money from Provincial power companies to switch to a plug from IPLC.com -

I dislike this plug. It alternates current in such a way that a Leaf charger no longer works.

Does anyone have any idea how to add some sort of parallel load over 100W to get this plug to stay on?

m210_ifg.png

The Intelligent Parking Lot Control is a smart power receptacle that can replace any existing parking stall power outlet. It measures temperature and wind chill and is factory programmed to automatically regulate the optimum power flow to ensure strong starts at any temperature. Its user friendly design tells if there’s power at the plug, and if their block heater is shorted or has a break in the circuit. Each IPLC handles two circuits and is provided with factory programming. Each outlet can be individually programmed to suit specific needs. There are three models available (M210D, M210TN and M210T), please refer to the manuals for more information.

I studied the manual and I don't see any way that this will work with an EVSE, short of reprogramming it, since it throttles the power and will also shutdown beyond a given power level... Clearly it is designed for block heaters and nothing else, and adding a parallel load is not going to solve the problem. I think the only practical solution would be to replace the outlet or bypass the electronics.

Basically how it works is this: The IPLC’s microprocessor measures both temperature and windchill and is factory
programmed to deliver no power above –5º C. It infinitely varies power delivery
from 10 percent on-time at –5º C to 100 percent on time at –25º C and colder.
Once the IPLC device first detects a functioning block heater, it cuts power for the first two hours, recognizing how
long it will take a hot engine to cool to a temperature requiring block-heater
support. IPLC circuits can also be programmed to accept a given maximum load to
prevent the use of in-car heaters, and will warn drivers of an overload so
they can disconnect their in-car heater. The IPLC reduces tripped breakers
because it cuts power directly at the outlet. It continually monitors the circuit,
restoring power when a detected short or overload problem is removed.

I wouldn't think block heater outlets would, in general, be suitable for EV charging anyway. They obviously wouldn't be wired so that each outlet could deliver 8 or 12a like the typical EV would draw. You might get lucky and be able to use one so long as few other outlets were in use, but even block heaters plugged into the rest of the outlets could be problematic.

Latest posts

Back