High Battery Temperature?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fooljoe said:
DiamondDan73 said:
I have an 84 mile round trip commute and can make it home for now but only with around 5 miles left and that's going 65 with the A/C off. It's uphill around 1500 feet. Going to work is no problem.
I assume you charge up at work everyday? Because otherwise that use case sounds impossible with a <43Ah battery...
Yes, I charge at work and home everyday. I wasn't sure if the high temp reading on my current battery would carry over to my new battery.

I've been doing my best - and succeeding, as far as I know - to keep my pack temp from reaching 7 bars at all this Summer, despite sustained HOT weather. I only use L-1 anyway, but I let the car cool as long as possible into the night before recharging in the AM. Does anyone know if a fairly constant 6 bars (usually with 5 bars for at least half the day) is safe for a 2013 pack? By "safe" I mean "doesn't accelerate degradation noticeably."

DiamondDan73 said:
fooljoe said:
DiamondDan73 said:
I have an 84 mile round trip commute and can make it home for now but only with around 5 miles left and that's going 65 with the A/C off. It's uphill around 1500 feet. Going to work is no problem.
I assume you charge up at work everyday? Because otherwise that use case sounds impossible with a <43Ah battery...
Yes, I charge at work and home everyday. I wasn't sure if the high temp reading on my current battery would carry over to my new battery.

A new battery will run slightly cooler than a deteriorated battery. A deteriorated battery has higher internal resistance so it generates more heat when charging and driving. Nissan compensates for this by changing the battery temperature bar thresholds based upon battery health, but temperatures displayed by Leaf Spy are actual temperatures. Therefore, you should see slightly lower battery temperatures in Leaf Spy with a new battery compared to your old one.

Gerry

mwalsh said:
^ I can't say for the 2013, but the stock battery in a 2011 is certain to generate capacity loss.
Fixed that for ya. :p

All lithium batteries experience capacity loss - the question is to what degree they experience it.

Back