Home charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PorlockJunior said:
So, I could get, say, the Blink, and run it on a 20A circuit and get all the performance I want, until a new car with higher charging capacity comes along? To which I adapt by upgrading the supply and setting a switch on the device. (Having perhaps had a new 20A line installed at first, but with overdesigned conductor for a time when overall capacity gets improved.)

Even if you get a car that will charge faster you can still charge at the 16a rate and not change a thing. You only need to upgrade if you find you actually need the higher power with practical experience. For most overnight charging the 16a should prove plenty fast.

PorlockJunior said:
Main breaker box fully populated now, for 100A. Could probably squeeze out a new 220/20 by rearrangements, without large effort. Main house input rated 125A. Could put in another 20 outside present breaker box, I understand. 40A begins to look expensive.
These statements seem odd to me. If your breaker box is physically full, you can probably gain space by using half-width breakers. Besides, 40A breakers take no more space than 20A breakers. If you mean the box is rated for 100A max, this seems like a very strange thing to do with 125A coming into the house. If you mean that you are at, or close to, 200A (100A on each leg) when you add up the breaker values, that is no problem at all. I haven't dug into the formulas recently, but your total breaker capacity is able to go well beyond your main breaker limit.

Ray

Back