HOV lanes in WA State. Are they open to EVs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You also have to have the ugly trio of stickers on the back bumper to do so in CA, so you couldn't do so with an out-of-state plate even if the car itself would normally qualify.

Nope. WA says the HOV lanes are to reduce congestion, not reward greenery.

But, motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes - go figure. :?:

ebill3 said:
Nope. WA says the HOV lanes are to reduce congestion, not reward greenery. But, motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes - go figure. :?:
That's easy. Motorcycles cause congestion with all their crazy stunts.
[Ducks quickly before someone throws a helmet at him.]

OK, here's a more politically correct reason: To be able to use the HOV lane your vehicle must have at least one person on board for every two wheels. [Yes, I just made that up.]

Ray

planet4ever said:
ebill3 said:
Nope. WA says the HOV lanes are to reduce congestion, not reward greenery. But, motorcycles are allowed in the HOV lanes - go figure. :?:
That's easy. Motorcycles cause congestion with all their crazy stunts.
[Ducks quickly before someone throws a helmet at him.]

OK, here's a more politically correct reason: To be able to use the HOV lane your vehicle must have at least one person on board for every two wheels. [Yes, I just made that up.]

Ray

(Like your brackets :D )

I don't necessarily disagree with WA's stance on this... Motorcycles were allowed in the HOV primarily for safety reasons...

ebill3 said:

TomT said:
I don't necessarily disagree with WA's stance on this... Motorcycles were allowed in the HOV primarily for safety reasons...

ebill3 said:
Interesting take.

Speaking of motorcycle safety, I seem to recall that in CA, motorcycles are allowed to ride between lanes of stalled autos. Is that correct?

Yes, it is the only state in the union that allows it. It came about many years ago when motorcycle cooling was much more primitive than it is today and they needed to keep moving not to overheat.

ebill3 said:
Speaking of motorcycle safety, I seem to recall that in CA, motorcycles are allowed to ride between lanes of stalled autos. Is that correct?

ebill3 said:

Not just stalled/stopped autos. They can lane-split even in moving traffic. Or more accurately, there is no law preventing it. Motorcyclists who lane-split operate in a gray area of the law.

However, as a former motorcyclist I would only do it if traffic was stopped, or moving very slowly. And even then some drivers of four-wheeled vehicles would try to squeeze you out of the lane if they could. The CHP even publicly stated what is considered a "safe(r)" way to lane split:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/08/business/la-fi-mo-autos-lanesplitting-controversy-safety-guidelines-from-the-chp-20130306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, the CHP's own motorcycle riders regularly violate everyone of these guidelines...

RonDawg said:
he CHP even publicly stated what is considered a "safe(r)" way to lane split:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/08/business/la-fi-mo-autos-lanesplitting-controversy-safety-guidelines-from-the-chp-20130306" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ebill3 said:
TomT said:

ebill3 said:
Interesting take.

When I was in CA on the BC2BC rally a motorcycle split lanes on my left. I was going 60 MPH. It really startled me. This practice is in no way safe.

TomT said:
Of course, the CHP's own motorcycle riders regularly violate everyone of these guidelines...

RonDawg said:
he CHP even publicly stated what is considered a "safe(r)" way to lane split:

Considering those are just guidelines, and not citable offenses as per the article, I don't see a problem with it.

I rarely see motorcycle officers, CHP or otherwise, lane-splitting anywhere else but between the far left lane, and the lane to the right of that. The exception would be is if they need to get on or off the freeway, or to get to a violator or a motorist in need of assistance.

Back