How are you going to survive your order month?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer23

I have a September order month, as I know most of the people on this forum do.

I know that I'm going to be on my email, clicking "Send-Receive" constantly, beginning September 1. I will only leave my computer for short periods relating to personal comfort, and I'll consume all meals at my desk. Trips to LA to help babysit my grandchild will be fraught with anxiety as I waste an hour each way away from email while on the freeway.

I have no way to know if my order date is September 1 or September 30. I assume that on weekends and Labor Day, and after 8 pm Central Time, weekdays, I will be able to relax. All personal relationships, bike rides, conversations with my wife, will need to be confined to those hours.

I envy August People, as I call them, because, if Nissan is true to their word, these People only have about a week to watch their email obsessively.

Many of you have email sent to your Blackberries or PDAs or iPhones. I am retired and I usually don't have anything that crucial that I need to know about it immediately. I'm actually considering investigating using email on my phone for September, hang the expense!

I sleep soundly now, but I'm rather anxious as I contemplate the approach of Order Month...

LOL.

On days I expect mails - I've been forwarding my hotmail to office mail. That way I don't have to constantly send/receive - ofcourse office mail is something I anyway watch.

My new strategy is to just install msn toolbar. I could also use the messenger. These show new mails as they come ...

And ofcourse, good people here will post if they get the email. That always helps ...

Boomer23 said:
I envy August People, as I call them, because, if Nissan is true to their word, these People only have about a week to watch their email obsessively.
Maybe September Ordering is similar to August ... one specific day (8/27) when emails will go out ? Any of the dealers know yet ?

I have a September order date as well, except it's probably September of 2011 :)

Really, I wouldn't worry about it much, it's just a car

mitch672 said:
I have a September order date as well, except it's probably September of 2011 :)

Checkout nissan-leaf.net. Perry says all reservations for this year (some 25K) will be fulfilled by fall of next year i.e. you can get your car before October.

mitch672 said:

We're on the outside, looking in!

Plus, none of you will be able to tell us how it all works in cold weather!

Other than learning a Zen like patience, I see little advantage to my early order/late delivery paradigm :|

sjfotos said:

:|

Somebody will probably drive one up to Lake Tahoe in the winter. Of course, they won't be able to drive it back because Nissan isn't offering L3 charging in that market. So it'll be abandoned near the Lake as a cautionary tale to the overly adventurous.

sjfotos said:

Actually we can. Our lowest temperature for the winter will be your average winter low ;-)

Besides, I can always try out Snoqualmie Pass and report ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Pass

Boomer23 said:
I'm actually considering investigating using email on my phone for September, hang the expense!
No need to spend money ! Unless you actually want to use your phone to reply to the email and do the ordering.

I just set up a few minutes ago a "Mail Filter" which triggers on any incoming emails containing "Nissan" in the sender's address and the word "LEAF" in both the subject and the message. The filter's action is to FORWARD to my cell phone. My cell phone is nothing fancy or expensive and does NOT require a data plan, but it does do TEXT messaging (some call it SMS). Just about any phone does. So I then tested it with a temprary filter similarly setup, and voila, I receive a TXT (cut off after aboyt 150 characters). At least that way I know based on my cell phone I should go find an internet-connected computer and get to work on my "OrderNow" !

( Just about every cell phone provider has an email address for your phone that looks something like <10-digit-cell#>@<cell_providers_domain>.com. )

Hope this helps your anxiety and your strategy :p

Boomer23 said:
sjfotos said:

:|

Somebody will probably drive one up to Lake Tahoe in the winter. Of course, they won't be able to drive it back because Nissan isn't offering L3 charging in that market. So it'll be abandoned near the Lake as a cautionary tale to the overly adventurous.

One of us will be driving the Leaf AT Lake Tahoe all winter (and spring, summer, and fall).

Getting from Tahoe to the Big Sac should be fairly doable without a fill up if the regen is worth anything - getting from Sac to Lake Tahoe is another story.

evnow said:
sjfotos said:

Actually we can. Our lowest temperature for the winter will be your average winter low ;-)

Excellent news! (For me, ;) )

evnow said:
sjfotos said:

Excellent news! (For me, ;) )

mwalsh said:
mitch672 said:

Got a feeling you're only saying that because you're in Boston :lol:

nope, not really.. I think the conclusion I have come to is, I'm better off with one of the 12.5KW PICC Lithium EV conversions for my existing 2010 Gen 3 Prius, for about $12K or so.
No range anxiety, 40 mile EV range up to 70MPH, and when it runs out of charge, it's still a Prius, and will "only get" between 50-60MPG. Yeah it's not perfect, but for my daily 34 mile roundtrip commute, it works for me, and it will be mostly gas free, unless I need heat, it's also 1/2 the price for of the Leaf me, since my 2010 Prius is already paid for.

http://www.evworld.com/news.cfm?newsid=23691
and
http://www.ewertenergy.com/index.php

I can wait for the Leaf 2 in 2014 or 2015, I don't see a burning need to be an "early late adopter", at this point, and by then there will be far more EV choices out.

LEAFer said:
No need to spend money ! Unless you actually want to use your phone to reply to the email and do the ordering.

I just set up a few minutes ago a "Mail Filter" which triggers on any incoming emails containing "Nissan" in the sender's address and the word "LEAF" in both the subject and the message. The filter's action is to FORWARD to my cell phone.
Interesting idea! I snorted when I saw it because my wife and I are old fogies who never use texting (seems crazy to punch a dozen keys for every word we want to say), so we have a cheap plan that charges 20c extra for every text message. And I had never heard of my email server having any kind of filter with forward feature. I could see myself paying up to $5 a day to have my phone bother me every time I get a junk email. Turns out my server has the same sort of filtering you describe. Something new to play with!

Well, let's see. December ordering month. I suppose, optimistically, it won't be the 25th, but man wouldn't that be a gift to beat all gifts! :)

As for checking e-mail, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think they're going to give you an unreasonable limit on your ability to request a quote. If you get the RAQ e-mail you're pretty much in AFAICT so if you don't do it for even a couple of days I doubt they'd knock you from the list. But please don't try to test that theory; personally I'd recommend within 24 hours and preferably within the same calendar day.

planet4ever said:
LEAFer said:

I just set up a few minutes ago a "Mail Filter" which triggers on any incoming emails containing "Nissan" in the sender's address and the word "LEAF" in both the subject and the message. The filter's action is to FORWARD to my cell phone.
Interesting idea! I snorted when I saw it because my wife and I are old fogies who never use texting (seems crazy to punch a dozen keys for every word we want to say), so we have a cheap plan that charges 20c extra for every text message. And I had never heard of my email server having any kind of filter with forward feature. I could see myself paying up to $5 a day to have my phone bother me every time I get a junk email. Turns out my server has the same sort of filtering you describe. Something new to play with!

Ditto.... texting? why? Oh yea... to kill yourself while driving....

Back