how many LEAF drivers in ohio???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Ohio. About 25 miles from Cleveland. I've had my LEAF since July. Love it! I've installed a 220 volt outlet in my garage to utilize the evseupgrade.com conversion for charging.

Just leased a 2012 Leaf on Sunday. I love it. I live in the Polaris area and am retired. I built my own electric car(1995 Dodge Neon conversion) in 2008 and sold it last month. I will be installing a 240V charger (from Lowes) after the holidays.
Glad to be a part of the Leaf community.
Doc

Doc, welcome to the community of LEAF owners/lessees, and to this wonderful forum. You should see comments and suggestions in here that address about every issue and question you may have from hypermiling to pairing Bluetooth devices to charging stations. If you find the forum as useful and I and others have, you may wish to become a supporter.

Best of luck with your new acquisition, and share your experiences and thoughts with the rest of the forum!

Thanks Bob.
Only question I have right now is, how can I tell what percentage of charge is available as I drive the car?? I see where charging at 80% is the best for low milage useage like mine.
Pleas advise.
Doc

Doc, from what I understand, % of charge will be a feature of the 2013 LEAF. For earlier models such as yours and mine, % is not directly available. That said, you can get an approximation of this by counting the State-of-Charge (SOC) bars on the dash. These are the long bars next to the small capacity bars on the right side of the dash. There are 12 of them at full charge, roughly 10 of them at 80% charge. While not very granular, each bar represents about 8% of charge (100% divided by 12 bars = 8.33% per bar).

Another way to look at the SOC bars is 8.33% of the full battery capacity. If you have the full 12 capacity bars (and you certainly should for a brand new LEAF), that also means you have 21kWh of juice, the stated capacity of a new fully-charged battery. So, each of the SOC bars represents 1/12th of the total juice or about 1.75kWh. Let's say you are averaging about 4.0 miles per kWh, that means you can expect about 7 miles per bar.

These are just rules-of-thumb, and as they say, your mileage may vary. Also, much like the fuel gauge in an internal combustion engine (ICE) car, the fuel gauge is not as linear as one would like. And the actual driving practices and external conditions make a huge difference in mileage. That's why some of the iPhone and other apps that compute range for LEAF owners take things into account like ambient temperature, battery temperature, mileage on the vehicle, elevation of start and end points (uphill vs. downhill), use of climate control, and other things you never even thought (or worried) about before.

I mentioned iPhone apps above. The four that I use are all free and in the Apple Store. They are called "Leaf Energy" (separate versions for iPhone and iPad) and "Leaf Calc" (same version for iPhone and iPad). I use these in addition to the "Nissan LEAF" app and the amazing "LEAF Link" (free but kick in $10 for a few excellent additional features) app.

Hey, I'm from Ohio too (east side of Cleveland). Just got my Leaf on Thursday. Haven't seen another one being driven around here since then.

Back