How much battery capacity is ideal for your LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much initial battery capacity is ideal for your next LEAF?

• 18 kWh - $26,000 Base - $34,000 Loaded

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 24 kWh - $28,000 Base - $36,000 Loaded

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 30 kWh - $30,000 Base - $38,000 Loaded

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • 36 kWh - $32,000 Base - $40,000 Loaded

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • 42 kWh - $34,000 Base - $42,000 Loaded

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • 48 kWh - $36,000 Base - $44,000 Loaded

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • 54 kWh - $38,000 Base - $46,000 Loaded

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • 60 kWh - $40,000 Base - $48,000 Loaded

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • 66 kWh - $42,000 Base - $50,000 Loaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 72 kWh - $44,000 Base - $52,000 Loaded

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 78 kWh - $46,000 Base - $54,000 Loaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 84 kWh - $48,000 Base - $56,000 Loaded

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 90 kWh - $50,000 Base - $58,000 Loaded

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
TomT said:
I voted for a 48Kwh battery... That would give me the capacity to do most of what I need to, while being cost effective, and would provide a cushion against future degradation. It would also reduce cycle degradation as I would need to charge less frequently and/or less deeply...

This was exactly my math and my vote. I don't often need more than the 24kWh, but it sure would save some hassle. And I'm getting close to losing that first bar.

We have had our 2013 SL for almost 3 months, now at 3,700 miles. Current capacity works out great for us. We keep the ICE car for trips, so the EV works for daily commute and all local driving. More QC availability will give us all the range extending we need. The larger battery pack costs more, weighs more, and will reduce efficiency.

On the day we leased the car we set the charge level to 80% and expect to keep it there. As soon as we get home it is plugged into the L2. This gives us additional range if we need to take the car out for the evening. As it is, we could live with a smaller capacity.

A 50 mile range covers most of my requirements. For the exceptions, we still have a Prius as well as QC (if I happen to be headed north). For now I am convinced that leasing is the way to go, and in our climate, at moderate speeds, the current battery can comfortably give 50 miles for three years. I'm sticking with 24 kWh.

Ray

planet4ever said:
A 50 mile range covers most of my requirements. For the exceptions, we still have a Prius as well as QC (if I happen to be headed north).
I suspect that your range requirements are typical of most U.S. drivers' actual needs. (Unfortunately, perceived needs are a different matter.)

However, while our family of multiple drivers is getting a good amount of use out of the LEAF, because of the LEAF's limited range and our longer-distance driving patterns, the Prius still accumulates miles on the odometer at a somewhat faster rate than the LEAF. Unfortunately, given the LEAF's degrading battery, the balance is currently shifting further toward the Prius. QC takes a while when you need closer to 100% charge to get home comfortably, and we're not always able to spend that time while risking the QC not being available or in use.

With a big-battery EV, we'd only need the Prius when multiple drivers are doing long drives at the same time, which is not terribly often. Years ago, owning an 85 kWh EV with AWD did not even seem like a possibility. The Model X is going to change that. Its steep price means waiting (for us) and the Falcon Wing doors seem funky, but it will be on the road and available for purchase. Quite a step forward.

I've always thought that speed of charging was more important than battery size. Doesn't the 6.6 kW charger now on-board the 2013 and 2014 Leaf max out what most of the Coulomb/Semaconnect/Blink/Eaton J1772 Level 2 evse's are capable of? Compared to the West coast, we're a little thin on Chademo L3 chargers out here on the East coast, but I've really taken a liking to a couple of eVgo Freedom Stations in the DC area. Having L3 more easily available makes a 24kWh battery easier to live with, at least for me.

Battery size isn't as much of a constraint if charging speed improves.

It is not just the range as I can often charge during a busy day. However that daytime charge cost 30 to 45 cents a kWh vs 10 cents at night. I want to charge overnight only and go 80 to 150 miles during the day when needed. I run short on range at least once a week to get stuff done. :(

abasile said:
planet4ever said:
A 50 mile range covers most of my requirements. For the exceptions, we still have a Prius as well as QC (if I happen to be headed north).
I suspect that your range requirements are typical of most U.S. drivers' actual needs. (Unfortunately, perceived needs are a different matter.)

BINGO!

I know a guy who was considering the LEAF and at the last second, paid an extra $5500 to get the Volt. Then during the time Blink charging was still free, he was charging at the Capital Gateway Park almost daily and never using gas. His first tank of gas lasted a long time (almost a year I think)

then Blink started charging (he had never gotten a card for anyone...) so he stopped charging there and only uses gas about 5% of the time admitting he can do electric as long as he does no side trips. His main side trips is Walmart and Costco in Tumwater which adds about 5-6 miles to his commute.

IOW; the LEAF would have been A PERFECT FIT!!!

FYI; Car is only used to commute from Yelm to Oly. Also has mini van that is used for everything else. although the LEAF sits 5, he says he doesn't even try to use it for family trips (he has 3 kids)

rumpole said:
I've always thought that speed of charging was more important than battery size. Doesn't the 6.6 kW charger now on-board the 2013 and 2014 Leaf max out what most of the Coulomb/Semaconnect/Blink/Eaton J1772 Level 2 evse's are capable of?
newownermnl

Not quite, I noticed that the 2013 LEAF seems to pull between 27 and 28 amps on ChargePoint stations. I think these stations are capable of at least 30 amps, possibly even 32 amps, if the Yazaki J1772 plug they are using is rated and UL-listed for that amperage. I have routinely seen Model S and Ford Focus Electric pull over 7 kW from these stations, which the LEAF does not seem capable of. I think you have a point, and Nissan should look into this. Even though 0.5 or 1 kW power does not seems much, it adds up, and could translate to 10 or 15% faster level 2 charging.

After much thought, I have decided to vote for 36 kWh.

My calculations tell me such a LEAF should have about 36 kWh * 0.92 = 33 kWh available when new and 70% of that at end of life or about 23 kWh.

Assuming a 36 kWh battery does not weigh TOO much more than the current 24 kWh battery, that should give about a 90-mile range at end of life in fair weather and should readily handle 70-ish miles in more adverse conditions.

A very tough question, but also after much thought, I voted for 48 kWh.

My basis was wanting 100 mile real range at the 70% capacity end of life with my life time average 3.3 m/kWh. Existing 24 kWh battery has around 21.5 kWh available, so I think that is more like 90% usable instead of the 92% usable the OP used in his decision.

My decision is also based on the limits of how much I would be willing to pay extra on a vehicle like the LEAF. Although I think the OP's basis of $2,000 for 6 kWh capacity ($333 per kWh) is unrealistically low for what Nissan's current cost is, I stuck with the survey's basis of $2,000 for 6 kWh.
I paid $34,000 for my 2011 LEAF SL-etec. I would have been willing to pay an additional $8,0000 to double the LEAF's range. But I doubt I would have been willing to pay much more than that. If I had $100K to spend on a Tesla S, I would be like most purchasers and opting for the 85 kWh battery pack. But that is on a much larger high performance sedan.

Although I love the LEAF, it is not a high performance luxury sedan. Putting more than an additional $8,000 in it for doubling the range with a 48 kWh battery would seem a bit ridiculous to me. That would be 1/3 more than the $24,000 that I ended up paying for the LEAF after federal and state incentives.

I somewhat question the technical feasibility of doubling the battery capacity in the existing LEAF platform. Although I like the available space in the rear of the LEAF in the optional storage bin, I don't use the storage bin all that much. I would sacrifice that space for an additional 24 kWh of range for $8,000.

But I think a very small kW output compressed natural gas range extension trailer option might be a better design choice for the LEAF then adding 24 kWh of battery. That would meet the overall range needs for me better than doubling the kWH to 48 kWh. Admittedly natural gas filling stations are very limited right now, but that will be changing a lot over the next 3 to 4 years, being driven by the substantial $ savings for about 50% of the commercial / industrial trucking firms. It doesn't work for 100% of them, but it does work for around 50% of them, so gradually more and more compressed natural gas and liquified natural gas stations will be added.

TimLee said:
<snip>
But I think a very small kW output compressed natural gas range extension trailer option might be a better design choice for the LEAF then adding 24 kWh of battery. That would meet the overall range needs for me better than doubling the kWH to 48 kWh. Admittedly natural gas filling stations are very limited right now, but that will be changing a lot over the next 3 to 4 years, being driven by the substantial $ savings for about 50% of the commercial / industrial trucking firms. It doesn't work for 100% of them, but it does work for around 50% of them, so gradually more and more compressed natural gas and liquified natural gas stations will be added.
It seems that quite a few are opting for LPG (propane) instead:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/23/propane-provides-stunning-fuel-savings/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just think, you could mount your barbeque on the trailer too! :lol:

DanCar said:
KJD said:
... With this in mind the 2.0 LEAF should have a pack size in the range of 36 to 48kwh...
Hopefully the e-nv200 will have these options. Also the performance pack with 0-60 in 5 seconds. Lol
Add the Infiniti LE to the wish list of large capacity battery pack option.

DanCar said:
DanCar said:
KJD said:
... With this in mind the 2.0 LEAF should have a pack size in the range of 36 to 48kwh...
Hopefully the e-nv200 will have these options. Also the performance pack with 0-60 in 5 seconds. Lol
Add the Infiniti LE to the wish list of large capacity battery pack option.

better wish is "multiple" pack options. let the customer decide how much they are willing to spend

i cannot believe that people are continuing to ignore the brilliant marketing move Tesla pulled off on the S.

I think the 36kWh battery would make the LEAF a true 100 mile (EPA) car with ~10 mile buffer. Easy to figure 1 mile per 1 % SOC, as well as a useful range. But I would also expect better battery performance. Benchmark for a non BTMS pack would be at least 80% capacity after 10 years or 5,000 cycles.

90, 90, 90 - Would love to have a really long range LEAF for a heck of a lot cheaper than a TESLA. I love my LEAF and would be happy to pay for 90kWh especially if it's still cheaper by a good margin. Maybe it'll be branded an Infiniti, maybe it'll just be a SuperLEAF (could even beat a Tesla on range) :lol:

Just make it Nissan and you'll have lots of customers (including me). Also since we're wishlisting also make a minivan (5, 6, or 7 seats) or a SUV (5, 6, 7 seats), and a convertible. And add QCs all over the place. And also give us an option to upgrade Gen 1 LEAFs to some higher battery capacity (maybe 48kWh at least?)

Back