ICE Shaming

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipcecil

For just a little bit of fun - my wife and her friend created a tumblr and twitter dedicated to catching non-plugin or non-hybrids in dedicated spots. Feel free to submit photos or just enjoy!

http://iceshaming.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/iceshaming" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (@iceshaming)

I'd take care to obscure license plate information. Otherwise you may be in for some hassles or threats if/when one of these folks discover your site, or even from people who are inclined to "defend the honor" of their fellow jerks.

I wish these stores would put the charger on the far side of the parking lot so the spots will always be open. My walking range is unlimited anyway, I have a fat reserve in the thousands of miles and it gets refilled frequently.

Nubo said:
I'd take care to obscure license plate information. Otherwise you may be in for some hassles or threats if/when one of these folks discover your site, or even from people who are inclined to "defend the honor" of their fellow jerks.

I think they had a discussion about that, but as long as the picture isn't from a private resident place (like a home), they are out in the public and therefore it won't violate any laws - although it still could anger some. It was similar to a site that took pictures of bad parking (and posted license plates). It still runs with showing the license plates.

I guess they decided it was worth the harsh words.

The sad part about some of these pictures is that these spots are NOT near the entrances but some are very far away from the stores! Dunno why people still park in them.

I've still never heard a viable explanation for why license plates should be fuzzed out in pictures. You can see the license plate on every car out there, it's hardly a big secret.

A blue sign that says "EV" means something to us, but not much to many others. Doesn't say no parking or restricted parking. Yes, I agree, considerate folks would leave the spot for an EV, but not in this "me" generation.

It's also illegal in some locales to publish license plate numbers in this manner...

Nubo said:

LTLFTcomposite said:
I've still never heard a viable explanation for why license plates should be fuzzed out in pictures. You can see the license plate on every car out there, it's hardly a big secret.

Because the person may become defensive, belligerent, or worse, when they discover there is online photographic evidence of their buffoonery. There was a local site years ago where the site owners would post pictures and videos of other drivers "behaving badly". They got tired of the threats and eventually shut it down.

Those signs need to include that ICE cars will be towed. Although based on the IQ we are dealing with, it would need to be very explicit as to what an ICE is and what an EV or PHEV is. I'm trying to think of the right wording to have printed up and put under the wipers of ICE vehicles that I see abusing the recharging stations.

Elephanthead said:
I wish these stores would put the charger on the far side of the parking lot so the spots will always be open. My walking range is unlimited anyway, I have a fat reserve in the thousands of miles and it gets refilled frequently.

Would you prefer one charger instead of four.

I'm going to print up something that I can put under the wiper of offending ICEs parked in charging spots. With great control over my anger I've come up with this. Any better suggestions?

Egads! You’ve Shut Me Out!

You may not realize it but you have parked in a spot that is reserved for electric vehicles. Those of us with electric vehicles are trying to do our part to help clean up the air. Won’t you please do your part by not parking in spots like this?
After all, how would you feel if a group of us with electric vehicles parked beside the pumps at your favorite filling station and walked away?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

a slight improvement:

Those of us with electric vehicles are trying to do our part to help clean up the air and keep liquid fuel costs low for you. Won’t you please do your part by not blocking access to charging spots like this?

Elephanthead said:
Difficulty: "The far side of the parking lot" is usually not where the electricity is.
=Smidge=

ERG4ALL said:
Those signs need to include that ICE cars will be towed. Although based on the IQ we are dealing with, it would need to be very explicit as to what an ICE is and what an EV or PHEV is. I'm trying to think of the right wording to have printed up and put under the wipers of ICE vehicles that I see abusing the recharging stations.
Be careful what you wish for. California's answer (with help from GM) is that any car that is not currently charging can be ticketed and towed! :evil:

There was someone sitting in an ICE car at one of the charging stations at Whole Foods this weekend. I just didn't have the nerve to say anything to him. I plug my car into the other charging station (where he could clearly see what I was doing) but he didn't get the hint that he was preventing someone else from doing the same thing. I think it's just a case of ignorance more than anything else.

I'm thinking if the ICE offenders discover this site they may consider it a badge of honor and there may be competition to see who can get their vehicle featured there the most.

But likely they will never know it exists...

ERG4ALL said:
I'm going to print up something that I can put under the wiper of offending ICEs parked in charging spots. With great control over my anger I've come up with this. Any better suggestions?

Egads! You’ve Shut Me Out!

You may not realize it but you have parked in a spot that is reserved for electric vehicles. Those of us with electric vehicles are trying to do our part to help clean up the air. Won’t you please do your part by not parking in spots like this?
After all, how would you feel if a group of us with electric vehicles parked beside the pumps at your favorite filling station and walked away?
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Take a look here: http://webpages.charter.net/ray_senior/ICEd-Notices.pdf

Courtesy of Blink modified by planet4ever.

Herm said:
a slight improvement:

Those of us with electric vehicles are trying to do our part to help clean up the air and keep liquid fuel costs low for you. Won’t you please do your part by not blocking access to charging spots like this?
Instead of bringing up clean air, how about reducing traffic congestion at gas pumps. It will be more effective if you make it all about him.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Instead of bringing up clean air, how about reducing traffic congestion at gas pumps. It will be more effective if you make it all about him.

Good idea. My local "cheap" stations are a complete zoo at ANY time of day on weekends, except real early in the morning.

Back