KWh of 2015 Leaf better than 2012 Leaf or not?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsoaz

Hi -

I see allusions to different answers, but it's hard to find firm ones in one clear spot so I will just write out my questions and maybe someone can point me to answers:

- Are all new Leafs getting the Lizard batteries or just some, or just replacement batteries?
- Has there been an increase in kWh, or a significant decrease in curb weight relating to the battery pack, or not?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089545_2014-nissan-leaf-electric-car-84-mile-range-aroundview-standard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2014 Nissan Leaf Electric Car: 84-Mile Range, RearView Monitor Standard
By John Voelcker
112 Comments45,551 viewsJan 8, 2014Follow John
....Most importantly to new buyers, the range of the 2014 Leaf is now listed as 84 miles, up from last year's 76 miles

That number seems like a significant improvement, but in fact the only change made to the car is the elimination of a software option that let owners set battery charging to stop at 80 percent.

In other words, the 2014 car has exactly the same battery, drivetrain, and real-world range as the 2013--only its EPA range rating has changed....

- Trying to answer a bit of this, from the fueleconomy.gov files, it appears the kWh/kG has remained constant for 2013-2015, though it was a bit lower ain 2012. The Voltage and Amp-Hours in theory has not changed from 2012 to 2015 (unless in my hurry I have misread something).
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/download.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet, from talking to various people and reading a bit here and there, I get the sense that there is a claim that when one buys a new Leaf one is buying a vehicle that will go a bit further than one from 2013 and that this might not only be about lighter weight but perhaps a bit more kWh. I can't quite figure out readily though where to go to sort some of this out.

I just got a new Lizard battery in my 2011 so here are a few numbers:

Weight: The dealer has one of those fancy equipment lifts that has a built in scale. He said the new battery was 23 pounds lighter...

Capacity: According to Leaf Scan Pro and my Lincomatic, the new Lizard battery has about 3% more capacity than my old battery when new...

jlsoaz said:
- Are all new Leafs getting the Lizard batteries or just some, or just replacement batteries?
The battery in new Leafs and all replacement batteries (under warranty or purchased) are of the "Lizard" variety (use the new "heat resistant" chemistry).

TomT said:
I just got a new Lizard battery in my 2011 so here are a few numbers:

Weight: The dealer has one of those fancy equipment lifts that has a built in scale. He said the new battery was 23 pounds lighter...

Capacity: According to Leaf Scan Pro and my Lincomatic, the new Lizard battery has about 3% more capacity than my old battery when new...

2011/2012 cells weighed 799grams each http://evalbum.com/4515" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

current cells weigh 787grams each http://www.eco-aesc-lb.com/en/product/liion_ev/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so at the cell level, 12 grams saved

technically, capacity was reduced from 33.1 Ah to 32.5 Ah per cell
this kinda matches the hypothesis that the change is due to improvement of electrolyte and additives to electrolyte.

Ok, thanks for the prompt responses.

Setting aside the other efficiency-related improvements (heat pump, etc.) the claims of 3% overall pack capacity improvement, together with a bit less pack weight, sound like they might lead to "a bit" better range when driving off the lot.

It's still a bit unclear to me then how the EPA range estimate evolved. Maybe the articles were not quite correct and perhaps some of the range increase from 2013 to 2014 was attributable to changes in battery chemistry and not just to changes in the EPA testing calculation (dealing with the whole charge to 80% issue). Or, if the lizard battery really came into play for 2015, then I guess I'm not quite sure why there wouldn't be a slight range bump in EPA estimates from 2014 to 2015.

I guess in the end, the amounts here are not big, and the range of the newly lizarded Leafs is not near where I'd need it to be to consider leasing a 2015 when I give up my 2012 lease, but it still seems worth understanding that Nissan has continued to improve things a bit. Hopefully the 2016 Leaf will have a more radical range improvement and then I can at least give it some consideration next year.

Back