ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone done a round trip from Renton -> Tacoma? It's about 65 miles on the freeway and I'm too chicken to try it. :)

sirfergy said:
Has anyone done a round trip from Renton -> Tacoma? It's about 65 miles on the freeway and I'm too chicken to try it. :)
I did Bellevue->(Recharged to full)Seattle->Tacoma->Bellevue. It was ~85 miles from when I got a full charge but I think the only way I barely made it home was because there was traffic so it was mostly not at freeway speeds and I didn't go over the speed limit on the freeway. 65 miles on the freeway will be no problem.

QueenBee said:
sirfergy said:
I did Bellevue->(Recharged to full)Seattle->Tacoma->Bellevue. It was ~85 miles from when I got a full charge but I think the only way I barely made it home was because there was traffic so it was mostly not at freeway speeds and I didn't go over the speed limit on the freeway. 65 miles on the freeway will be no problem.

Did you have A/C on and do ECO? My wife would do the drive and she wouldn't think twice about using A/C and probably not drive in ECO mode.

sirfergy said:
QueenBee said:
sirfergy said:

Did you have A/C on and do ECO? My wife would do the drive and she wouldn't think twice about using A/C and probably not drive in ECO mode.

On the way there I did and then on the way home I started to get worried (And by worried I mean I started think I was going to have to stop at one of the many L2 charging points along the way) so I turned off the AC (Not that it really ever makes much of a difference) and was using eco/trying to leave lots of gaps for regen/etc.

IBELEAF said:
Anyone commuting Bellevue -> Lynnwood on 405? I am using up 5 bars on this 25 mile run without using heater or a/c.
More importantly what m/kwh are you getting - and at what speed do you drive. We all know YMMV.

QueenBee said:
sirfergy said:

Really? Too chicken to try a 65 mile drive? 65 miles to 85 miles is all I can expect to get out of a Leaf? My Leaf is on order due for a December delivery and now I'm rethinking if the car will even work for me. What happened to the 100+ miles?

I commute from Tacoma to Renton on Tuesdays, round trip its 55 miles, if I eat lunch in the office. The rest of the week I commute to Lacey which is 50 miles round trip.
The caveat for me is there may be a need for me to leave the office to fix a problem at a remote site. The area I cover extends to Centralia, Shelton and Aberdeen.
Has anyone attempted a drive from Tacoma to Centralia on a single charge and made it back? I think the total round trip would be 100 miles.

It would be nice if there was a trial offer on the Leaf. I would take it work a few times to see how reliable it would be in a real world commute. The last thing I want is to be gauge watching and worrying about being stuck on the freeway! :shock:

You will never get to Centralia and back without stopping to charge. From Tacoma city center to Centralia is 55 miles. 110 mi. round trip is out of the question. Most of the highway is 60 MPH with some stretches at 70 mph. If you could charge in Centralia for 4 hours or so at level 2 charging you could make that drive. At 79 miles one way, Aberdeen would pretty much be out of the question. The hope is that eventually there will be a charging infrastructure along the I-5 corridor. But it is anyone's guess as to when that will be implemented.

Megawatti said:
QueenBee said:
sirfergy said:

Really? Too chicken to try a 65 mile drive? 65 miles to 85 miles is all I can expect to get out of a Leaf? My Leaf is on order due for a December delivery and now I'm rethinking if the car will even work for me. What happened to the 100+ miles?

I commute from Tacoma to Renton on Tuesdays, round trip its 55 miles, if I eat lunch in the office. The rest of the week I commute to Lacey which is 50 miles round trip.
The caveat for me is there may be a need for me to leave the office to fix a problem at a remote site. The area I cover extends to Centralia, Shelton and Aberdeen.
Has anyone attempted a drive from Tacoma to Centralia on a single charge and made it back? I think the total round trip would be 100 miles.

It would be nice if there was a trial offer on the Leaf. I would take it work a few times to see how reliable it would be in a real world commute. The last thing I want is to be gauge watching and worrying about being stuck on the freeway! :shock:

I think this is why there are so many orphans, people truly don't understand what a range limited car means. :)

sirfergy said:

Sure you can make it! But you will have to recharge in Renton before returning home. If you go to The Landing Shopping Center, you can use one of the 4 BLINK chargers there. They are free but you must have a BLINK card to access the juice. Look it up on several of the car-charger apps. I posted pictures for The Landing on carstations.com. Enter zip 98057

There is lots of shopping and eateries at The Landing—enough to spend several hours while charging your car.

I know this may sound like an ad for this place but I'm am for supporting places with charging stations.

Have fun ! !

Megawatti said:

Rent one.

I'm actually not being facetious; I'm fairly sure at least one Enterprise Rent-A-Car in the Seattle area has a LEAF. Rent that, borrow Blink and ChargePoint passes from someone local, and give the drive a go. That's the only way you'll know for certain if the car's range will suit you.

For me, I can get from Seattle to Parkland (Tacoma... ish) without issue. The return trip would be bad, however, so I need to charge while down there. But that's not an insurmountable problem; there's a couple Nissan dealers with L2 charging down there, and otherwise I can plug in for L1 charging to top off at the only place I ever go down there (a friend's family's house).

Ok, my estimates that my daily commute is "doable" is correct, IF I don’t do any extra driving while at work. Although I would be at the upper end of the range limit (discouraging news) :( . I have pitched the idea to my employer to install L2 charging stations in the parking garage in Lacey. I told them that this would be a good way to promote alternative fuel travel and to show the community that we care about our environment. I will let everyone know if this is approved and the L2 chargers are installed.

As for renting the Leaf, that is a good idea! I will research that idea. I’m sure that topic was discussed here but I can’t seem to do a search for it.

Why is there no search option available to me for this website? Am I missing it, or does that feature get turned on when I become a paying member? Thanks everyone!

Nevermind!! I see that there is a search feature up above, stupid me! :oops:

Megawatti said:
Ok, my estimates that my daily commute is "doable" is correct, IF I don’t do any extra driving while at work. Although I would be at the upper end of the range limit (discouraging news) :( . I have pitched the idea to my employer to install L2 charging stations in the parking garage in Lacey. I told them that this would be a good way to promote alternative fuel travel and to show the community that we care about our environment. I will let everyone know if this is approved and the L2 chargers are installed.

As for renting the Leaf, that is a good idea! I will research that idea. I’m sure that topic was discussed here but I can’t seem to do a search for it.

Why is there no search option available to me for this website? Am I missing it, or does that feature get turned on when I become a paying member? Thanks everyone!

who do you work for?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Megawatti said:

who do you work for?

Providence Health & Services

Megawatti said:
To save you time, LEAF rentals for Seattle are handled from the University District branch of Enterprise. You can call them directly to discuss renting one. I don't know which branches (if any) in Tacoma handle EV rentals.

DaveinOlyWA said:
thank you for allowing me to win a bet. i bet my SO (who also works for Providence in Centralia that you did and i willing to go farther and say you work IT support

Just like Dilbert. :D

13539.strip.gif

Back