Intelligent unlock stopped working - swap left and right handle?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearer

Driver side intelligent unlock stopped working and I've looked at salvage parts for a replacement and saw some parts having the same part number listed across both left and right hand side parts.

So I wonder are they indeed the same part number, and as such could I just swap my left and right handles? Will it affect the cars ability to differentiate between the driver and passenger side door (mostly curious I have set the car to allow lock/unlock from all both doors and the trunk).

There is a lot more in the intelligent lock system than the door handle. Unless the button is sticking, there is a good chance that the problem is something more than the handle. Also, the door must be disassembled to remove/replace the handle. The antennas for the intelligent system (that sense the key fob) are separate items from the door handles.

It seemed from DLK-18 that the antenna is installed in the handle, the right side does work - so if the parts are "dumb" and can be swapped around then I would be able to verify getting the new part will solve the problem.

I've reviewed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK4oyAeLtZ4 to get a feel for the disassembly, not too bad when parts and shipping are rather pricey and slow up here. I might also be inclined to live with the right side not working if spraying some contact cleaner on the switch doesn't work and swapping left and right is actually possible.

Thanks for finding that video. I see now that the antenna is in the handle (behind the plastic outer cover) so that explains why the part is rather expensive. The driver door handle on my 2015 broke so it would flex outward (like the one in the video) when it was fairly new so I used JB Weld epoxy to secure the plastic to the metal (rather than buying a new handle and replacing it) and it was still OK when I traded for the 2019.

Make sure the button is not sticking before you try swapping the handle assemblies. When the large plastic piece on mine moved, it would sometimes keep the button from popping back out and that would cause the intelligent key system to not lock/unlock from the button. Freeing the button would restore normal operation.

Back