Introducing my LEAF to a US Senator - what to talk about?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorSFGuy

I may have an opportunity to show my LEAF to one of our US Senators. Aside from anything political in nature, what would you suggest I discuss or point out?

Update 08/06: I was advised last night the visit has been cancelled. Thanks for all the comments - I will pass them along to her office.

TaylorSFGuy said:
I may have an opportunity to show my LEAF to one of our US Senators. Aside from anything political in nature, what would you suggest I discuss or point out?
Maybe the impact of the tax credits on your decision to jump in

Encourage the Senator to take you out for a short drive - nothing more convincing then actually driving the thing yourself and seeing that it really is a car - and a nice car at that.

Tell him what the car is: perfect comute car for less than 60 miles RT. Tell him what the car can be if more L3 EVSEs are installed: the only car I would need.

Tell her that this generation of EVs are finally the real deal, NOT an experiment, and continuing support to get the infrastructure in place and more manufacturers in the game is important. If the opportunity arises, by all means offer a test drive.

Maybe put him in contact with Leaf owner Lamar Alexander (R-TN) and show him some of the facts Senator Alexander speaks about.
http://www.torquenews.com/397/senator-alexander-unused-electricity-our-greatest-national-resource

camasleaf said:
Tell him what the car is: perfect comute car for less than 60 miles RT. Tell him what the car can be if more L3 EVSEs are installed: the only car I would need.

Less than 60 miles round trip? No way, please don't tell her that. On city streets, I can easily go 100 miles on an 80% charge. Even on the freeway at 60, anyone should be able to exceed 60 miles.

LEAFfan said:
Less than 60 miles round trip? No way, please don't tell her that. On city streets, I can easily go 100 miles on an 80% charge. Even on the freeway at 60, anyone should be able to exceed 60 miles.

I'd have to politely disagree. That would be setting the general public's expectations incorrectly. While you and I might be able to achieve those types of numbers, your typical soccer mom is going to want to run the A/C full blast and drive fast. 70 miles is probably a more accurate number to use, but I wouldn't go with 100.

What would be better is to explain how most people really over-estimate the amount of mileage they need because often people equate miles with minutes. They think if something is 20 minutes drive, then it must be 20 miles. When in reality it is a lot less.

adric22 said:
I'd have to politely disagree. That would be setting the general public's expectations incorrectly.
I concur. Both because people will expect to drive 75mph to work, and because who wants a car that can only make it to work and back? No driving to lunch, or the dentist, or the mall? Just doesn't cut it.

I would push the domestic energy use more than being some save the planet green car.
Built in America (soon) and runs on American fuel is the win win IMO.

Oh and it is really fun to drive. And bring our men home from the middle east already.

davewill said:
adric22 said:
I'd have to politely disagree. That would be setting the general public's expectations incorrectly.
I concur. Both because people will expect to drive 75mph to work, and because who wants a car that can only make it to work and back? No driving to lunch, or the dentist, or the mall? Just doesn't cut it.

Yes, we can get 70-80 miles on freeway on full charge (have some hills). But you also want to stop on at stores, go to lunch .... And I do not want to hear the low battery warning everyday.

• Made in USA, with American jobs. Leaf (soon). Volt (now). Electricity (now)
  • Keep America in the technology lead
  • Importance of energy independence to national security and counter terrorism
  • Appreciation to DOE and The EV Project
  • Importance of public charging infrastructure, especially to extend beyond the early adopters
  • Overturn GSA ruling that prevents federal workers from charging at work. Federal government should lead, not trail

adric22 said:
70 miles is probably a more accurate number to use, but I wouldn't go with 100.

That's exactly what I said. You can easily get more than 60 miles on the freeway at reasonable speeds. Our speed limits are average at 65mph and you can easily go 60 in the right lane and be able to get at LEAST 70 miles or 70 miles at 65 is no problem either. On city streets, 70 isn't realistic at all. A driver can easily obtain 5.0m/kW h driving city streets and that would be 105 miles (5.0 X 21).

Tell him he should take all the oil company bribes now ASAP and then not vote or bother to folfill any of their lobbies or requests because oil companys will be powerless soon, LOL. So just enjoy their bribes and screw them like they screw all of us everyday at the pumps. lol

Its time to teach the oil companies a lesson about giving money & lobbies.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/national-affairs/big-oil-to-congress-dont-f-k-with-us-20110513

But more importantly,

Tell him we can fill our Leaf up for what under $3 bucks & go 100 miles or $9 dollars to go 300 miles in our EV with SUV cargo space, or we can continue to bend over at the pumps to pay $80 dollars to go 300 miles in a small suv to go the same distance.

LOL
-Riki

2513466263_eb49fceb53_m.jpg

Latest posts

Back