iPhone text message alert

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aibo

When my iPhone is connected to the car via bluetooth, the incoming phone calls will ring on the phone and car's speakers. However, for text messages, the alert is silent on the phone and the car. Is there a way to enable the text message alert/sound on iPhone or the car?

I have experienced the same issue (iPhone 4s/2013 SV non-Bose) it is very frustrating. I hope it can be corrected with a software update and that Nissan is aware of it.
aibo said:
When my iPhone is connected to the car via bluetooth, the incoming phone calls will ring on the phone and car's speakers. However, for text messages, the alert is silent on the phone and the car. Is there a way to enable the text message alert/sound on iPhone or the car?

Given the current publicity about texting-induced accidents, it's hardly surprising that Nissan would have blocked notifications of text messages (and/or Apple suppresses them when the device is connected to a car). Safety 101...

aibo said:
The iPhone also links to the car as an audio device too, so the car captures all the alert noises but you won't hear them unless you are listening to Bluetooth audio. If you are using another audio source, you get no alerts.

:cool: This post is so great and nice :p

The iPhone also links to the car as an audio device too, so the car captures all the alert noises but you won't hear them unless you are listening to Bluetooth audio. If you are using another audio source, you get no alerts

I am not trying to sidetrack this into an Apple/Android debate at all - but I just thought I would add my $0.02 on how I work around this given the limitations of bluetooth with the Leaf. I have a 2015 SV.

I carry an S5 and iphone 24/7. The S5 is my primary phone, iPhone is my work provided cell phone. I also have my iPad Air paired with my Leaf. I have an unlimited data plan on my iPad, so I use it to stream Sirius/XM and Pandora.

The problem is, when I switch over to the iPad - any bluetooth sounds from my S5 would normally not be heard because the bluetooth audio is on my iPad. So to get around this, I use Tasker on my S5 and built some tasks for when I drive that I LOVE and could not commute without. I am unable to do this with my iPhone. When listening to my iPad, I am SOL on hearing anything from my iPhone notifications, unless I turn off the pairing.

For instance. As soon as I turn the car on and my S5 connects to the bluetooth, it changes it from work/silent mode into my version of car mode - full volume for everything, and full screen brightness (depending on time of day of course). This also triggers my driving call and driving text actions. If I get a text, my phone will read aloud the person's name sending the test, and then the text. It will then auto reply to that person that I am driving and I will get back to them once I am at my destination. When I get a call, it says aloud the name of the person calling - as well as being able to see it on the screen in the car. So I mention this because, if I didn't have tasker - none of that would work. It would automatically try to put all those sounds through bluetooth. So I set Tasker to automatically send those sounds through the phone's speaker at full volume. I am easily able to hear it through my pant's pocket over the volume of the radio.

Too bad Apple doesn't have anything like Tasker. I love all the profiles I set up for each of my cars, nighttime/daytime, etc.

Back