Irritating, but interesting day.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

so I was out driving my Leaf on the other side of town today. Rarely do I go this far. Well, my TPMS warning light came on so I stopped and aired up my tires. I figured it was just the weather change, but it turned out one of the tires had a nail in it. So there was a firestone place nearby. I drove over and asked them if they could repair the tire. They came out and looked at it and said they weren't sure because it was so close to the sidewall. They said it would be about an hour and a half before they could get to it. I decided to wait. I was thinking how nice it would be if the car could be charging during this time. I looked on plugshare and sure enough there was a Kohls right across the street with a Blink charger. So I took the car and told the guy I'd be back in an hour, which should be plenty of time before they are ready for me.

This particular spot was very close to the front entrance to Kohl's. I plugged in and decided to just sit on the bench in the front of the store and play on my phone while waiting for a charge. This particular charging spot had 2 chargers and both had signs saying EV CHARGING ONLY. It was surprising that every minute or two somebody would come in and attempt to park in the other open EV spot only to see the sign and move on to some other spot. Everyone who walked by the spot saw my car charging and stopped to look at it. Some people took pictures of it with their phones. Others walked around the car and checked it out. I began to realize this is the best way to get the word out to regular folks is to just see an EV parked getting a charge in front of a busy store.

So I went back to the Firestone place and they were just about ready for me. I watched them pull my car into the shop and pop the hood. I was curious why they popped the hood for a tire repair. I figured they were either just checking it out, or they might be looking for some kind of maintenance item they could sell me. I watched through the window and saw several employees come over pointing at things under the hood and talking to each other. I'd love to have been able to hear what they were saying. Then the raised it up on the lift and started looking at the underside. They certainly wouldn't have found any of the traditional money-makers for them there.

Unfortunately it turns out the tire was not repairable. They said they normally stock that particular tire, but they were out of them right now. They offered me some other tire that would fit, but it wasn't low rolling resistance so I declined. Fortunately, they said the Firestone shop that was just 2 miles from my house did have them in stock. So I decided to just drive the 30 miles back home with a nail in my tire. I got the receipt from them and it had a list of all of these things they are supposed to check on the car and I thought it was interesting how they checked off "OK" on all of these items that the car does not have, including PCV, Oil level, exhaust system, etc. The guy at the very end did ask me how far I could drive in that car and I explained it to him. So they did eventually realize it was electric, I guess.

I'm back home now. I guess I'll try to get the tire replaced in the morning. All in all, I wasted many hours today doing this, but I just thought I'd share my story, since it was kind of interesting seeing people's reactions both at the store and at the Firestone place.

I got a large phillips head screw in my left front tire last week. I took my car over to Discount Tire and they fixed the tire and rotated my tires for free. I was shocked because these are the OEM tires not ones I purchase from them.

adric22 said:
so I was out driving my Leaf on the other side of town today. Rarely do I go this far. Well, my TPMS warning light came on so I stopped and aired up my tires. I figured it was just the weather change, but it turned out one of the tires had a nail in it. So there was a firestone place nearby. I drove over and asked them if they could repair the tire. They came out and looked at it and said they weren't sure because it was so close to the sidewall. They said it would be about an hour and a half before they could get to it. I decided to wait. I was thinking how nice it would be if the car could be charging during this time. I looked on plugshare and sure enough there was a Kohls right across the street with a Blink charger. So I took the car and told the guy I'd be back in an hour, which should be plenty of time before they are ready for me.

This particular spot was very close to the front entrance to Kohl's. I plugged in and decided to just sit on the bench in the front of the store and play on my phone while waiting for a charge. This particular charging spot had 2 chargers and both had signs saying EV CHARGING ONLY. It was surprising that every minute or two somebody would come in and attempt to park in the other open EV spot only to see the sign and move on to some other spot. Everyone who walked by the spot saw my car charging and stopped to look at it. Some people took pictures of it with their phones. Others walked around the car and checked it out. I began to realize this is the best way to get the word out to regular folks is to just see an EV parked getting a charge in front of a busy store.

So I went back to the Firestone place and they were just about ready for me. I watched them pull my car into the shop and pop the hood. I was curious why they popped the hood for a tire repair. I figured they were either just checking it out, or they might be looking for some kind of maintenance item they could sell me. I watched through the window and saw several employees come over pointing at things under the hood and talking to each other. I'd love to have been able to hear what they were saying. Then the raised it up on the lift and started looking at the underside. They certainly wouldn't have found any of the traditional money-makers for them there.

Unfortunately it turns out the tire was not repairable. They said they normally stock that particular tire, but they were out of them right now. They offered me some other tire that would fit, but it wasn't low rolling resistance so I declined. Fortunately, they said the Firestone shop that was just 2 miles from my house did have them in stock. So I decided to just drive the 30 miles back home with a nail in my tire. I got the receipt from them and it had a list of all of these things they are supposed to check on the car and I thought it was interesting how they checked off "OK" on all of these items that the car does not have, including PCV, Oil level, exhaust system, etc. The guy at the very end did ask me how far I could drive in that car and I explained it to him. So they did eventually realize it was electric, I guess.

I'm back home now. I guess I'll try to get the tire replaced in the morning. All in all, I wasted many hours today doing this, but I just thought I'd share my story, since it was kind of interesting seeing people's reactions both at the store and at the Firestone place.

Thanks for sharing. It is very interesting story.

adric22 said:
...Everyone who walked by the spot saw my car charging and stopped to look at it. Some people took pictures of it with their phones. Others walked around the car and checked it out. I began to realize this is the best way to get the word out to regular folks is to just see an EV parked getting a charge in front of a busy store.

Reading your observation and recalling many similar experiences I've had, it occurs to me that public charging locations are among the very few touchstones of EV life that afford it credibility for the average non-EV-aware consumer. It's probably the only experience many people have that makes EVs "real" to them, thus the gawking and picture-taking. That charging stations exist and are identified with iconic, recognized "brands" like Macys, Kohls, Walgreens, Ikea, etc., lend authenticity and credibility to the vehicles that use them. It's truly a "Eureka!" moment for many, and for this we owe a great deal to the retailers and property managers who are pioneering the movement along with us, much more than if they were merely providing a service to the tiny minority of EV drivers. The publicity, exposure and "gravitas" they confer on the EV experience is at least as valuable to furthering acceptance and growth of the EV movement.

great story and another example that signage needs to be standardized. people dont park in handicap area because that blue sign is instantly recognizable even from a distance. EV signs need to get that same recognition.

ENIAC said:
I got a large phillips head screw in my left front tire last week. I took my car over to Discount Tire and they fixed the tire and rotated my tires for free. I was shocked because these are the OEM tires not ones I purchase from them.
But you'll remember that when you need new tires! Very smart of them! :mrgreen:

EV charging spots won't get ICEd only if they are used - or seen used - by EVs to charge. If every other driver sees EVs charging atleast say once a week or even once a month in a specific plaza , that will remind them of the purpose. When many ICE drivers never or rarely see an EV using that spot legitimately for charging, they invariably tend to get ICEd and business establishments don't care as long no one complains.

When I see a charging spot vacant, I plug it in even if I don't need the charge.

mkjayakumar said:
When I see a charging spot vacant, I plug it in even if I don't need the charge.
How do you know that an EV driver who does badly need to recharge won't show up 5 minutes later? If that was me I'd be really pissed at you because if an ICE was parked there, I'd get the car towed. If it's you, there is nothing I could do.

The risk of being towed is what keeps ICE away.

But back on the topic: I haven't got much attention in the tire shop when I had a nail in one of my LEAF's tire fixed. My experience wasn't as bad as yours but not great either. The first shop I stopped at blaimed the TPMS and sent me back on the road. The second shop found it and fixed it.

mkjayakumar said:
EV charging spots won't get ICEd only if they are used - or seen used - by EVs to charge. If every other driver sees EVs charging atleast say once a week or even once a month in a specific plaza , that will remind them of the purpose. When many ICE drivers never or rarely see an EV using that spot legitimately for charging, they invariably tend to get ICEd and business establishments don't care as long no one complains.

Selfish behavior. I don't think educating the public and to prove the infrastructure is being used is a reason to block another EV driver if he/she needs a charge. If chargers were a dime a dozen, which is not, even in the highly EV'd Northern California region then it might be OK.

ericsf said:
mkjayakumar said:
How do you know that an EV driver who does badly need to recharge won't show up 5 minutes later? If that was me I'd be really pissed at you because if an ICE was parked there, I'd get the car towed. If it's you, there is nothing I could do. .
A charging protocol card would allow you to contact a charging Leaf so your needs can be accomodated. It also provides a way for interested people to ask you about the car...

http://www.evchargernews.com/chargeprotocolcard.pdf

FYI - I have a sign on my charge port just for such situations:

6863698856_4935ab8bd8.jpg

Beyond that, every where around here that I know of that there is a charging station has at least 2 chargers. I've never seen another EV charging on any of these spots around here in Ft.Worth... EVER! Never, ever! So, what's the likelihood that I'd plug my car in and suddenly two EV's would show up simultanously, desperate for a charge? Not very likely. And even if it happened, they could call me since I have my phone number printed on the car.

wishboneash said:
Selfish behavior.

Nonsense. There are typically two chargers in almost all the spots and almost always I find them empty or ICEd. If you don't plug in, you are never going to make ICE owners aware what those gizmos are, let alone make them understand why it is important to skip that spot and park elsewhere. No amount of signboards will help.

The most annoying thing to me is when the staff who regularly work in the establishment tell me that they have never seen that contraption used even one time. Betcha if you took the time to plug in our EVs every time you went to Costco, they would not have yanked it. You did a dis-service to the EV community by parking elsewhere and not plugging it in.

We are in that stage of the game now where we need to be visibly using these infrastructure as much as possible to get more awareness.

And one more thing, nowadays I end up paying a buck every time I plug in.. And Adric22's idea of putting the name and number is a good idea..

mkjayakumar said:
wishboneash said:
Selfish behavior.

Nonsense. There are typically two chargers in almost all the spots and almost always I find them empty or ICEd. If you don't plug in, you are never going to make ICE owners aware what those gizmos are, let alone make them understand why it is important to skip that spot and park elsewhere. No amount of signboards will help.

The most annoying thing to me is when the staff who regularly work in the establishment tell me that they have never seen that contraption used even one time. Betcha if you took the time to plug in our EVs every time you went to Costco, they would not have yanked it. You did a dis-service to the EV community by parking elsewhere and not plugging it in.

We are in that stage of the game now where we need to be visibly using these infrastructure as much as possible to get more awareness.

And one more thing, nowadays I end up paying a buck every time I plug in.. And Adric22's idea of putting the name and number is a good idea..

+1. I charge at a Kohl's that has four Blinks. Never seen another EV. They are free, and I thanked the manager and she said she never saw anyone charge there before.

As a Volt owner, I'm not in the same boat but it's probably frustrating to see the ICE'ing going on out there. Especially without recourse to these non-illegal parking situations.

Lately, the bigger gripe I have in my area (near Philadelphia) are some for-profit charging stations at $3.50 and $3.75/hour. That won't help grow EV adoption and just lead to empty parking spaces and expensive L2 commercial chargers.

Wouldn't it make sense to ask customers of the stores if they intend to drive EVs to visit? Places like Kohl's have repeat customers and could perhaps establish some "green interest" with flyers or at-cashier questionaires to customers with a simple yes/no such as "Do you have an EV? How many days per month would you use it here at Kohl's"?

It's interesting that the OP was not a Kohl's customer at the time but used their charger. Could these store chargers be "Opp'd" - used for opportunity charging by people not shopping at the store? If you're Opp'ing and you ICE some other EV who does show up to shop at the store - what's the recourse there? That may happen as more EVs hit the road. These stores with free charging are just asking to get Opp'd.

leafwing said:
adric22 said:

Thanks for sharing. It is very interesting story.
+1. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad they didn't try to sell you an "oil change".

Back