Strange uneven tire wear

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apara,

With those goals in mind (wear and efficiency), I would ask the alignment shop to reset your front end camber to the most negative within the normal range, say negative 1.1 to negative 1.3. I don't know what the range is for the 17" wheels (oh i see it now, in the fine print on your alignment sheet).

For 17" wheel you may try the Continental purecontact LS (similar OEM version are on Tesla model 3).

If you wanted to further increase longevity and even out wear with your next set, drop down to the 16" wheels with 205 width tire, Say 205/60r16 running above 40psi.
Some Options include:
Vredestein HiTrac (this was my first choice but the size i wanted was on backorder for many months).
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Hankook Kinergy PT (longer warranty vs 4S2 )
Continental Truecontact Tour (I almost purchased these instead of the vredestein quatrac.)

Each of the above will have its own compromises so you should look up tirerack reviews and decide for yourself. I would not personally use some of those tires in the wet cool pacific northwest winters. But in warmer climates they would do just fine. The taller sidewalls of the 16" tire/ wheel combo is more forgiving when it comes to uneven wear if the camber is not perfect.
All of the above tires will have some range deficit relative to OEM energy savers (but probably more grip depending on tire/circumstance).

Last edited:
I've had a problem from beggining with suspension when I've bought my used Leaf 2014 ZE0.
Changed everything, from shocks to forks, bushings etc.
I was at Nissan's official service center few days ago, and they've found that bushings on a front bridge are really bad.
So thankfully I have a spare bridge from another crashed Leaf 2018 so I'm about to install that to my 2014 Leaf.
But I had same problem. Uneven wear, and really hard time when doing geometry. Because someone would do a geometry, but I could notice that it still isn't right when driving...
So ye, not sure if you have a similar problem. But this was mine.
Also! Forgot to mention, a guy changing my tires noticed that one front rim is uneven too, so he moved it to the back and suggested me to buy the new ones.
So, have your rims checked too!

I also had same extra outside tire wear on my 2013. I fixed it by doing my own front alignment toe adjustment. These vehicles DO NOT have camber adjustment by default. The Nissan Alignment spec is too much front toe in that causes this.

I readjust the front toe on my 2013. And it's been great.

I also had same extra outside tire wear on my 2013. I fixed it by doing my own front alignment toe adjustment. These vehicles DO NOT have camber adjustment by default. The Nissan Alignment spec is too much front toe in that causes this.

I readjust the front toe on my 2013. And it's been great.
You make a good point on toe. Although, Apara's toe measurements are not too bad per his sheet. And he had similar tire wear results between left and right sides, despite the toe settings being closer to zero on his right side. That being said, I asked the alignment shop to set my Leaf toe settings to zero for the main purpose of improving treadlife. Apara, did your tire shop guy say it was a Toe issue, often they can tell?

The 2018 definitely has a camber adjustment for the front end, at least 1 degree (even more with a camber bolt). I cannot speak for 2013. 2018 uses most of same suspension components as 2019 (different spring for the heavier battery).

The front end camber adjustment involves loosening the 2 bolts from the MacPherson strut to steering knuckle, tilting knuckle to new angle, tightening the bolts back to spec. The steering knuckle bolt holes have a bit of play to allow for this adjustment.

The rear is a different story. It can be adjusted by adding camber plates but the hub has to be removed and it's fairly extensive job for minor adjustment.

There is no Caster adjustment to front end by default.

Last edited:
I've had a problem from beggining with suspension when I've bought my used Leaf 2014 ZE0.
Changed everything, from shocks to forks, bushings etc.
I was at Nissan's official service center few days ago, and they've found that bushings on a front bridge are really bad.
So thankfully I have a spare bridge from another crashed Leaf 2018 so I'm about to install that to my 2014 Leaf.
But I had same problem. Uneven wear, and really hard time when doing geometry. Because someone would do a geometry, but I could notice that it still isn't right when driving...
So ye, not sure if you have a similar problem. But this was mine.
Also! Forgot to mention, a guy changing my tires noticed that one front rim is uneven too, so he moved it to the back and suggested me to buy the new ones.
So, have your rims checked too!
So yeah, I've changed front subframe/bridge and forks. Now my Leaf drives perfectly after 2 and a half years that I was driving slowly over every pothole, now I can drive normally :D

Also, I've done wheels geometry. And these are results from before and after. What are your thoughts on that?
https://prnt.sc/UqLqFS8U4xZJ

Last edited:
Looking at the geometry graphs, in both before and after, the front right appears to have "knee-back" like it hit a pothole or curb [caster and set-back]. The after toe-in (1mm plus) seems excessive for good tire wear.

What do you read for wheelbase with a tape measure from the center of the front to rear axle comparing Left to Right sides? Also how does the tire "fit" in the wheel arch--comparing the gap between tire and fender? Stand back and sight in the car from the rear--do the wheels appear to track or are they offset? That might give some clues.

Back