Is the Leaf suitable for me ? Range anxiety.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
I would recommend that you sit tight for a few months and see what Nissan announces for the 2013. It's possible that the battery will get enough of a boost to make it work for you.

Thanks. I would expect the 2013 to cost a lot more though. I asked the Nissan dealer last week about the 2013 and they said they don't expect them in stock until february next year. And of course we don't know what the 2013 federal EV tax credit will actually be, if any. Obviously he wanted to sell his 2012 on the lot, but still, those were valid points.

gaswalla said:
The plug-in Prius (PIP) is your ideal car: you may never need to buy gas for your commuting since you have a short commute and can charge at work.. When it goes into hybrid mode, you get way more than 50MPG -- the PIP isn't the ideal car for many, but it is for you.. you should be able to haggle to get one under 30k, and there are 4k in incentives on top of that.

Honestly I view the PIP as more of a gimmick with its 12 mile EV range. While my 1-way commute is exactly 12 miles, it's about 4 miles city and 8 miles freeway. Not sure if that will really be all EV with the PIP. The EV chargers at work may not be available every day.

From what I know, the loaded PIP which would be comparable to my 2007 has an MSRP of $40k. The tax incentives on it are not as good due to the small battery. This means the price will be about the same as the Volt which has more EV range, but the Volt is not as good of a car as the PIP in most other aspects.

I would love the PIP if it had a battery at least twice as big as it does now.

Another argument for the Leaf I forgot to mention is the free Blink L2 charger in the Bay area. This is only available for Leaf SL strangely, not Leaf SV. And they will do it even if I buy a used one.

With the Volt and PIP, I am looking at minimum $500 for charger part and $500 install, so it adds at least $1000 to the overall cost.

MrIanB said:
Couple of questions:
Are you able to use your partner's car on days that you have a long drive?

I would expect so, for most of them.

How long will his drive be on days that you drive his?

Right now he is not working and mostly going between my home and his family. Driving less than 30 miles a day every day for sure.
The Leaf actually works much better for him than for me. But I'm the one who wants to drive the EV. :)
His 2011 is just one year old, we put zero down on it, if we sold it we would probably owe money to pay off the loan, or get net $0 best case, so that's not in the cards.

If you get the Leaf, definitely lease it and sell your Prius and save the extra money saved from no gas.

It sounds like the only way to go if I do get the Leaf.

Either way, good luck and hope the Leaf comes through for you. You will love it and save a LOT of gas $$.

It will save gas and reduce my carbon footprint, but don't think it will save any money net, the way I see it, best case it will be $ neutral, but that would still be good as I would be driving a newer EV car vs a more common 5 year old hybrid.

tcherniaev said:
Also consider that 5 minutes on QC or 30 minutes on L2 will give you a range boost you may need to make the trip. I have an L2 along my route where I can stop for lunch/dinner to add a few miles of range. The place has Subway next door, and I eat there couple of times per month now. Not my favorite choice of dining, but it works in a pinch.

Where can I find a map of the QC and L2 chargers ?
I eat Subway almost daily for lunch, lol ...

Talk with your partner and make sure you can trade cars on the days when you need to travel longer distances to make sure he is OK with driving Leaf on those days.

We took the test drive together and I asked him, he is OK to trade it. We both like the car. We are both much less enthusiastic about the Volt, even though it has no range issue.

madbrain said:
planet4ever said:
From your numbers I get 12.3 extra kWh/day, so wouldn't virtually all of your additional usage will be tier 2 and 3? Yes, you might edge into tier 4 a few times each year.
If I was in E-1 yes, that would be correct. But I am in E-6 . My current E-1 bill would be $1089/year. With E-6 it's $813. The TOU already helps even without EV. I wouldn't want to switch back to E-1.

With the TOU plans, there is a separate baseline calculation for each TOU period. The total baseline is split between each TOU period.
It is a very complicated calculation. See http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdfs/shared/solar/solareducation/calculating_baseline.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically, the amount of baseline in off-peak depends on the net generation that I have for the peak. I have put it all into a spreadsheet. My spreadsheet with all the calcs goes to column AY, ie. almost 56 columns . This also compares E6 with E1, and with solar PV and no solar PV.

Because the baseline is split between the different TOU periods, by adding the EV, I would end up hitting tier 5 for the off-peak period.
Sorry, but I think you must have a bug in your spreadsheet somewhere. I have been on E-6 for nearly five years, and I, too, have a spreadsheet. I have to admit I haven't kept it up to date recently, and they keep changing the rates every few months, but when I was keeping it up I was always within a few cents of the cost PG&E calculated. The final statement in the document you pointed to says, "Note that the top tier is the same for all TOU periods."

You can't get into tier 4 or 5 for off-peak without also getting into the same tier for the other two time periods. That is the whole point of the dynamic (by month) reallocation of percentages of baseline to the various time periods. And that is why I said in my previous post, "this is going to shift the ratio of peak to part-peak to off-peak usage." The more you charge your LEAF the more baseline you will get off-peak, and so the more of your charge will fall in the sweet spot below 130% of baseline.

I agree with your estimate of 4500kWh/year for the way you intend to use the LEAF. But that means, as I said, about 12.3kWh/day. If you are in territory X as I am and use natural gas for heating, that is an additional load just a bit over baseline. If you are currently below baseline, that can't take you much beyond 200%, meaning just at the edge of tier 4. Yes, due to seasonal variations in solar output and air conditioning, the percentages will vary by month, so you will have some tier 4 usage. If you go hog-wild with December lighting you might hit tier 5 that month (when solar is at its minimum).

Ray

planet4ever said:
Sorry, but I think you must have a bug in your spreadsheet somewhere. I have been on E-6 for nearly five years, and I, too, have a spreadsheet. I have to admit I haven't kept it up to date recently, and they keep changing the rates every few months, but when I was keeping it up I was always within a few cents of the cost PG&E calculated. The final statement in the document you pointed to says, "Note that the top tier is the same for all TOU periods."

You can't get into tier 4 or 5 for off-peak without also getting into the same tier for the other two time periods. That is the whole point of the dynamic (by month) reallocation of percentages of baseline to the various time periods. And that is why I said in my previous post, "this is going to shift the ratio of peak to part-peak to off-peak usage." The more you charge your LEAF the more baseline you will get off-peak, and so the more of your charge will fall in the sweet spot below 130% of baseline.

My spreadsheet calculates the E-6 bill within a few cents of the actual bill. I think it's off less than $1 for the total of all the bills the last 2 years. It calculates hypothetical E-1 too to see how much benefit I get from TOU . I also have my actual bills with E-1 prior to going to E-6 and the total was within one cent.

And I keep up with all the rates, as one of the columns is a the name of another sheet, which itself contains the PG&E rate-of-the-month. This field then gets used with an INDIRECT reference. So it is very easy for me to add any the new PG&E rate going forward. New rates seem to take effect on average every 3 months for the last 2 years.

I think you are correct that I can't get into tier 4 or 5 for off-peak without it being so for the other TOU periods. However, the other TOU periods in the summertime are negative so it's actually a good thing to be in tier 4 or 5 for them.

Here is an example with the actual data ending 8/19 :
peak usage -238 kWh
part peak -9 kWh
off peak +764 kWh

net kWh is 517 kWh . This period has 30 days, so that's 17 kWh per day.
Baseline is 11 kWh per day. So I already hit tier 3 (above 130% of usage).
If I was on E-1 , the bill would be $87.37 . Ie. $0.16899 per kWh average.

On E-6 according to my calculations, it is :
+$12.67 for meter charges/taxes
-$73.96 for peak
-$1.82 for part peak
+$99.11 for off peak
total $36.00 calculated. The actual E-6 bill was $36.15.

Note that $36 divided by 517 is is 0.069 per kWh . That's my average cost per kWh for my grid usage in august. Funny how that's lower than any of the rates on the E-6 or E-1 rate schedules, but this is actually correct. That's what solar PV and having negative peak usage does.

Let's add 12 kWh per day to off-peak for EV charging . There are 30 days, so that's 360 kWh per day . Let's assume this charging is 100% in off-peak .
off peak usage changed to +1124 kWh.
The total net kWh for the month jumps from 512 to 877, an increase of 71% in usage.
That's 29.23 kWh per day vs baseline of 11 . I am now in tier 4, above 200% of baseline . Which is the same price as tier 5.
According to my spreadsheet, the hypothetical E-1 bill jumps from to $208.64, whereas it would be $87.37 without the EV charging .
The bill went up 138% .
That means the net cost of charging for the month on E-1 is $121.27 . Divided by 360 kWh, it's 0.3368 per kWh .
Tier 3 is 0.29561 per kWh and tier 4 is 0.33561 . So that sounds high.
Until you realize there are also 5% utility user's tax, 0.3% of San Jose franchise tax, and a 0.00022 per kWh CEC tax.
Those are all accounted for in the spreadsheet too.
The $208.64 bill is broken down between $197.96 of energy charges, and $10.68 of CEC kwH and San Jose franchise tax.
So, in summary, adding daily EV charging if I was on E-1 would cost me $121 .

Let's recompute with E-6 .
My spreadsheet says the total cost would be $140.26 .
This breaks down as :
-$89.58 for peak
-$2.41 for part peak
+$219.58 for off-peak
+$12.67 for meter charges/taxes

The E-6 bill was $36.00 without EV charging. Going to $140.26, that's a jump of $104.26 for EV charging. The bill actually went up 289% ! Ie. it nearly quadruples for that month if I charge at home.
$104.26 divided by the 360 additional kWh means the extra kWh for EV charged were charged at a rate of 0.28961 per kWh.

Feel free to double and triple check the calculations if you want :)
But sadly, I believe they are correct.

Edit: you can PM and I will share the spreadsheet with you if you like...

I agree with your estimate of 4500kWh/year for the way you intend to use the LEAF. But that means, as I said, about 12.3kWh/day. If you are in territory X as I am and use natural gas for heating, that is an additional load just a bit over baseline. If you are currently below baseline, that can't take you much beyond 200%, meaning just at the edge of tier 4. Yes, due to seasonal variations in solar output and air conditioning, the percentages will vary by month, so you will have some tier 4 usage. If you go hog-wild with December lighting you might hit tier 5 that month (when solar is at its minimum).
Ray

I am in territory X. But at 17 kWh/day net grid usage, I am not in baseline, even with plain E-1. I am actually in low tier 3.
Adding 12 kWh per day increases net grid usage 71% and pushes me to high tier 4.
The net result is a very large electric bill increase.

On an annual basis, with E-6, the bill goes roughly from $800 to $1900 .
With E-1, it goes from $1100 to $2400 .
That is, charging 12 kWh/day at home costs an extra $1100 a year to $1300 a year depending on which rate I choose.
Of course, I choose the E-6 rate which is lower for me due to the PV.

This increase is almost exactly what it costs me in gasoline annually with my much longer range Prius.

planet4ever said:
madbrain said:
Where can I find a map of the QC and L2 chargers?
There are a number of such maps. This is my favorite:
PlugShare - Electric Vehicle Charging Network

Others you might want to check out for our area:
Search - Recargo
ChargePoint Network
Blink - BlinkMap
SF BayLEAFs Private Charging Network - Google Maps

Ray

Thanks !
Looks like the only public Quickcharger is at Stanford shopping center, a place I haven't set foot in years ... Damn.

Wow! I definitely misunderstood your situation. In your first post you said, "This is because I have solar PV right now and am strictly in baseline tiers." I took that to mean you never went past tier 1, which is clearly not true. And 764 kWh off-peak is way beyond anything I ever had pre-EV. In fact its a bit more than my highest month since getting the LEAF.

Based on a quick look, I now believe your calculations. I was never trying to claim that PG&E rates were good; we all know they are pretty awful. I was just hoping for your sake that they might not be quite as horrendous as you thought they were going to be. But facts is facts.

As you mentioned at one point, augmenting your solar system may help. We have a 7kW system, and that's enough to keep the air conditioning cost on our much more modest home way down in the summer. We tend not to think of AC as affecting off-peak usage, but on E-6 all weekend time before 5 PM is off-peak. Fortunately (now that I have the LEAF) that's also when our panels are working at their highest rate.

Ray

planet4ever said:
As you mentioned at one point, augmenting your solar system may help. We have a 7kW system, and that's enough to keep the air conditioning cost on our much more modest home way down in the summer. We tend not to think of AC as affecting off-peak usage, but on E-6 all weekend time before 5 PM is off-peak. Fortunately (now that I have the LEAF) that's also when our panels are working at their highest rate.

Yes, I am definitely going to augment the solar system. I have a 6.58 kW system right now. I will be going to 9.4 kW . This will cost only about $5k after incentives.
This is the max amount of PV I can add without upgrading the main electrical panel from 200A to 400A.
This extra PV will reduce my annual E-6 bill from $800 to just meter charges with E-6 or about $150/year.
Saving $650/year, that means about 7.5 year payoff.

If I add the EV charging, the same $5000 PV expansion would save about $1400 a year and pay off in only 3.5 years - all charging free afterwards basically.

I just checked other bills, for may, june and july I had net kWh of only 262, 169 and 211 respectively. For those months I was definitely in baseline, at least on E-1.
But august and september is when I use the most AC so my grid kWh are the highest. In the cold months the AC consumption goes way down but the spa costs much more to heat...

You need to plan for AC to cool the garage, or you will have big loses in your LEAF's range. A minimum of 10% the first year and maybe 5% or 10% each additional year.

I agree with planet4ever that with your driving pattern a Leaf is not a good fit. You simply have too many days when you'd need the Leaf to go further than it can comfortably go. That's not a bad thing, it just means you have a typical pattern and you don't always have a second car available.

The best advice would be to keep the Prius. If you want to experience an electric car get a Volt.

A few points. One is that you wouldn't need a 240v charger for the Volt. So not getting a free one wouldn't really be a loss. I'd also wonder how "free" the installation would be. Second is that, unlike Rat, I've never been able to get 70 miles on a single charge with freeway driving, even when staying under 65 MPH. That may be because I'm unwilling to take the car to turtle and/or a result of the instrumentation in my Leaf. Hard to say. Third is that I doubt you'd lose 5% or 10% of battery capacity a year. If you leased for three years maybe 10%, and you would see that without putting AC in your garage, which strikes me as a crazy idea.

madbrain said:
... Another argument for the Leaf I forgot to mention is the free Blink L2 charger in the Bay area. This is only available for Leaf SL strangely, not Leaf SV. And they will do it even if I buy a used one.

With the Volt and PIP, I am looking at minimum $500 for charger part and $500 install, so it adds at least $1000 to the overall cost.
In most of the EV Project locations, the Volt also qualified. Is that not so in your area?

pchilds said:
You need to plan for AC to cool the garage, or you will have big loses in your LEAF's range. A minimum of 10% the first year and maybe 5% or 10% each additional year.

It's a pretty big garage, 3 cars with a 16 foot ceiling.

davewill said:
madbrain said:
... Another argument for the Leaf I forgot to mention is the free Blink L2 charger in the Bay area. This is only available for Leaf SL strangely, not Leaf SV. And they will do it even if I buy a used one.

In most of the EV Project locations, the Volt also qualified. Is that not so in your area?

No, I have checked, the only car that qualifies in my area is the Leaf SL . Volt and Leaf SV do not qualify.

pchilds said:
pchilds just says "SoCal" for location. If he's out in the desert maybe he needs garage AC, but that would be silly in the San Jose area. My battery temperature never goes over 6 bars, and I'm in what may be the hottest spot in Silicon Valley.

Ray

SanDust said:
I agree with planet4ever that with your driving pattern a Leaf is not a good fit. You simply have too many days when you'd need the Leaf to go further than it can comfortably go. That's not a bad thing, it just means you have a typical pattern and you don't always have a second car available.

The best advice would be to keep the Prius. If you want to experience an electric car get a Volt.

Financially for sure just keep my 07 Prius is the best, but where is the fun in that :) ?
I could easily just keep that car for another 3 to 5 years and it would be by far the most economical in terms of fuel economy, as well as lower and declining registration and insurance costs.

Life is short however, and I do like to try the new technology.

A few points. One is that you wouldn't need a 240v charger for the Volt. So not getting a free one wouldn't really be a loss.

Well, maybe I wouldn't technically need one, but I would want one for sure.

I'd also wonder how "free" the installation would be.

One electrician quoted me only $500 in labor for the charger install.
The blink program covers up to $1200 labor.
If if the EV project way overcharges for their labor, I think it's likely to still be under $1200 and ie. so I am assuming free to me.

Second is that, unlike Rat, I've never been able to get 70 miles on a single charge with freeway driving, even when staying under 65 MPH. That may be because I'm unwilling to take the car to turtle and/or a result of the instrumentation in my Leaf. Hard to say.

I would probably not ever want to take the car to turtle.

I don't need 70 miles of freeway driving, my longest regular weekday trip is less than 70 miles freeway. It is a 60 mile trip, 52 miles freeway and 8 miles city.
I seldom stay under 65 on the freeway, unless there is traffic.

Third is that I doubt you'd lose 5% or 10% of battery capacity a year. If you leased for three years maybe 10%, and you would see that without putting AC in your garage, which strikes me as a crazy idea.

I don't need 70 miles of freeway driving, my longest regular trip is 52 miles freeway.

AC in my garage is indeed a crazy idea, and I would not consider it. With the PG&E rates, it probably would cost more in electricity than the cost of a new battery pack. On a lease I probably wouldn't care about a 10% battery loss after 3 years.
SanDust said:

Financially for sure just keep my 07 Prius is the best, but where is the fun in that :) ?
I could easily just keep that car for another 3 to 5 years and it would be by far the most economical in terms of fuel economy, as well as lower and declining registration and insurance costs.

Life is short however, and I do like to try the new technology.

A few points. One is that you wouldn't need a 240v charger for the Volt. So not getting a free one wouldn't really be a loss.

Well, maybe I wouldn't technically need one, but I would want one for sure.

I'd also wonder how "free" the installation would be.

One electrician quoted me only $500 in labor for the charger install.
The blink program covers up to $1200 labor.
If if the EV project way overcharges for their labor, I think it's likely to still be under $1200 and ie. so I am assuming free to me.

Second is that, unlike Rat, I've never been able to get 70 miles on a single charge with freeway driving, even when staying under 65 MPH. That may be because I'm unwilling to take the car to turtle and/or a result of the instrumentation in my Leaf. Hard to say.

I don't need 70 miles of freeway driving, my longest regular weekday trip is less than 70 miles freeway. It is a 60 mile trip, 52 miles freeway and 8 miles city.
I seldom stay under 65 on the freeway, unless there is traffic.

Third is that I doubt you'd lose 5% or 10% of battery capacity a year. If you leased for three years maybe 10%, and you would see that without putting AC in your garage, which strikes me as a crazy idea.

I don't need 70 miles of freeway driving, my longest regular trip is 52 miles freeway.

AC in my garage is indeed a crazy idea, and I would not consider it. With the PG&E rates, it probably would cost more in electricity than the cost of a new battery pack. On a lease I probably wouldn't care about a 10% battery loss after 3 years.

madbrain said:
I wouldn't either. That was a typo on my part. I meant to say I've never taken it all the way down to zero. Even when the GOM said "--" and there were no bars (happened once) no turtle appeared and it drove normally the three blocks to the grocery store and back.

The key point, I think, is the availability of the other car when you need it. You need to have the other driver willing to take the Leaf when you need the longer range. My wife actually prefers to drive the Leaf, which has turned out to be a drawback. I was used to having my car to myself. Now I have to experience radio station changes, seats and mirrors being readjusted, A/C changed, etc. But I never have trouble getting the Acura when I need it, which is almost never.

Rat said:
The key point, I think, is the availability of the other car when you need it.

Yes, that does seem to be the key point.

You need to have the other driver willing to take the Leaf when you need the longer range. My wife actually prefers to drive the Leaf, which has turned out to be a drawback. I was used to having my car to myself. Now I have to experience radio station changes, seats and mirrors being readjusted, A/C changed, etc. But I never have trouble getting the Acura when I need it, which is almost never.

We are within 1" of each other so there aren't really any adjustments to speak of for seats & mirrors.
I would hope the car has enough radio presets for 2 people. I only ever listen to 2 stations personally. For AC it really changes with the weather, not really a per-driver thing.

The one really sticky thing is that I have a vanity plate on my 07 Prius that my partner doesn't want to be seen driving with in front of his family. I may have to give this plate up altogether.

I'm not sure that I can give it up :). I love having my car photographed. I see people in my mirror shooting it all the time. It just happened again an hour ago.

Ok, so now you have to post the photo.

I would say you are over thinking this, and you already have made up your mind, the only real question is used or new.

I like new. Money is not why you are buying the car, making a statement is what you are buying, and I support that statement. Life is not always about what is fiscally responsible, it is often about what is responsible.

The Rav4 EV may be an option, but without the support of the company that is making it, I would ask myself is it worth supporting? They did crush a lot of old EV Rav4s, about 200 survived. With a mesh of Tesla parts in it, it is a real car that delivers good perfomance - I test drove one today in Santa Monica - but it does not have the real commitment that Nissan has given the auto world - something to consider.

As for the Leaf, living on a hill like you do you will never need to charge it to 100% at home. For those long trips you may find that the feeling of driving a power generation station overcomes your need for speed. Regenerating energy in a Prius is not the same as doing so in a vehicle that NEVER burns gasoline.

Dump the pump. Live the dream.

Back