Is there any way to test the heat pump operation on SV/SL?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelb

Hi,
we have a 2015 SV (so it has the heat-pump) that we purchased used last winter. After a few weeks of ownership, we had a cold enough spell for me to notice that the heat would only work on heat pump but when it got below 10-15F, you would get no heat at all. The dealer fixed it on warranty (to the tune of about $2-3k I believe :eek: but it was it cost us nothing ) and it appeared to work correctly after that however by then it was the end of the winter so hard to test. Now that it's cold again, I'm noticing that my range is taking a very significant hit even when it's not that cold so I'm wondering if my HVAC is no longer using the heat-pump and just using induction heating.
Is there an easy way for owners to test the system to see if it's in fact going from heat-pump to induction appropriately? Is there any way to set the temperature at which this happens (which, if nothing else, would make testing easier).

Let me know. Thanks,
Mike

The heat pump is normally only really effective above 25F or so, and it is not noticeably effective at all below about 15F. Your car may be behaving normally. It may also have a problem with the other heater, the PTC resistance unit, if there really is no heat below the temp at which the heatpump is ineffective. You should be able to see if both units are running by looking at the energy usage screen, with Eco mode off. You should see a HVAC draw of 3kw, at least until the cabin starts to get warm. If you see much less, then one of the heaters is dead.

Back