It's 38 degrees!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaShocker

I am soooooooooo happy the folks at Nissan Engineering provides an indicator to let me know when the temp outside is at or below 38 degrees!!! :lol: In reality.....REALLY? We are not wise enough to figure this out? And why 38 degrees??? Why not 32, or 0, or any other temp. than 38 degrees? GOD LOVE THE JAPANEESE!!!!

Isn't that the temperature that ice can start forming on roads? My i-MiEV had an alert at the same temperature. It used a small snowflake icon on its display.

IowaShocker said:
I am soooooooooo happy the folks at Nissan Engineering provides an indicator to let me know when the temp outside is at or below 38 degrees!!! :lol: In reality.....REALLY? We are not wise enough to figure this out? And why 38 degrees??? Why not 32, or 0, or any other temp. than 38 degrees? GOD LOVE THE JAPANEESE!!!!

This is a common feature of many cars. I first experienced it in a BMW in Germany in the 1980s, so it's far from new nor is it unique to Japan. In Germany the warning was at 3 degrees C - similar to 38F.

Basically this is a freeze warning. If the car temperature sensor is 38 degrees then it is possible - through sensor inaccuracy and natural temperature variation of local zones - for the road surface to be frozen if there is any moisture on it. This is particularly true of bridge surfaces. Most road surfaces are on top of earth, which is naturally insulated so the temperature change is slower. Bridges are made of concrete and metal - two materials that transfer heat rapidly when the outside air is colder - and are exposed to air underneath speeding up the process.

In most situations people are well aware that it's cold, however sometimes temperature falls quickly and takes people by surprise, which is why these warnings are emitted.

IowaShocker said:

Most cars I've had have the indicator. It comes on at 3C and as said, it is a warning that the roads may be icy at this temperature. You'd be surprised how ignorant lots of people are.

I recon as such...just funny when it dings....and yes, the "snowflake" pops up as well! I think we are just a little cynical here in central Iowa, where basically its below 38 degrees from Thanksgiving till St. Paddy's Day anyway!!!

Happy LEAF'ing Day!!! :p

IowaShocker said:
I recon as such...just funny when it dings....and yes, the "snowflake" pops up as well! I think we are just a little cynical here in central Iowa, where basically its below 38 degrees from Thanksgiving till St. Paddy's Day anyway!!!

Happy LEAF'ing Day!!! :p

Same here, but it can be a useful reminder that it got above freezing today. So when you start the car and it dings, so what. If you are driving and it dings, well then you know it got above freezing and there might be some black ice mixed in with the almost permanent slush, ice, and snow.

johnrhansen said:
you can turn it off. go to alarms in the little menu. the same one where you turn the charging and climate control timer
Yep - Turned that off on my car a long time ago. Very annoying. Totally useless, IMO.

Back